Haiti Travel Warning

SimGuy

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Little to no impact. Labadee is in the middle of nowhere and walled off from the rest of Haiti.

"Middle of nowhere" may be a bit of a stretch. It may seem like that when you're not allowed to leave, but it's only about 10km of windy road (even less as the crow flies) from a city of nearly a quarter-of-a-million people. 

1 minute ago, Zacharius said:

"Middle of nowhere" may be a bit of a stretch. It may seem like that when you're not allowed to leave, but it's only about 10km of windy road (even less as the crow flies) from a city of nearly a quarter-of-a-million people. 

It's an extremely rural area. You aren't getting anyone in or near Labadee that isn't a worker there.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's an extremely rural area. You aren't getting anyone in or near Labadee that isn't a worker there.

I think we may have to disagree about rural. I've been to Cap-Haitien and it's really about 200,000 to 250,000 people, and is literally only 10 kilometers of winding roads from the gate to Labadee. Yes, you aren't getting anyone in Labadee who isn't a worker, and it may seem like you're in the middle of nowhere when you come in on a ship, can't leave, and head out on a ship without seeing anything else, but I personally wouldn't call Labadee "in the middle of nowhere". 

2 hours ago, Zacharius said:

I think we may have to disagree about rural. I've been to Cap-Haitien and it's really about 200,000 to 250,000 people, and is literally only 10 kilometers of winding roads from the gate to Labadee. Yes, you aren't getting anyone in Labadee who isn't a worker, and it may seem like you're in the middle of nowhere when you come in on a ship, can't leave, and head out on a ship without seeing anything else, but I personally wouldn't call Labadee "in the middle of nowhere". 

This is absolutely true. I know the use of Google Maps is pretty much an unknown skill for Royal Caribbean passengers, but give it a Goog and find out for yourself.

Also absolutely true is that you as a passenger are absolutely forbidden to leave the Labadee compound unless you are on a Royal excursion or going on the zip line. Which is also weird, because there are passengers who would like to visit family in the area who are declined leaving. There is also the occasional freak like myself who would like to venture outside the gate and they are quite serious about the “you can not leave” while hold a large semi automatic weapon.

1 hour ago, bobroo said:

This is absolutely true. I know the use of Google Maps is pretty much an unknown skill for Royal Caribbean passengers, but give it a Goog and find out for yourself.

Also absolutely true is that you as a passenger are absolutely forbidden to leave the Labadee compound unless you are on a Royal excursion or going on the zip line. Which is also weird, because there are passengers who would like to visit family in the area who are declined leaving. There is also the occasional freak like myself who would like to venture outside the gate and they are quite serious about the “you can not leave” while hold a large semi automatic weapon.

I would say that's a little unfair to say Royal Caribbean passengers don't know how to use Google Maps. Certainly, Matt knows all about Labadee and that it's in Haiti...he and I just disagree about our definitions, no biggie.

I think if someone shows up on a cruise in Labadee expecting to visit family, they clearly haven't done one ounce of research. And if you really do want to visit Haiti, I recommend it highly, it's a great place with friendly people. I have enjoyed my time in Cap-Haitien and Port-au-Prince both. 

7 hours ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

I am confident that if the advisories affect the safety of their passengers, Royal will make the proper itinerary changes. 

True

Our San Juan stop was cancelled last July on our Harmony cruise due to the riots.  We were sad, but glad to be safe.