Mandatory Temperature Screenings

Just got this from Royal Caribbean:

Dear Guest,

Over the last few weeks, we’ve implemented new and enhanced health & safety protocols, along with travel regulations, to ensure we maintain a healthy environment onboard as developments related to coronavirus COVID-19 continue to change globally. While we continue to assess the impact, we’ve decided to add a new health screening which supports all our initiatives put in place to help keep you healthy & safe!

So, starting March 6th, 2020 on all Royal Caribbean International ships, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests and crewmembers on embarkation day. If your temperature is above 100.4°F or 38° C, you and those in your party will undergo a secondary health screening. Temperatures will be taken with a digital, no-touch thermometer. So, no need to worry.

If you require a secondary screening, this is what you can expect:

• Your temperature will be checked again.
  • You’ll undergo a pulse oximetry reading. This means, a small device will be placed on your finger to measure your oxygen level.
  • If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels. This will help ensure you are not denied boarding if you are healthy otherwise.
  • Then, a medical professional will check you for flu-like symptoms, respiratory illness, etc., and would make a final assessment to understand if you’re fit to sail.

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation while we do everything possible to keep our ships safe for you! We look forward to seeing you onboard!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

(And apologies, this probably should have gone on the RC News page. Mods, feel free to move it.)

This is interesting.  Especially stating if you have a fever, don't even show up and you'll get a full refund.  I wonder if they require any proof?  If not, this may give a lot of people a way out who were worried about the virus but didn't want to take a financial hit so they planned on sticking it out.

43 minutes ago, tmp916 said:

This is interesting.  Especially stating if you have a fever, don't even show up and you'll get a full refund.  I wonder if they require any proof?  If not, this may give a lot of people a way out who were worried about the virus but didn't want to take a financial hit so they planned on sticking it out.

Seems like a total loophole if you just dont want to go anymore,  claim you are sick.   Im my experience even if they want proof almost any doctor will give you a medical certificate even if you just say you feel bad.  My own Dr would probably just give me one if I asked her for no particular reason.  Not to mention how would they even validate doctors in totally different countries or languages.   

Its not a refund of course,  but its still pretty good option.

12 minutes ago, HAK1906 said:

Received this email enroute to the airport flying to Miami for Symphony Saturday. I would I am actually more concerned about the airports and plane than the cruise. Royal Caribbean is taking ALL precautions. 

+1 on this, and I am already in the hotel at the port in Miami .

I’m sure it’s a calculated decision where they had to weigh the risk of refunding cruise fare vs the risk of potentially spreading this or other illnesses.  I think we got a hint of this yesterday when we saw the post where the cruiser was able to get a cruise rescheduled when he documented a no-shit flu diagnosis.  That is unheard of but a Royal did it anyway.  Sometimes it’s best just to do the right thing.  Will some take advantage by feigning illness just to get their cruise postponed ?  Probably. But they will feel better and Royal will get credit for doing the right thing.

short notice on the below for those who are travelling from far away especially via vehicle. My doctor doesn’t work on Fridays. 
“If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels. This will help ensure you are not denied boarding if you are healthy otherwise.

• Then, a medical professional will check you for flu-like symptoms, respiratory illness, etc., and would make a final assessment to understand if you’re fit to sail”.

As someone who is getting over the flu, and had a cruise set for this Sunday, 8 March 20 on OAS, I can tell you they moved our cruise to Dec 20 without much of a fuss. I got the flu on Tuesday, 3 March and I bet I could pass those medical tests easily so it doesn’t provide much comfort to the fellow passengers. I never had above a 99 fever and the major symptoms were gone within 48 hours leaving me with a bad cough and very snotty nose. But, the doctor told me to stay away from people for 7-10 days as I could be still contagious. 

4 minutes ago, Tim B. said:

As someone who is getting over the flu, and had a cruise set for this Sunday, 8 March 20 on OAS, I can tell you they moved our cruise to Dec 20 without much of a fuss. I got the flu on Tuesday, 3 March and I bet I could pass those medical tests easily so it doesn’t provide much comfort to the fellow passengers. I never had above a 99 fever and the major symptoms were gone within 48 hours leaving me with a bad cough and very snotty nose. But, the doctor told me to stay away from people for 7-10 days as I could be still contagious. 

So sorry to hear that you got the flu! So you got a doctors note and called RCL to postpone the trip?

4 minutes ago, Anastasia said:

So sorry to hear that you got the flu! So you got a doctors note and called RCL to postpone the trip?

I did get a doctors note indicating the positive test for Influenza-  Strain A. My MEI TA Michelle Cunningham did all the work while I slept and took tamiflu. And, that is why a TA is worth their weight in gold when it comes to these issues. I also had insurance for the trip too. 

Just now, Tim B. said:

I did get a doctors note indicating the positive test for Influenza-  Strain A. My TA Michelle Cunningham did all the work while I slept and took tamiflu. And, that is why a TA is worth their weight in gold when it comes to these issues. I also had insurance for the trip too. 

Yeah I have a TA too but through Vacations To Go. So did you have to forward the note to your TA? How did it work?

3 minutes ago, Anastasia said:

Yeah I have a TA too but through Vacations To Go. So did you have to forward the note to your TA? How did it work?

I gave her the Dr’s note in a PDF and she worked the magic but I don’t believe she actually had to use it. At this point the mere mention of the flu will have them giving a future cruise credit to get you off and away from the ship. I can’t say I blame them with all the bad press.

Just look at this months RCI stock price and you will see why they are so worried.

If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels.

Many physicians groups charge a fee to process such a document not associated with a paid visit. Will RCI reimburse for that cost if the letter isn't needed? DOUBT IT.

And what is considered a "normal" pulse-ox for those without chronic respiratory conditions? How low is "too low" in the normal screening? Has THAT ever been published?

1 hour ago, Tim B. said:

I gave her the Dr’s note in a PDF and she worked the magic but I don’t believe she actually had to use it. At this point the mere mention of the flu will have them giving a future cruise credit to get you off and away from the ship. I can’t say I blame them with all the bad press.

Just look at this months RCI stock price and you will see why they are so worried.

The important thing to note here is....in the past, the cruise line would NOT have given Tim the option to reschedule his cruise.  He would have had to cancel with full cancellation penalty and deal with filing insurance claims and all of the madness that entails.  It’s nice to see that the cruise Line did the right thing and granted the reschedule.  Maybe it will start a new trend where, if you do the right thing (tell them you are sick, up front), then they will do the right thing (reschedule your cruise).

9 hours ago, carrie76 said:

Would the refund/credit be issued to only the sick passenger or entire party?

Good question.  We got our email notification last night at 6:52PM.  We have received emails from RCL everyday this week with updates on our Sunday cruise.  Celebrity sent the same email - but much earlier in the day yesterday.

Refunding sick passengers was not new as of yesterday for RCL.  They have been doing that for weeks!

Agree with Royal doing the right thing. I believe not all will and this makes loyal customers. I am glad I already scheduled a Dr visit this Monday with a 22nd departure date. Not sick but wanted pre-check and meds prior to leaving. Now I can have the documentation (asthma normal baseline oxygen saturation level) ready if needed.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

And what is considered a "normal" pulse-ox for those without chronic respiratory conditions? How low is "too low" in the normal screening? Has THAT ever been published?

A normal baseline pulse-ox for someone without chronic respiratory disease is typically greater than 92%(some literature may say higher numbers) Anything lower than that starts becoming cause for concern. 

58 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

Wonder what their time frame for this is? I have received nothing from RCCL or my TA for our Apr. 04 sailing. Maybe they're waiting till closer to begin the email flood? 

Yes, I would guess that your cruise is beyond RCL's time scope...

I leave on Sunday and have asthma. Good thing I have an appointment with my GP anyway this afternoon. My previous GP retired and I just happened to have an appointment to establish a new one this afternoon. Guess I actually have a reason to see him today... Gonna get my pulse ox letter. I agree it doesn't give us much time to get the letter. Hopefully, they can produce it today. Otherwise, ?‍♀️

10 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

I leave on Sunday and have asthma. Good thing I have an appointment with my GP anyway this afternoon. My previous GP retired and I just happened to have an appointment to establish a new one this afternoon. Guess I actually have a reason to see him today... Gonna get my pulse ox letter. I agree it doesn't give us much time to get the letter. Hopefully, they can produce it today. Otherwise, ?‍♀️

They'll only need it, according to them, if you have a fever upon initial screening and require secondary screening.  Hopefully most people would pass the initial screening.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:40 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

They'll only need it, according to them, if you have a fever upon initial screening and require secondary screening.  Hopefully most people would pass the initial screening.

No issues at all. They scanned us very quickly as we approached security. I had my letter just in case.