Covid-19 and RC Revenues?

With Covid-19 continuing, at least in the near future and cruisers cancelling, albeit in small numbers, where does RC go to keep revenues up?

Do they reduce drink and dining packages to try entice people who are going to buy these things at reduced rates, when they normally wouldn't? Is this not necessary since a majority of RC cruisers already purchase packages? 

Do they reduce cruise fares in general to fill ships?

Stand pat and wait for this like Sars, H1N1, the Swine Flu to blow over?

Hopefully they will redeploy one of their ships to Australia over winter. They can offer cruises up to the Islands.

Having brought Spectrum down to Australia for the complementary cruises it would seem odd not to use it for sailing while it is here.

I am hoping this is one of the reasons they have delayed the deployment schedule while they work on new itineraries. I am thing they could offer short 3 and 4 day cruises to nowhere as the cruise planner prices per day are usually higher than longer cruises.

We are senior citizens who love to cruise however my wife is really upset about this virus scare and will not enjoy the 12 day cruise we have scheduled for this weekend.  Probably our 10th cruise we have taken on Royal Carribbean.  They aren't offering a  refund or credit for those uncomfortable. We would gladly accept a credit for another RCCL cruise in the future once this virus scare is over.  And I am sure many other seasoned cruisers feel the same way.  However if Royal Carribbean remains inflexible and forces us to go on a cruise in which she'll she'll never be comfortable -- with out regard to our health concerns and without the flexibility to reschedule with a credit, we will never go on any cruise by  Royal Caribbean.  So really they need to make a decision, offer me a credit for another cruise in the future or be inflexible and never sail with them again, ever.

@Zacks  Hi and welcome to the RCB forums!  I understand where you are coming from.  We on the senior bubble and are scheduled to cruise this Sunday.  Currently RCL is not offering an option like you are describing at this time.  But, I am guessing if the virus scare keeps getting worse then RCL just might - but again not now.  If we had an option to just cancel we would, but we can't.  On another RCB thread, some cruisers have reported sending doctor notes to travel agents which have worked.  I am not sure about this, but maybe this could be an option for you.  Good luck to you whatever you decide.

1 hour ago, YOLO said:

@Zacks  Hi and welcome to the RCB forums!  I understand where you are coming from.  We on the senior bubble and are scheduled to cruise this Sunday.  Currently RCL is not offering an option like you are describing at this time.  But, I am guessing if the virus scare keeps getting worse then RCL just might - but again not now.  If we had an option to just cancel we would, but we can't.  On another RCB thread, some cruisers have reported sending doctor notes to travel agents which have worked.  I am not sure about this, but maybe this could be an option for you.  Good luck to you whatever you decide.

I Guess you should try and cancel ASAP as they just announced they allow to cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise , hopefully the 48 hours is from the sail date so you should have time , good luck.

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I Guess you should try and cancel ASAP as they just announced they allow to cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise , hopefully the 48 hours is from the sail date so you should have time , good luck.

Are you talking about this RCL announcement from today?  If so this only applies to Asia itineraries...

image.thumb.png.6c839d8f15e2a021e3d09e5b5c056998.png

2 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Are you talking about this RCL announcement from today?  If so this only applies to Asia itineraries...

image.thumb.png.6c839d8f15e2a021e3d09e5b5c056998.png

No , 

I am talking about the message : 

CONCERNED ABOUT TRAVELING?

LOOKING FOR FLEXIBILITY IN YOUR PLANS?

We get it. Whether you’re already booked on a cruise, or are thinking about it, we want you to Cruise with Confidence. That’s why Royal Caribbean will let you cancel any cruise that sets sail from now through July 31, 2020. Whether it’s a booking you already have or one you make right now, you’re covered. As long as you cancel at least 48 hours before you set sail, you’ll receive a Future Cruise Credit. The credit can be used toward any cruise that sets sail through December 31, 2021.

Looking to cancel your cruise? We’re sorry to hear that. 

16 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

We are booked on the Carnival Breeze on the 21st and have a price guarantee.  I keep thinking the price will drop to fill cabins from those who have cancelled.  It hasn't happened yet.  I check about every 3 days.

I realize I'm responding to my own post, but looks like even if our Carnival Breeze trip doesn't re price, we still get $200 per cabin (2 cabins in our case) cruise credit.  That's pretty awesome considering the price we paid to begin with.

8 hours ago, Zacks said:

We are senior citizens who love to cruise however my wife is really upset about this virus scare and will not enjoy the 12 day cruise we have scheduled for this weekend.  Probably our 10th cruise we have taken on Royal Carribbean.  They aren't offering a  refund or credit for those uncomfortable. We would gladly accept a credit for another RCCL cruise in the future once this virus scare is over.  And I am sure many other seasoned cruisers feel the same way.  However if Royal Carribbean remains inflexible and forces us to go on a cruise in which she'll she'll never be comfortable -- with out regard to our health concerns and without the flexibility to reschedule with a credit, we will never go on any cruise by  Royal Caribbean.  So really they need to make a decision, offer me a credit for another cruise in the future or be inflexible and never sail with them again, ever.

I may be repeating what others have said? They are refunding to within 48 hours of sailing ... Are you referring to this weekend as in Tomorrow? If so I would call (more than once if necessary) and see if you can find satisfaction...

8 hours ago, Zacks said:

Call them about the NEW 48 CANCELLATION RULE

On 3/5/2020 at 7:53 PM, FManke said:

With Covid-19 continuing, at least in the near future and cruisers cancelling, albeit in small numbers, where does RC go to keep revenues up?

Do they reduce drink and dining packages to try entice people who are going to buy these things at reduced rates, when they normally wouldn't? Is this not necessary since a majority of RC cruisers already purchase packages? 

Do they reduce cruise fares in general to fill ships?

Stand pat and wait for this like Sars, H1N1, the Swine Flu to blow over?

My thoughts:

This isn't the first time they've had to deal with circumstances like this.  Even 9-11 hit them.  They'll weather through this and once CV settles down it won't take long for Royal to be back to normal. 

I don't see them dropping package prices in a significant way.  That's just bad marketing looking long term.  If they were to slash package pricing it might generate some near term cash flow but it weakens the product in the long run.  A year from now when this is a distant memory if they try to return to "normal" pricing guests will revolt on the grounds "if they could sell it for X last year why is it Y now?".  They will offer some sales like we are used to seeing on Black Friday but don't expect drastic price cuts on packages.

Cruise fares will lower to fill ships.  They already have.  Ovation 3 nights on May 19 - $99.  Wow! 

Ships may sail at lower counts in the near term.  When filling ships at low prices I think guests are more likely to splurge for packages or other onboard purchases because they got such a great deal on the cruise.  Granted not all will.  I still think that is a better strategy - get people on the ship to cover minimal operating costs or at least minimize losses, hope some will spend money on board.  Automatic gratuity will help to keep crew employed rather than mass layoffs.