No corkage fee

Matt

I've been bringing wine onboard my Royal Caribbean cruises since Feb 2012 and I think of the 6 bottles I've brought (2 per cruise), I think I've only paid the corkage fee twice.

On my Navigator cruise I didn't get charged for either bottle. In fact, one waiter asked about where I got it and I told him I picked it up in Galveston and still wasn't charged.

I wanted to let everyone know that the rule isn't be enforced consistently but you can absolutely bring bottles of wine onboard when you board and roll the dice if they hit you with the $25 corkage fee.

P.S. I should say I don't tell the waiter I brought the bottle onboard or ask about the corkage fee. If the waiter asks, I tell the truth that I brought it onboard but I don't advertise that I'm bringing my own wine.

We just arrived home from a Rhapsody cruise review submitted, but talking to a new cruiser at dinner on the last night he told me he opened his one and only bottle of red to have a drink in his cabin on the first night out.  

He then took the open bottle (screw cap) to the MDR several nights later and was charges the $25 corkage for the pleasure, as he only ever has one glass at dinner he was very disillusioned and the worst part was the bottle only cost him $18 AUD. Well actually it cost him $43 dollars odd.

We call that "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

We just arrived home from a Rhapsody cruise review submitted, but talking to a new cruiser at dinner on the last night he told me he opened his one and only bottle of red to have a drink in his cabin on the first night out.  

He then took the open bottle (screw cap) to the MDR several nights later and was charges the $25 corkage for the pleasure, as he only ever has one glass at dinner he was very disillusioned and the worst part was the bottle only cost him $18 AUD. Well actually it cost him $43 dollars odd.

We call that "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

I go in expecting to pay the corkage fee every time, as he should have.  He could have lied and said he paid the corkage fee elsewhere but it was his choice to risk it.

Regardless, I find the bring your own wine option as a money-saving option and most times the corkage fee does exceed the value of the wine I drink.  But overall, I'm saving money versus buying wine packages.

The other thing is I really believe the bring your own option was meant for people to drink wine in their stateroom primarily with the option to bring it to dinner.

Yes I agree Matt - I have only taken wine onboard once, this last cruise to consume in our stateroom.   But for a first timer who reads all the "Information Terms and Conditions" then the different countries visited "Quarantine Laws and Local Laws". 

I still laugh at the sign that they have at Sydney OPT that says "Guests are not allowed to bring Alcoholic drinks on board ........... but in fine print you can have two bottles of wine for personal consumption.

That is why I joined this wonderful blog to join in on conversations and learn along the way.

Yes I agree Matt - I have only taken wine onboard once, this last cruise to consume in our stateroom.   But for a first timer who reads all the "Information Terms and Conditions" then the different countries visited "Quarantine Laws and Local Laws". 

I still laugh at the sign that they have at Sydney OPT that says "Guests are not allowed to bring Alcoholic drinks on board ........... but in fine print you can have two bottles of wine for personal consumption.

That is why I joined this wonderful blog to join in on conversations and learn along the way.

Haha, I know what you mean.  A lot of people take issue with the lack of consistency with enforcing rules sometimes and otherwise not.  But I agree, it's interesting how the rules go these days :D

Maybe they should forego the corkage fee since you can only bring two bottles on. How much could it really make the company? Leave it listed, but not collect. I think it would go further with brand loyalty instead of being that lingering annoyance. Or even a crown and anchor perk? And I bet people would still spend the money elsewhere.

Maybe they should forego the corkage fee since you can only bring two bottles on. How much could it really make the company? Leave it listed, but not collect. I think it would go further with brand loyalty instead of being that lingering annoyance. Or even a crown and anchor perk? And I bet people would still spend the money elsewhere.

It essentially is free, or at least has been in my experience.  I'm okay with this inconsistency with collecting since it tends to work out to my benefit.