Suite room prices

basil

I have a cruise booked on the Symphony of the Seas for April 11th. I always check to see what rooms are available, I do it on expedia because it's easier for me to navigate.  I saw this price for a room for 4. Dosen't know if it is a mistake, but it let me take the booking all the way to the end. It shows one room left. Just thought I would share and get your thoughts. 

Screenshot_20200305-090319_Chrome.jpg

This is what the RCCL site shows???

Junior Suite

An incredible intimate suite with a great view.

Beds
  • Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King bed
  • One double sofa bed in staterooms with up to 4 and 5 guests
  • One Pullman bed in staterooms with up to 5 guests
Size
  • Stateroom: 287 sq. ft.
  • Balcony: 80 sq. ft.
OccupancyUp to 5 guests
View Details
From$2,005*
USD /PERSON
from $191 /month info
SELECT

The only weird thing about this is that Junior Suites are more expensive than the Grand Suite. The Grand Suite is not free, it's just the basis for comparison for Expedia (so it's whatever price you clicked through on plus $0). If you started with Junior Suite, it would be -$395 to go to a Grand Suite. I do agree that it is strange, though - they must have hit some strange threshold where they want to get rid of the Grand Suite but not the Junior Suite.

28 minutes ago, SnickerTail said:

The only weird thing about this is that Junior Suites are more expensive than the Grand Suite. The Grand Suite is not free, it's just the basis for comparison for Expedia (so it's whatever price you clicked through on plus $0). If you started with Junior Suite, it would be -$395 to go to a Grand Suite. I do agree that it is strange, though - they must have hit some strange threshold where they want to get rid of the Grand Suite but not the Junior Suite.

If they have no buyers for the GS, moving somebody from a JS, who has already paid, presumably full fare to a GS for free and then reselling the JS makes a lot of sense.

One of my favorite stories as a t/a was when I caught a fare for a customer just like this. They had an aft balcony at a decent price and "JS" was more than I knew they would pay. But I did look at all of the categories and the "GS" was less than they paid. They were cruising in Europe but I know them so I switched it, saved them around $700 and sent them an e-mail explaining what I had done. The reduced price only lasted about a day and a half but it wasn't a glitch, just higher availability in that category. Thankfully they were happy and still tell the story too. I stopped taking new customers on as I prepare my exit strategy but will miss these gems!

FWIW, for our Dec 2020 New Year's Cruise, we were able to book a JS cheaper than a balcony, by about $500. We have since moved up to a GS, but I find the effects of the algorithms interesting. For our last ROTS, southbound Alaska, we initially had a GS, then checking one day I noticed the Owners Suite was the same or a tad bit less than the GS we had reserved. We changed to the OS.

Edited by Baked Alaska
Additional info

3 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

FWIW, for our Dec 2020 New Year's Cruise, we were able to book a JS cheaper than a balcony, by about $500. We have since moved up to a GS, but I find the effects of the algorithms interesting. For our last ROTS, southbound Alaska, we initially had a GS, then checking one day I noticed the Owners Suite was the same or a tad bit less than the GS we had reserved. We changed to the OS.

Really shows the effect of supply and demand.

3 hours ago, shaydav19 said:

This is what the RCCL site shows???

Junior Suite

An incredible intimate suite with a great view.

Beds
  • Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King bed
  • One double sofa bed in staterooms with up to 4 and 5 guests
  • One Pullman bed in staterooms with up to 5 guests
Size
  • Stateroom: 287 sq. ft.
  • Balcony: 80 sq. ft.
OccupancyUp to 5 guests
View Details
From$2,005*
USD /PERSON
from $191 /month info