Caronavirus

Anyone else getting no response to emails in regards to upcoming cruises? 
Ive paid premium price for eight people to cruise around the South Pacific well before Caronavirus was announced. The ports we are stopping at have refused entry to Cruise ships over the past few weeks. I’ve sent emails. No response. I have rang and been told the original itinerary still stands. Yesterday after being told all is going ahead on the phone I received an email from RC stating that we now needed to purchase travel insurance to disembark in New Caledonian ports. So I spend a few hundred dollars extra on that to be told today by my travel agent that those ports are closed. Apparently I won’t be compensated. It’s an absolute joke.

so I can’t be refunded for the cruise that will now be changing it’s itinerary ( to where now who knows. No one can tell me) and I have now paid extra for something for no reason and not only will I not be reimbursed but the staff have been extremely unhelpful and basically don’t comment or even try to resolve any issues. We’ve cruised with P&O, Carnival, Norwegian and Carnival and have never had a problem. 
I’m already regretting booking an RC cruise that I was told was superiors to the other companies. What a joke! 

9 hours ago, Cruiser nic said:

We’ve cruised with P&O, Carnival, Norwegian and Carnival and have never had a problem. 
I’m already regretting booking an RC cruise that I was told was superiors to the other companies. What a joke! 

Was there a virus outbreak situation when you sailed on those other cruise lines?  If not, it would be unfair to compare your previous cruising experiences with what is going on right now.  The situation is very fluid and the travel industry is being impacted negatively in a big way.  We’ve known Royal to take care of its customers' welfare but it might be overwhelmed by the challenges  of this virus at the moment. A little understanding goes a long way.

@Cruiser nic~

I can't even imagine your frustration, it appears palatable. The planner/control aspect of my personality would feel quite similar to what you are feeling now. But probably my age  (OLD) and life experience due to being (OLD) pushes me to a different place. This you can not control, hard & frustrating try to let that part go. Know in your heart RCCL takes the precautions they must for everyone's health and safety, no one the ports included want to cancel, the monies they stand to loose are astronomical, but the cost of a life, priceless. No one wants this illness to spread any more then it has and these precautions/changes are in place for the ultimate enjoyment of your sailing Holiday, sailing with 8 nearest and dearest I promise you RCCL will do their best to make sure your Holiday is the best it can be. I believe they don't answer your questions because of the fluidity of the situation,  they don't know anything from day to day I'm sure. RCCL is in the vacation business and the last thing as a company they want is an unhappy or ill customer. The first step of making lemonade out of lemons is the hardest, but once over that initial hump I know you can have the absolute best time! Positive thoughts to you and yours for a great sailing :)

Denise (just a customer I don't work for or represent RCCL)

8 hours ago, Cruiser nic said:

Realize the frustration, I would be too. But...the cruise industry is in uncharted waters on this issue. The dynamics are changing every six hours...I can't even imagine how a company who's business is travel and tourism would manage through this. The folks in the call centres...ouch.

With a basic search I can find MASSIVE historic failures with each of those other cruise lines you listed. And they are all currently dealing with the exact same issues right now.

Have a look at the over and above customer service RCL did with the Anthem of The Seas out of New Jersey a few weeks back when there were potential COVID-19 cases on a returning cruise. RCL did a bunch of things they DIDN'T have to do...and in almost 20 years of cruising I have never seen. Take solace in that case...and expect you will be taken care of in due course. 

10 hours ago, Cruiser nic said:

Ive paid premium price for eight people to cruise around the South Pacific well before Caronavirus was announced. The ports we are stopping at have refused entry to Cruise ships over the past few weeks. I’ve sent emails. No response. I have rang and been told the original itinerary still stands. Yesterday after being told all is going ahead on the phone I received an email from RC stating that we now needed to purchase travel insurance to disembark in New Caledonian ports. So I spend a few hundred dollars extra on that to be told today by my travel agent that those ports are closed. Apparently I won’t be compensated. It’s an absolute joke.

so I can’t be refunded for the cruise that will now be changing it’s itinerary ( to where now who knows. No one can tell me) and I have now paid extra for something for no reason and not only will I not be reimbursed but the staff have been extremely unhelpful and basically don’t comment or even try to resolve any issues. We’ve cruised with P&O, Carnival, Norwegian and Carnival and have never had a problem. 

You haven't said when the cruise is scheduled. I'm booked for a cruise in April, when the virus is predicted to peak, and I'm waiting to see what RCCL will do. 

I suggest you decide what YOU want to do (i.e., cancel or proceed with plans), and if you want to cancel, call your travel agent. Chances are that RCCL will allow cancellations with a doctor's note (which should be easy to get). At this point, I'm planning to go ahead on my cruise, although my daughter is trying to talk me out of it.

@Cruiser nic  Hello and welcome to the RCB forums!  I am sorry for the trouble you are having.  What are you looking to do?  Do you want to cancel and get your money back?  When is your cruise?  What did RCL say when you called?  Did you ask them what would happen if your airline cancels your flight?  Please let us know.  I am cruising this Sunday and am quite nervous.  Any and all information would be helpful.  Thanks...

Like many others I agree this situation is well beyond the control of RCCL. We sail at the end of May to Alaska. It's probably an apple to orange comparison but we do sail out of Seattle and not Hong Kong. Again like others I believe common sense as travelers will go a long way. Hand washing , keeping one's hands away from the face and overall situation awareness will be my norm. Currently I also believe the media has whipped this up to a frenzy. As an EMT here in Texas we have had no advance directives as to the coronavirus. It's currently understood that our protocols are sufficient to deal with what I personally would be slow to call an outbreak again I place this on the media. At the end of the day it is the choice of the individual whether or not to cruise due to health concerns. Again personally I would rather lose my entire trip financially rather than place my family or self in harms way. I don't live life without  regard to safety but I do realize that each and every day is a gift. In regard to the money spent on a cruise like my dad used to say "if you cannot afford to lose it don't invest it". Safe travels to all.

As I've said, I'm planning to cruise in April, although we currently have a state of emergency here in Florida due to two confirmed cases. I plan to bring face masks and gloves and Lysol wipes, and be smart and otherwise relax and have a good time. I might eat all my meals in the MDR instead of going to the buffet, which could be riskier.

12 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

As I've said, I'm planning to cruise in April, although we currently have a state of emergency here in Florida due to two confirmed cases. I plan to bring face masks and gloves and Lysol wipes, and be smart and otherwise relax and have a good time. I might eat all my meals in the MDR instead of going to the buffet, which could be riskier.

The concern is not getting the virus but how travel plans will be changed. Like will you be allowed off at ports. Will your ship be quarantined. Will you be denied boarding because of an evaluated temp.Will you fly down only to have the cruise be cancelled ruining your only vacation for the year. 

14 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

Face masks will do nothing to prevent you catching the virus - they would only help the infected from spreading the virus, who will hopefully be in quarantine. Face mask companies, will do nothing to dispel the myth, and explain how and when different type of masks are effective for what {Dust, chemical and fluid}

20 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

Better stock up on those now....I have heard in many places its going to be months before some of those things are back in stock as they have already been sold out in panic buying,

14 hours ago, Cruiser nic said:

New Caledonia visa requirements include medical insurance.  Most travelers would have had that in hand already for the entire trip, making an extra purchase unnecessary.  I am sorry you have had a nice vacation discombobulated. But travel insurance is more or less a good idea regardless of where you go.  I like Matt's recent video that puts it all in perspective.  Nothing can make your disappointment go away entirely, but I find that if I plan appropriately and "go with the flow" I can find something positive in the experience.  I have fretted about hurricanes (almost a direct hit by Dorian), but my wife and I try not to hold the carrier responsible for uncontrollable events.  Again, I am sorry you appear to be missing your desired port calls.

19 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

The concern is not getting the virus but how travel plans will be changed. Like will you be allowed off at ports. Will your ship be quarantined. Will you be denied boarding because of an evaluated temp.Will you fly down only to have the cruise be cancelled ruining your only vacation for the year. 

13 minutes ago, DaiC01 said:

Face masks will do nothing to prevent you catching the virus - they would only help the infected from spreading the virus, who will hopefully be in quarantine. Face mask companies, will do nothing to dispel the myth, and explain how and when different type of masks are effective for what {Dust, chemical and fluid}

13 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Better stock up on those now....I have heard in many places its going to be months before some of those things are back in stock as they have already been sold out in panic buying,

Well, I'm sure other people have other concerns, but for me I wouldn't mind being stuck on a cruise ship for a longer time than I paid for (I paid for only a 4-night cruise), and I don't have to fly to the departure point because I live only an hour's drive away. If I'm denied boarding, I'll just go out for breakfast and then return home. And face masks serve the purpose of preventing me from touching my face (the average person touches their face 23 times/hour without realizing it). And I already have a box of face masks and a box of gloves left over from my cancer treatment 2 years ago. So the decision is easier for me.

I just return from the south pacific cruise... that only stop in Noumea and 30 minutes after all aboard, they announced the 5 remaining ports were cancelled. My trip of a lifetime, celebrating my 40th snorkeling in paradise disappeared. we then sailed to new zealand, no fishies, cold water and mostly cloudy in rought seas and got a compensation of 10%. since i used FCC to pay a part of this cruise (grandeur cancelled late august), the OBC received was lower. No fault of Royal but such a disapointing trip. I totally understand you. At least, you have the chance to cancel prior to departure.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:21 PM, PG Cruiser said:

Was there a virus outbreak situation when you sailed on those other cruise lines?  If not, it would be unfair to compare your previous cruising experiences with what is going on right now.  The situation is very fluid and the travel industry is being impacted negatively in a big way.  We’ve known Royal to take care of its customers' welfare but it might be overwhelmed by the challenges  of this virus at the moment. A little understanding goes a long way.

Yes a little understanding. You’re not wrong. I forked our a small fortune for this cruise and they’re the ones acting like they can’t stand to lose the money. They’re not being flexible at all. There are plenty of tour and cruise companies giving full refunds. 

On 3/6/2020 at 1:21 AM, tiny blonde said:

You haven't said when the cruise is scheduled. I'm booked for a cruise in April, when the virus is predicted to peak, and I'm waiting to see what RCCL will do. 

I suggest you decide what YOU want to do (i.e., cancel or proceed with plans), and if you want to cancel, call your travel agent. Chances are that RCCL will allow cancellations with a doctor's note (which should be easy to get). At this point, I'm planning to go ahead on my cruise, although my daughter is trying to talk me out of it.

The cruise is the end of March. If we cancel we do not get a refund. That was made very clear by the travel agent who did receive a response from RC a few days ago. 

5 minutes ago, Cruiser nic said:

Yes a little understanding. You’re not wrong. I forked our a small fortune for this cruise and they’re the ones acting like they can’t stand to lose the money. They’re not being flexible at all. There are plenty of tour and cruise companies giving full refunds. 

And yes actually. Sailed on Princess last month and they handled the situation beautifully. 

1 hour ago, suna said:

I just return from the south pacific cruise... that only stop in Noumea and 30 minutes after all aboard, they announced the 5 remaining ports were cancelled. My trip of a lifetime, celebrating my 40th snorkeling in paradise disappeared. we then sailed to new zealand, no fishies, cold water and mostly cloudy in rought seas and got a compensation of 10%. since i used FCC to pay a part of this cruise (grandeur cancelled late august), the OBC received was lower. No fault of Royal but such a disapointing trip. I totally understand you. At least, you have the chance to cancel prior to departure.

I’m sorry. That sounds really crappy. If we cancel we are not refunded a cent. I was told by my travel agent two day’s ago. 

On 3/6/2020 at 6:15 AM, tiny blonde said:

Well, I'm sure other people have other concerns, but for me I wouldn't mind being stuck on a cruise ship for a longer time than I paid for (I paid for only a 4-night cruise), and I don't have to fly to the departure point because I live only an hour's drive away. If I'm denied boarding, I'll just go out for breakfast and then return home. And face masks serve the purpose of preventing me from touching my face (the average person touches their face 23 times/hour without realizing it). And I already have a box of face masks and a box of gloves left over from my cancer treatment 2 years ago. So the decision is easier for me.

I don’t think being stuck on a cruise would be great. You are quarantined to your room. 
I have to decide whether to risk that or cancel with no refund. 

2 minutes ago, Cruiser nic said:

The cruise is the end of March. If we cancel we do not get a refund. That was made very clear by the travel agent who did receive a response from RC a few days ago. 

It’s true that you will not get a cash refund but you will get Future Cruise Credits for the amount of your cruise fare (taxes and ports fees will be refunded separately) to use towards another cruise, another time.

On 3/6/2020 at 5:59 AM, ChessE4 said:

Great video on corona virus!

Yes. I’ve heard back from the retraced agent. They still can’t tell us what ports we’ll be stopping at. But I’d we cancel we will not be refunded. 
mother massive tour companies are offering full refunds but RC expects their customers to wear the costs. 

On 3/6/2020 at 3:24 AM, SPS said:

Have you cruised with those other companies during a potential global pandemic?

Yep. Last month for my sons 18th. Princess cruises. They were brilliant. It was just the three of us. My nubby ave I took him as his gift. 
This big cruise with RC is my parents last hoorah as they are both very sick. We’ve saved like crazy for it. Have been told by the travel agent since my post that we will not be refunded if we cancel. 

6 minutes ago, Cruiser nic said:

Yep. Last month for my sons 18th. Princess cruises. They were brilliant. It was just the three of us. My nubby ave I took him as his gift. 
This big cruise with RC is my parents last hoorah as they are both very sick. We’ve saved like crazy for it. Have been told by the travel agent since my post that we will not be refunded if we cancel. 

They will offer future cruise credits though, I just had to do so for my elderly mom and aunt as this was the same situation and they cannot get doctors clearance.  Since I purchased the fares the rep advised the credit would be in my name. 

On 3/6/2020 at 1:28 AM, YOLO said:

@Cruiser nic  Hello and welcome to the RCB forums!  I am sorry for the trouble you are having.  What are you looking to do?  Do you want to cancel and get your money back?  When is your cruise?  What did RCL say when you called?  Did you ask them what would happen if your airline cancels your flight?  Please let us know.  I am cruising this Sunday and am quite nervous.  Any and all information would be helpful.  Thanks...

They said if we don’t go we don’t get our money back. we can go and risk getting the virus and don’t get to go to the Scheduled ports from the itinerary booked. No compensation offered what so ever! The ports of Lifou, isle of pines and Mare are all closed. 

2 hours ago, Cruiser nic said:

They said if we don’t go we don’t get our money back. we can go and risk getting the virus and don’t get to go to the Scheduled ports from the itinerary booked. No compensation offered what so ever! The ports of Lifou, isle of pines and Mare are all closed. 

I think you need to call back again.  This is most likely not correct.  Royal is offering Future Cruise Credits for anyone who wants to postpone their cruise.

I thought about starting a new thread for my question but I guess this one will work since it is related to COVD-19.

My wife and I are currently scheduled to leave March 26 on a 4 night sailing to Cozumel on Brilliance of the Seas. With all of the recent issues in the news about cruising we were wondering how often Royal is currently testing their crew members for the virus since most of them are not US residents. Does anyone know? 

Also for those of you that have sailed in the past couple of weeks or are currently sailing what have you seen that helped set your mind at ease about going through with your cruise? I hope that @CHRIS WONG will chime in to let us know what he is seeing on Oasis. 

I thought I would just share something that is brewing in  our universe.

Dan works for the Navy at a big government site. They are being very proactive with possible isolation scenarios, alternate working environments etc.; very positive and proactive.

One of the things that they are currently strongly enforcing is the requirement that anyone visiting ANY foreign country must now get prior permission to do so.  This has always been a kind of "rule" where cleared personnel must advise the government of proposed foreign travel, but frankly, Caribbean countries visited during cruises have never been destinations of scrutiny and it was simply a formality.  Not so, now.

So, there is a possibility that #1, they would disapprove any "request" to visit any of the countries on our cruise itineraries or #2, that once we returned, he could be subject to self quarantine for a period of time.  Obviously, #1 is a hard down show stopper.  End of story.  Done.  #2 isn't a huge deal if they permitted him to work from home (which is one of the self isolation plans already in development).  However, there could be ramifications of total self quarantine; things that we just aren't thinking of at the moment.  I have not heard of anyone being refused clearance to go on a cruise YET.  It's just a new complication that we have to consider, going forward.

So while we are 100% #stillgoing at this time, it may be taken out of our hands if the government feels that ANY travel outside of the US becomes problematic.

31 minutes ago, Dimension said:

I thought about starting a new thread for my question but I guess this one will work since it is related to COVD-19.

My wife and I are currently scheduled to leave March 26 on a 4 night sailing to Cozumel on Brilliance of the Seas. With all of the recent issues in the news about cruising we were wondering how often Royal is currently testing their crew members for the virus since most of them are not US residents. Does anyone know? 

Also for those of you that have sailed in the past couple of weeks or are currently sailing what have you seen that helped set your mind at ease about going through with your cruise? I hope that @CHRIS WONG will chime in to let us know what he is seeing on Oasis. 

Our cruise (same ship, same itinerary) was scheduled for April 9 and we cancelled, since the CDC's recommendations are very clear: no cruise ships, especially if you're over 60. We're in our 80's and there was no question that we're at risk. I had no problem cancelling and didn't lose a penny (only the cancellation fee of $100). We're getting a cash refund for part of the cost and future cruise credits (FCC's) for the rest, and are already talking to our TA to schedule an identical cruise at a later date.

I really don't mind dying, I just don't want to suffer – and being confined to a cabin for 2 weeks and having a fatal pneumonia both strike me as suffering. So, why opt for it, when there's a choice? Wouldn't you rather go later?

2 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

Our cruise (same ship, same itinerary) was scheduled for April 9 and we cancelled, since the CDC's recommendations are very clear: no cruise ships, especially if you're over 60. We're in our 80's and there was no question that we're at risk. I had no problem cancelling and didn't lose a penny (only the cancellation fee of $100). We're getting a cash refund for part of the cost and future cruise credits (FCC's) for the rest, and are already talking to our TA to schedule an identical cruise at a later date.

I really don't mind dying, I just don't want to suffer – and being confined to a cabin for 2 weeks and having a fatal pneumonia both strike me as suffering. So, why opt for it, when there's a choice? Wouldn't you rather go later?

My wife and I are in our mid 40s but my wife is missing her spleen due to an accident. We are considering cancelling but if we go that route we will most likely be out around $250 to start with and from your posting another $100 from RC for a cancellation fee. That $250 is hotel, parking, and 3rd party excursion. I thought that RC's current cancellation policy was a 100% refund but from what you stated it is minus $100 bring my total now up to around $350. That is almost half the cost of the cruise itself since we booked it early 2019.

I think you are making the right choice.  We are going on Symphony in 3 days, but we are in our 40's with kids in our teens and early 20's.  If we were older or if we were bringing our parents we wouldn't take the chance.  I think things are way overblown but older people are at much more risk.  Enjoy your future cruise when this dies down!

15 minutes ago, Dimension said:

My wife and I are in our mid 40s but my wife is missing her spleen due to an accident. We are considering cancelling but if we go that route we will most likely be out around $250 to start with and from your posting another $100 from RC for a cancellation fee. That $250 is hotel, parking, and 3rd party excursion. I thought that RC's current cancellation policy was a 100% refund but from what you stated it is minus $100 bring my total now up to around $350. That is almost half the cost of the cruise itself since we booked it early 2019.

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am also confused by the $100 loss.  It was also my understanding that the FCC/refund was 100% of the costs.  Is there maybe an Agency charge involved ?

The cancellation fee might have been charged by the travel agency (CruisesOnly.com). In my experience, hotels will allow cancellation >48 hours.

I am impressed that you got a cruise for 2 for only around $700!  It cost me closer to $1200. That speaks well for booking as far in advance as possible.

18 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

The cancellation fee might have been charged by the travel agency (CruisesOnly.com). In my experience, hotels will allow cancellation >48 hours.

I am impressed that you got a cruise for 2 for only around $700!  It cost me closer to $1200. That speaks well for booking as far in advance as possible.

I think the cancellation fee is absolutely from cruises only.. Royal is not charging anyone a $100 cancellation fee..