100 shares and $100.00

I know some people will know this, but if you have 100 shares of Royal Caribbean stock you get onboard credit for free.  For instance, having 100 shares of stock, on my upcoming 7 day cruise I'll get $100.00 in onboard credit.

Just thought I'd throw that tidbit out there since the stock price is way down.

Plus you'll get an annual dividend of about $300.00 to buy more stock or use on something else.

It covers royal Caribbean,  celebrity and azamara. Not sure about the other, lesser known subsidiaries. 

Google royal Caribbean shareholder benefit.  The web page will give you 3 different options for submitting the request. I recommend email method. 

Good luck! 

100 shares would cost around 8k at the current price.  With the share price plummeting by the day and why would it stop now.. you could lose a lot more than the hundred dollar credit very fast.  Better to wait till it bottoms out.  I could see it halving again easily as it's already dropped 40 a share in the last month.  I wouldn't count on any dividends for a fair while either. 

Nice point out for the future thou.  

While it is true that the current rate of shares would be about 8k for a hundred.  It's possible that it will drop some more, but I doubt it will go half of 80 since their valuation is upwards of 115 to 120 a share.  I'm no expert when it comes to stocks by any means.

As for dividends they are issuing a dividend tomorrow.  It will be $0.78 per share.  I think last years was $0.79 per share, and if it's only dropped a penny per share due to this scare, I'm ok with that hehe.

The dividend will be based on last years profit which was not affected.   Next years will almost certainly be a big loss so maybe no dividend at all.  Who knows the future but with shares the traders always warn to never try to catch a falling knife and that knife is still falling. 

9 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The RCCL stock OBC is not always applicable and often difficult to apply. Be very careful purchasing stock for the purpose of getting OBC. 

This. Do your homework, listen to earning calls, etc, etc. Buy because you feel it's a good investment and fits into your portfolio.

$8,000 in a modest 2% savings or CD should net you $160 in a year. That seems like a better way to earn $100 from $8,000.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Clarify

On 3/5/2020 at 6:21 PM, WackyCactus said:

While it is true that the current rate of shares would be about 8k for a hundred.  It's possible that it will drop some more, but I doubt it will go half of 80 since their valuation is upwards of 115 to 120 a share.  I'm no expert when it comes to stocks by any means.

As for dividends they are issuing a dividend tomorrow.  It will be $0.78 per share.  I think last years was $0.79 per share, and if it's only dropped a penny per share due to this scare, I'm ok with that hehe.

$63 now.  A couple of days later.  I think my $40 prediction is looking optimistic.  The trading site forums are predicting more like $20.  If anyone owns these shares for cruise credit reasons etc.  I would seriously look at selling and buying back in the future.  Forget about dividends as someone else said most likely it will need to be capital raising.  

@Meridian OR another way to be optimistic with your RCCL investment;

How about this? If the stock price goes lower just purchase more shares at the lower price and greatly lower your unit cost. When the stock recovers and it will, just sell those higher shares if you care to, the whole time collecting the dividend while maintaining your ability to use the little OBC too. 

*Just remember you only lose money if you panic and sell, because any losses in your position are unrealized.....until you sell. 

32 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@Meridian OR another way to be optimistic with your RCCL investment;

How about this? If the stock price goes lower just purchase more shares at the lower price and greatly lower your unit cost. When the stock recovers and it will, just sell those higher shares if you care to, the whole time collecting the dividend while maintaining your ability to use the little OBC too. 

*Just remember you only lose money if you panic and sell, because any losses in your position are unrealized.....until you sell. 

That is called averaging down.  Good luck.   It can work as long as you have enough money and guts to keep pouring in more until the bottom.  Each time the amount to get the average up gets bigger and bigger as it drops.. there are plenty of articles on people can find out there on how to do it.   You are right thou if you have a long term view it can recover so no harm...  but then having money locked into something for a long time hoping it will recover to break even with likely no dividends and possible dilution doesn't sound like a great investment.  I really feel for RCI.  They seem like a great company and I'm happy to support them with lots of business in the future.  But not sure investing in them right now is a great idea especially not for a cruise credit. 

I like the RCCL business model, and do invest for long term, I'm not a trader. The balance sheet is strong, and yes I believe in the investment, don't do it for the measly OBC. I appreciate your input though, but JP Morgan analyst today Joseph Greff stated he believes RCCL was best positioned to weather this storm, thus best positioned to out perform coming out on the other side. I'm going with my gut here as even he says they don't see liquidity being a major risk. He rates the stock as overweight with a price target of $155.00 , this on Market watch today. 

Simply put I believe in the product and can't sail enough! Have a great one!

51 minutes ago, Neesa said:

I like the RCCL business model, and do invest for long term, I'm not a trader. The balance sheet is strong, and yes I believe in the investment, don't do it for the measly OBC. I appreciate your input though, but JP Morgan analyst today Joseph Greff stated he believes RCCL was best positioned to weather this storm, thus best positioned to out perform coming out on the other side. I'm going with my gut here as even he says they don't see liquidity being a major risk. He rates the stock as overweight with a price target of $155.00 , this on Market watch today. 

Simply put I believe in the product and can't sail enough! Have a great one!

+1. . . heck +100!

12 hours ago, Neesa said:

I like the RCCL business model, and do invest for long term, I'm not a trader. The balance sheet is strong, and yes I believe in the investment, don't do it for the measly OBC.

+1. Couldn't agree more, buy because you believe in the company. Buy as many shares as you can afford, don't think 100 shares is the minimum... 1 is the minimum!

30 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Personally I’m planning some tax loss harvesting with my RCL. I got in very near the peak. Oops!  

You can sell it in a cash account to harvest the tax loss and buy it back in a retirement account to capitalize on the lower share price...talk to your tax advisor about this strategy.

1 hour ago, JimnKathy said:

You can sell it in a cash account to harvest the tax loss and buy it back in a retirement account to capitalize on the lower share price...talk to your tax advisor about this strategy.

Even if you plan to put it into an IRA for example, I THINK you need to wait 30 or 31 days to avoid the "wash sale," otherwise you may not see any tax loss harvesting benefits. "Talk to your tax advisor" is a great idea.

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

Even if you plan to put it into an IRA for example, I THINK you need to wait 30 or 31 days to avoid the "wash sale," otherwise you may not see any tax loss harvesting benefits. "Talk to your tax advisor" is a great idea.

You are correct...thank you. The IRS ruled back in 2008 that the wash rules apply in a tax-deferred account such as an IRA, too.

2 hours ago, haf said:

Closing today at 48.27$, it is more than likely that it will hit 30$ by the end of the week. Great bargain for such a strong company.

Yes,   my previous prediction of $20 or maybe even lower stands.   RCI hasn't really had anything specific towards them as yet IE a princess style death ship or big Caribbean cancellations,  Europe cancellations haven't happened yet as its a bit early - so there is likely a few more hits to come much more specific to RCI.   Really sad for the company - but great buying once it bottoms out,  and they will of course come back over time so with some dividends and cruise credits could be a nice little investment.   Just not today.  

5 hours ago, haf said:

Closing today at 48.27$, it is more than likely that it will hit 30$ by the end of the week. Great bargain for such a strong company.

Not sure how strong of a company it will be on the other side of this. I think cruising is going to take a real black eye here. Cruise fans like the people who post on this website will still cruise, but first time cruisers might be hesitant for a while, and RCL has a lot of capacity to fill. 

I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard the phrase “floating Petri dish” in the past couple of weeks. Whether that’s deserved or not, it’s the impression a lot of people have. 

1 hour ago, danv3 said:

Not sure how strong of a company it will be on the other side of this. I think cruising is going to take a real black eye here. Cruise fans like the people who post on this website will still cruise, but first time cruisers might be hesitant for a while, and RCL has a lot of capacity to fill. 

I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard the phrase “floating Petri dish” in the past couple of weeks. Whether that’s deserved or not, it’s the impression a lot of people have. 

I still have in mind the Costa concordia disaster and how it changed the cruise industry. Now, that being said, I don't think any of the big cruise companies will come unscathed from this bad turn of events. Clear skies always come after some rain and for those that have some disposable income, I am sure this could be an opportunity for some wise investments.