Decisions.... Decisions.. Western Med - Allure

I know this is topics has been discussed a lot lately for anyone who has a cruise in the Med with three of the five ports being in Italy.  Final payment is coming up on 23 March, and I just read RCL looks like they are extending final payment on some itineraries in this region by a month.  

My real decision is do I make the final payment and roll the dice knowing if Italy is still on the "hot list", RCL may cancel the Italy ports and possibly substitute them for something else (not sure Allure can dock in many places due to the size)?   I really want to go, but I don't want to find out at the last minute that RCL cancels the Italy ports, adds additional sea days, and refunds the excursion costs.    

I have been looking forward to this trip and understands RCL has no control over what is happening right now.   So, questions:

1.  Considering the cruise isn't until late June what are the chances of RCL cancelling the cruise?

2.  Does anyone know if any itineraries have been modified for current cruises that are occurring over in the Med?

If this was a Eastern/Western Caribbean cruise, I would have no worries as sea days would be welcomed.  However, it is the Med and seeing the sights is why I chose this cruise.  

I don’t envy you making this decision. Because of where it is, I’d be a little concerned. Personally I’d wait right up until final payment and then make the decision. Just read somewhere else that someone’s Rhapsody (or maybe Vision) our of Venice has had their final payment date extended. 

We’re booked on Odyssey for Italy/Greece October 2021 so very thankful I’m very far out for that one. 

12 minutes ago, stringfellow said:

I know this is topics has been discussed a lot lately for anyone who has a cruise in the Med with three of the five ports being in Italy.  Final payment is coming up on 23 March, and I just read RCL looks like they are extending final payment on some itineraries in this region by a month.  

My real decision is do I make the final payment and roll the dice knowing if Italy is still on the "hot list", RCL may cancel the Italy ports and possibly substitute them for something else (not sure Allure can dock in many places due to the size)?   I really want to go, but I don't want to find out at the last minute that RCL cancels the Italy ports, adds additional sea days, and refunds the excursion costs.    

I have been looking forward to this trip and understands RCL has no control over what is happening right now.   So, questions:

1.  Considering the cruise isn't until late June what are the chances of RCL cancelling the cruise?

2.  Does anyone know if any itineraries have been modified for current cruises that are occurring over in the Med?

If this was a Eastern/Western Caribbean cruise, I would have no worries as sea days would be welcomed.  However, it is the Med and seeing the sights is why I chose this cruise.  

Italy have just announced they are to play all sports behind closed doors, close all schools, colleges etc until mid March so hopefully that will help the situation ? Oh and they’ve banned kissing ??‍♂️
id pay final payment and hope for the best..

1 hour ago, Jason12 said:

Italy have just announced they are to play all sports behind closed doors, close all schools, colleges etc until mid March so hopefully that will help the situation ? Oh and they’ve banned kissing ??‍♂️
id pay final payment and hope for the best..

The virus is spreading in spite of these restrictions because people are not being honest about their exposure and some people may not even be aware that they have been infected.  That’s seems to have been the case in Seattle.

My nephew had his study abroad in Italy (Florence) just cut short & told to come home -- he has to be home by Friday.  He's really bummed about it, he was having a marvelous time, was traveling all over (part of most of the classes involved field trips - he actually got to go to Fashion Week in Milan one day), and of course, he was traveling all over Europe on the weekends when he had no classes.  My sister is being affected as well -- she & her other son were going to visit him in a couple of weeks, and of course, that's not happening now, and she doesn't know if she'll just lose the money (or points) that she paid out for the airline tickets.  I'm really glad my next cruise isn't til summer -- plenty of time for this to go away (I hope!)

I'm in the same boat (and on the same boat) as you.  Have you been able to confirm if the final payment, originally due March 23rd, has been extended?  I've already paid a ton of money for flights for five people and right now it looks like American Airlines is not waving cancellation or change fees for existing reservations, only new reservations.  I'm waiting to see if that changes soon.  I really don't know what to do right now.  I LOVE planning trips, almost as much as going on them, but I can't plan anything right now.

@JenBee - According to RCL this morning payment is still due on 23 March.  This may change as I am sure the customer service reps are following what they have been told at this moment.  I am considering cancelling (really don't want to) and doing a different cruise however I would be losing out on all the promotions/savings.  I priced out other Caribbean cruises, and right now they have a different promotion running and of course it is more expensive than it probably should be.  It would be nice if RCL would offer additional discounts if we cancelled, but still wanted to go on a different cruise during the same period.  

This virus is really being a pain in the @#$.  

In regards to AA refunds, you will need to escalate to customer service and explain the situation.  If anything ask them to extend a credit to be used in the next 12 months.  This way you are not losing out on the airfare costs, and AA still wins by you flying with them.

5 hours ago, stringfellow said:

Do you have insurance?  My family has booked Allure in July, so we are in the same position as you.  First, it is too far in advance to be predicting how this disease will progress into the summer months.  Clinically, this virus is similar to the SARS outbreak of 2002-2003 which started in Nov 2002 and was declared contained in early June 2003.  This virus is similar, but then again, no guarantees.  Could be a non-event by June/July.  Our plans are to make final payment and see what happens.  In addition, we also purchased an insurance policy where we can claim itinerary changes as a benefit, so if ports are denied, we can get some compensation.  Look at your policy for specific details.  

You must also realize that covid-19 is in Spain, although not to the current extent that it is in Italy.  Are you comfortable flying into Barcelona given the possibility that you risk exposure before you embark?  Only you can answer that.  Hoping for the best for you and your family.

I'm sailing on an extremely similar cruise beginning June first so we have similar concerns. The good news is the number of new cases in China seems to be decreasing. With news like this medical professionals are hoping it is similar to the flu and its season will soon be over. I would stay aware of any new developments in Italy but my guess is things should be much better by the time of your cruise.