Oasis Denied and MEI Awesomeness

I know catchy title but the worst happened this week. I have a cruise for this Sunday, 8 March 2020 on Oasis of the Seas. We booked this cruise a year and half ago and was really looking forward to it. I woke up Tuesday morning with the room spinning out of control and feeling very nauseous. I knew that feeling, it was the flu. Knowing I couldn’t just ride it out I had to go to the doctors and get a note indicating my status to inform RCI.  Under the rules I had to be 14 days well to sail and I was well within that window.  

So off I went to the walk-in clinic where they jabbed a cotton swab so far up my nose I thought they were hitting brain. Nurse puts it in a container and says I will be back in 10 minutes to let you know the results. PA walks in next and says what I already suspected- Influenza Type A....UGH! There goes the trip. At this point I send an email to @michelle at MEI to let her know what was going on. 

Michelle let us know our options - Go to insurance (always get insurance people) and get the money back or she would TRY and rebook us but no promises. She had me choose 3 cruises by priority and she would give them a call. This morning I woke up to a new cruise in December 2020 and all the previous items for the Oasis cruise will be refunded and the cruise money itself will transfer over to new cruise. I just have to replan the cruise for what we want to do. I love doing that already so I’ll have fun doing a new cruise planner. 

I found about MEI from this blog, as I have never had an agent before, and this is a classic case of why they are so important. I have learned so much from this site so thanks to @Matt for starting this blog forum. 

Plug for Michelle - she did an awesome job in a very short amount of time and I am so thankful for her help. If you ever thought of an agent but said no, I could do it myself, think again...I would still be on the phone with the flu trying to fix this mess. Instead I was home in bed taking Tamiflu and getting rid of this flu without having to rebook or fight the insurance for a refund!

Thanks again and maybe this thread can help someone else in the future if the worst happens to you pre-cruise week. 

Oh BTW - someone should be getting a Royal-up for Junior Suite 12636 soon since I had to cancel. And, I did have a flu shot this year so It didn’t work so well. 

@Tim B., Wow, thanks so much for posting your experience. While I am feeling so sad for you right now being ill so close, I congratulate you on doing the right thing. So many sailings I dive for cover when someone near me is clearly ill and doesn't make the choice you did, that you did this is truly appreciated I know it had to be quite difficult. 

Another MEI success story. Hearing what you stated about @michelle is an incredible positive regarding the MEI experience. I had experience with another TA and the MEI difference is a real thing, it's great to shout this from the roof tops (at least on the blog) helping anyone who is apprehensive about using a TA the information to take the plunge, the MEI plunge that is!

Have a great day and feel better quickly, your post made me smile this morning, Be Well....countdown to December.....

18 minutes ago, Tim B. said:

And, I did have a flu shot this year so It didn’t work so well. 

Glad it worked out! The flu shot (maybe you're already aware) is based on what "they" believe will be the most popular strain that season, statistics basically. You got another strain unfortunately. Kudos for doing the right thing. You wouldn't have enjoyed the trip anyway.

I personally don't get the flu shot, probably should.

Tim B. I am so proud of you and so happy that this was handled so quickly, appropriately and best of all, satisfactorily !!!  I have been using Michelle Cunningham (MEI)([email protected]) for many years and know the dedication and professionalism that she provides.  What I also knew, but have had little chance to share with everyone, is the fact that she is a GENIUS and can work miracles !!!  So, #1 I'm happy and proud that this went so well for you but #2 I am SO shocked and thrilled to see that Royal did the right thing here !!!  The bottom line is, they had absolutely no obligation to do ANYthing for you at all.  But it seems, b/c YOU did the right they, THEY turned around and did the right thing, too !!!

This is the kind of good news story that rarely gets shared.  Bad news travels far and wide but good news usually gets left behind. It's so heart-warming to know that doing the right thing (as you did) is occasionally rewarded !  Well done !!!!!

Also found out this morning that my wife had insurance on the flights from Washington Reagan National to Miami, so although we lose $200, the rest is on a credit from Expedia so we can use it to fly to Orlando in December and should have no issue using the remainder of the credit for the flights. All well that ends well in these poor circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Tim B. said:

Oh BTW - someone should be getting a Royal-up for Junior Suite 12636 soon since I had to cancel. And, I did have a flu shot this year so It didn’t work so well. 

Even though you got the flu, by getting the flu shot your symptoms should be greatly reduced. The flu shot this year while not 100% effective it is about 42%-47% effective.

I am in healthcare and I always encourage all my patients and everyone I come into contact with to get the flu shot. 

Last season 2018-2019 there were almost 1 million hospitalizations and about 80,000 deaths in the USA alone from influenza. This season so far only 15k-30k have died.

If you take care of yourself and follow your Dr's orders you should be fine, provided you do not have any underlying comorbidities.

3 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Even though you got the flu, by getting the flu shot your symptoms should be greatly reduced. The flu shot this year while not 100% effective it is about 42%-47% effective.

I am in healthcare and I always encourage all my patients and everyone I come into contact with to get the flu shot. 

Last season 2018-2019 there were almost 1 million hospitalizations and about 80,000 deaths in the USA alone from influenza. This season so far only 15k-30k have died.

If you take care of yourself and follow your Dr's orders you should be fine, provided you do not have any underlying comorbidities.

This is the 5th person I’ve heard that had the shot and came down with Type A. 

Our neighbor got the shot, got Type A and missed work for 2 weeks and the 3rd week could only work 1/2 days. 

Type A is a real stinker this year. 

On 3/4/2020 at 9:24 AM, Frogfanatic said:

Very happy that it all worked out, but I feel for you and the disappointment.  I wish you a very quick recovery and happy hunting on the Cruise Planner.  I can personally attest to the incredible guidance and service of @michelle.  She is da BOMB! 

thank you !!!

On 3/4/2020 at 7:23 AM, Tim B. said:

I know catchy title but the worst happened this week. I have a cruise for this Sunday, 8 March 2020 on Oasis of the Seas. We booked this cruise a year and half ago and was really looking forward to it. I woke up Tuesday morning with the room spinning out of control and feeling very nauseous. I knew that feeling, it was the flu. Knowing I couldn’t just ride it out I had to go to the doctors and get a note indicating my status to inform RCI.  Under the rules I had to be 14 days well to sail and I was well within that window.  

So off I went to the walk-in clinic where they jabbed a cotton swab so far up my nose I thought they were hitting brain. Nurse puts it in a container and says I will be back in 10 minutes to let you know the results. PA walks in next and says what I already suspected- Influenza Type A....UGH! There goes the trip. At this point I send an email to @michelle at MEI to let her know what was going on. 

Michelle let us know our options - Go to insurance (always get insurance people) and get the money back or she would TRY and rebook us but no promises. She had me choose 3 cruises by priority and she would give them a call. This morning I woke up to a new cruise in December 2020 and all the previous items for the Oasis cruise will be refunded and the cruise money itself will transfer over to new cruise. I just have to replan the cruise for what we want to do. I love doing that already so I’ll have fun doing a new cruise planner. 

I found about MEI from this blog, as I have never had an agent before, and this is a classic case of why they are so important. I have learned so much from this site so thanks to @Matt for starting this blog forum. 

Plug for Michelle - she did an awesome job in a very short amount of time and I am so thankful for her help. If you ever thought of an agent but said no, I could do it myself, think again...I would still be on the phone with the flu trying to fix this mess. Instead I was home in bed taking Tamiflu and getting rid of this flu without having to rebook or fight the insurance for a refund!

Thanks again and maybe this thread can help someone else in the future if the worst happens to you pre-cruise week. 

So glad you are feeling better (well hope you are) and I know its disappointing to cancel but they would have most likely denied boarding and that to me would be worse, lol.   Glad we got you all set up and thanks for the kind works

And to @matt for all the up to date information on cruises