All Day Taxi Rental in Cozumel?

Dawgrin

Hi All, 

My wife and I are going on our FIRST EVER cruise this coming summer in June on Harmony of the Seas.  One of the ports we will be visiting is Cozumel.  We are not really into sitting at the beach all day and after looking around we had several things would would like to see, including... San Gervasio, The Mayan Bee Sanctuary, Punta Sur (Caracol, the Lighthouse, and some natural beauty), and Swimming with a manatee at Chankanaab.  I know this is a lot, and I had a couple questions I was hoping all of you knowledgable folks might be able to help with. 

1. Would a whirlwind tour of things like this be doable/reasonable?  
  2. Since these things are spread all over the island should we hire a taxi Driver for the whole day?
    1. If so, do you recommend a particular company or driver?
    2. How much should this cost?

If this sounds ridiculous please let me know, I am a first timer and would love to have some folks with experience to give advice on this!

Thanks, 

-Jon

1 hour ago, Jon Cooper said:

Hi All, 

My wife and I are going on our FIRST EVER cruise this coming summer in June on Harmony of the Seas.  One of the ports we will be visiting is Cozumel.  We are not really into sitting at the beach all day and after looking around we had several things would would like to see, including... San Gervasio, The Mayan Bee Sanctuary, Punta Sur (Caracol, the Lighthouse, and some natural beauty), and Swimming with a manatee at Chankanaab.  I know this is a lot, and I had a couple questions I was hoping all of you knowledgable folks might be able to help with. 

1. Would a whirlwind tour of things like this be doable/reasonable?  
  2. Since these things are spread all over the island should we hire a taxi Driver for the whole day?
    1. If so, do you recommend a particular company or driver?
    2. How much should this cost?

If this sounds ridiculous please let me know, I a a first timer and would love to have some folks with experience to give advice on this!

Thanks, 

-Jon

It doesn’t sound ridiculous at all.  In fact, you are waaay ahead of the game by already knowing what you want to see.  This is precisely the situation for which Royal Caribbean developed the Private Destinations program.  I have never done this, but “@Matt” has.  Hopefully he can provide some information.  

51 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It doesn’t sound ridiculous at all.  In fact, you are waaay ahead of the game by already knowing what you want to see.  This is precisely the situation for which Royal Caribbean developed the Private Destinations program.  I have never done this, but “@Matt” has.  Hopefully he can provide some information.  

Thanks!  I have not heard of that program and google apparently does not know much either.  I am excited to know what this is about, but just by the name and knowing who sells it it sounds like it is gonna cost me...=p

Bobroo's Cozumel Private Destination Plan:

(You'll need American dollars, bug spray, a wristwatch, and a bathing suit.)

Rent 2 mopeds for about $50 for the day. Or a car or Jeep for about the same price (unfortunately you can not rent a dune buggy). If you arrange it ahead of time they will meet you just outside the port.

Take the C-1 around the island. A good 1st stop is San Gervasio. Many will tell you the ruins are not that impressive; in fact they are not. They would be much better with hieroglyphs. Having your own wheels, you can bail at anytime. Give your left over bug spray to someone just walking in.

Next stop Bee sanctuary. I have not gone but the apiarists I was with on my last visit called it a dud. Worth doing some research.

Continue on the C-1. There are plenty of bars on the beach that serve food. Also along the route, just pull over someplace and get in the water! There is something very fun about spontaneously going to the beach to wave hop. No towels, no beach bags, no frisbees---and no cost.. Just do it. 

Punta Sur and the Lighthouse is kinda your halfway point. This area is where you need the wristwatch. This area has no cellular service and most of the bars don't have electricity. Relying on your phone for it's maps program or to use it as a watch might not work out. If you have to postpone a visit to this stop till the next visit to Coz, it's because of all the right reasons!!!

There are bars along the final leg for "just one more margarita", but no where near the view as the east coast so you'll kinda be slum'in it.

There is a gas station just before you get to the port to fill up and then finally return your vehicle(s).

Save your manatee experience as part of a pre/post cruise fun thing to do when you are in Florida. Wildlife experiences are always better when the animals are not captive.

You can easily do the above for $200 a person. I'm guessing a taxi will want $100 an hour but you might talk him down to $80 an hour (?). I'm guessing Royal's Private Destination will cost you $1,000- $1,200 a person. 

23 hours ago, bobroo said:

Bobroo's Cozumel Private Destination Plan:

(You'll need American dollars, bug spray, a wristwatch, and a bathing suit.)

Rent 2 mopeds for about $50 for the day. Or a car or Jeep for about the same price (unfortunately you can not rent a dune buggy). If you arrange it ahead of time they will meet you just outside the port.

Take the C-1 around the island. A good 1st stop is San Gervasio. Many will tell you the ruins are not that impressive; in fact they are not. They would be much better with hieroglyphs. Having your own wheels, you can bail at anytime. Give your left over bug spray to someone just walking in.

Next stop Bee sanctuary. I have not gone but the apiarists I was with on my last visit called it a dud. Worth doing some research.

Continue on the C-1. There are plenty of bars on the beach that serve food. Also along the route, just pull over someplace and get in the water! There is something very fun about spontaneously going to the beach to wave hop. No towels, no beach bags, no frisbees---and no cost.. Just do it. 

Punta Sur and the Lighthouse is kinda your halfway point. This area is where you need the wristwatch. This area has no cellular service and most of the bars don't have electricity. Relying on your phone for it's maps program or to use it as a watch might not work out. If you have to postpone a visit to this stop till the next visit to Coz, it's because of all the right reasons!!!

There are bars along the final leg for "just one more margarita", but no where near the view as the east coast so you'll kinda be slum'in it.

There is a gas station just before you get to the port to fill up and then finally return your vehicle(s).

Save your manatee experience as part of a pre/post cruise fun thing to do when you are in Florida. Wildlife experiences are always better when the animals are not captive.

You can easily do the above for $200 a person. I'm guessing a taxi will want $100 an hour but you might talk him down to $80 an hour (?). I'm guessing Royal's Private Destination will cost you $1,000- $1,200 a person. 

What company will rent a jeep for $50??

I'm not so sure I would feel very safe driving a Moped  or rental vehicle in Cozumel. Those local drivers are NUTS! Plus, getting lost is a possibility, wasting valuable time trying to find the places you want, insurance, etc. I vote for hiring an all day taxi, giving him your itinerary and, most important, what time you have to be back on board the ship. I totally agree with @Bee-rad above regarding the Manatee experience. 

By the way, welcome to the message boards! There's a wealth of knowledge here that folks are ready, willing and able to share. Feel free to ask away with any questions you or your wife may have. :27_sunglasses:

On 3/3/2020 at 3:57 PM, bobroo said:

Or a car or Jeep for about the same price (unfortunately you can not rent a dune buggy).

I just looked into this and you can, actually! From HTL Rentals. $55 for the day. I was toying with getting one but the savings are minimal over the tour once you add Punta Sur admission and wouldn't include a guide or lunch or free tequila! So ended up with the tour after all. 

1 hour ago, DDaley said:

I just looked into this and you can, actually! From HTL Rentals. $55 for the day. I was toying with getting one but the savings are minimal over the tour once you add Punta Sur admission and wouldn't include a guide or lunch or free tequila! So ended up with the tour after all. 

Good for you! I think you’ve had a good lesson in vacation planning. 

My last time in Coz I rented 5 vehicles from HTL for close to $300. We did essentially what I said above. <cue Banana Splits theme>

2 hours ago, Bee-rad said:

What company will rent a jeep for $50??

Ernestos Tortilla Factory (a restaurant just north of the cruise terminal) and it’s neighbor Gateway Car Rental both will rent you a Jeep for about $50 for the day. Probably manual transmissions only.

Again, unfortunately renting a dune buggy is no where to be found.