Travel Insurance

Mom2415

We are going on a 7 nights cruise (Allure of the Seas) in July.  My teenage son is bringing a friend.  We just recently found out that his grandmother has been diagnosed with cancer.  Our final payment is due next week.  I hate to ask the friend's mom too many questions, so I'm trying to think ahead to travel insurance in the event that grandma passes away.  What travel insurance would you recommend and any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks.

We are going on a 7 nights cruise (Allure of the Seas) in July. My teenage son is bringing a friend. We just recently found out that his grandmother has been diagnosed with cancer. Our final payment is due next week. I hate to ask the friend's mom too many questions, so I'm trying to think ahead to travel insurance in the event that grandma passes away. What travel insurance would you recommend and any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

You'd likely need one that has a pre-existing condition waiver, but usually these need to be purchased in advance at the time of deposit. It might be worth calling a company like Insure My Trip to see if they have a policy that will cover this situation.

The only advice I can give is to be sure that your insurance policy will cover the death of a grandmother.  I feel certain that it would, but you MUST be certain otherwise your insurance is useless.

Also, I'm not sure how it would work if only 1 of your party was affected.  Maybe everything would be fine but you need to know ahead of time.

One last thing...I would be hesitant to mention this to the insurance agent b/c they might consider it a "pre-existing condition" and then they would not want to pay in the event that you had to make a claim.

I know I'm contradicting myself here...telling you to be certain on the one hand and then saying it would be a mistake to tell the agent your particular circumstance. 

Difficult situation.

Maybe someone with more experience will have more useful information,

Travel guard has a cancel for any reason policy.

This type of policy usually only covers something that occurs before your trip, not during your trip. Usually, you have 48 hours BEFORE the trip to invoke the coverage. It won't cover cancellation or interruption once the trip has begun.

How does it work if I were to get my dr to write a letter explaining a family member was quite ill and needed my care. And completely leaving grandmas situation out of it. Btw...we have two cabins.

It really doesn't matter.... It is a policy covering all monies paid ...., ie: any reason

Travel Guard is my insurance of choice. I had to cancel five cruises due to surgery and recovery time and did not have a single problem with them. Three had gone past final payment. TG has a cancel for any reason policy and you can book even if final payment is made. If you used a travel agent I would contact them and have them find out which one will cover pre existing.

Always read the terms and conditions to be sure to fully understand exactly what (and what not) any insurance policy covers. Many travel policies only cover limited - definied - reasons for cancelling.  

Great point, Rich.  Lots of people assume what travel insurance covers them, but read the fine print and understand under which circumstances they actually kick in.