New to Celebrity: Ship similar to RCI Oasis class

raahc

Hello,

I'd like to consider Celebrity for our next cruise, but I prefer the larger Oasis class ships (I started off big, so personally I can't go down now ...lol).  If I'm used to Oasis, Harmony and Allure, would Apex and Edge be the largest and newest?

I'm very prone to motion/sea sickness and can "get by" with meds.  I don't think I can do smaller ships.

Celebrity's Edge and Apex are indeed the newest and largest ships in their fleet, but they are nowhere near as large as Oasis class. Oasis class ships are 226,000-228,000 GT and can house about 5,400 passengers at double occupancy. Edge class, on the other hand, is about 130,000 GT and only houses 2,918 double occupancy. That's right, it's almost exactly half the size.

They're not even as large as the Quantum class ships, which are about 168,000 GT and house 4,180. But they do seem to have drawn a lot of inspiration in design from Q class, particularly the Eden space that sounds a lot like Two70. And like Oasis, Edge class offers a large number of on-board specialty restaurants, as well as a broader number of entertainment options than the smaller ships.

Celebrity as a whole doesn't do modern-day mega-ships, since they are "premium mass market" and try to offer more boutique itineraries than the big mass-market lines, along with the upscale service and amenities you find on their ships. But Edge class will probably be a good fit for you.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:39 PM, raahc said:

Hello,

I'd like to consider Celebrity for our next cruise, but I prefer the larger Oasis class ships (I started off big, so personally I can't go down now ...lol).  If I'm used to Oasis, Harmony and Allure, would Apex and Edge be the largest and newest?

I'm very prone to motion/sea sickness and can "get by" with meds.  I don't think I can do smaller ships.

Hi there 

I was on the EDGE last year and really liked it mostly because it was a little smaller than like an Oasis class but has all sorts of cool and modern fun things and areas to explore AND the motion stabilizers are top notch on these new builds - it maybe that you could try one out in a Caribbean sailing where weather is generally not an issue - And the Rooftop Garden and Solarium were by far 2 of my favorites.  Always good to try something new !

On 3/3/2020 at 4:04 PM, JLMoran said:

Celebrity's Edge and Apex are indeed the newest and largest ships in their fleet, but they are nowhere near as large as Oasis class. Oasis class ships are 226,000-228,000 GT and can house about 5,400 passengers at double occupancy. Edge class, on the other hand, is about 130,000 GT and only houses 2,918 double occupancy. That's right, it's almost exactly half the size.

They're not even as large as the Quantum class ships, which are about 168,000 GT and house 4,180. But they do seem to have drawn a lot of inspiration in design from Q class, particularly the Eden space that sounds a lot like Two70. And like Oasis, Edge class offers a large number of on-board specialty restaurants, as well as a broader number of entertainment options than the smaller ships.

Celebrity as a whole doesn't do modern-day mega-ships, since they are "premium mass market" and try to offer more boutique itineraries than the big mass-market lines, along with the upscale service and amenities you find on their ships. But Edge class will probably be a good fit for you.

Thanks for the extra info.  I did note the difference in occupancy.  My concern is that I have severe motion sickness which I can manage with meds, but I'm not sure how I would fare with smaller ships than Oasis class.  I felt quite a bit of movement on Harmony, and even with Oasis, but both times were weather related even though it wasn't hurricane season.  The seas are very unpredictable!  The Edge class sounds great, if I can break away from RCI ... lol.  Thanks again!  

5 hours ago, michelle said:

Hi there 

I was on the EDGE last year and really liked it mostly because it was a little smaller than like an Oasis class but has all sorts of cool and modern fun things and areas to explore AND the motion stabilizers are top notch on these new builds - it maybe that you could try one out in a Caribbean sailing where weather is generally not an issue - And the Rooftop Garden and Solarium were by far 2 of my favorites.  Always good to try something new !

Hi Michelle!  The Edge class is sounding better and better!  I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.  We are looking at trying a different class of ship for a change rather than continuing to sail on Oasis class.  Much appreciated!

• 3 months later...