random trip insurance questions!

hello all,

I am trying to book a cruise on Harmony for next year..as well as trip insurance given all situation/circumstances.   I have never purchased trip insurance for all my past cruises so I am little (very) confused what to look for.  lol

I would like to know the Royal's travel protection plan in relation to fully refundable deposit.   I do know that we can get a deposit back if we cancel before final payment date but what if we have to cancel cruise 30 days before sail? Does Royal's insurance cover deposit as well? 

specifically, if we "cancel for any reason"  it says we get 75% back as Future Cruise Credit... but... 75% of what?  does that include deposit amount? or do we lose deposit money if past final payment date no matter what?

also, can anyone please recommend 3rd party trip insurance company that covers "cancel for any reason"?  .....do they really cover it? lol  

I am very new to trip insurance so please help me out little bit..

thanks!!

I use AIG (insuremytrip) however, I've never used them. My credit card can provide some insurance perks, but I am old school and like the individual policy. It provides medical, evacuations, lost luggage, trip delay, all that... Again, similar to my Sapphire Reserve but having a separate policy for a few hundred dollars keeps my mind at ease.

I believe they have a "cancel for any reason" that can be added for more money, but think it comes with a ton of rules making it not that great.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-providers/aig-travel/travel-guard-cruise-tour-travel/#tab_plan-summary

15 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

specifically, if we "cancel for any reason"  it says we get 75% back as Future Cruise Credit... but... 75% of what?  does that include deposit amount? or do we lose deposit money if past final payment date no matter what?

My understanding is that it is 75% of the original cruise fare. The deposit is part of the cruise fare. Look for the amount on the total charge line of the Royal invoice:

image.png.60f1574813d8eceaf5a1c08e79c56550.png

19 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

also, can anyone please recommend 3rd party trip insurance company that covers "cancel for any reason"?  .....do they really cover it? lol  

If you google travel insurance companies, several come up, however if you watch YouTube, you will be inundated with travel insurance ads...so, I will list the ones I have used to spare you that pain.

• Allianz
  • RoamRight --> I filed a small medical claim with them a couple years ago and it went well...you just have to have all your documentation for them
  • insuremytrip

They are all pretty straightforward and comparable, but make sure you read the policies so you understand what you are buying. Allianz has an app where I can reference current and past policies. I am not sure about the others.

27 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

also, can anyone please recommend 3rd party trip insurance company that covers "cancel for any reason"?

Any reason you're considering 'cancel for any reason' that wouldn't be covered by an insurance plan? If you're concerned about Coronavirus, rest assured, Royal will reimburse you if you're infected.
(Sorry about the formatting, didn't copy/paste well.)

Until further notice, ships in the Royal Caribbean International fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols:

1. Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:

a. Any guest who has travelled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, China, Macau, China, Iran, South Korea, and Italy in the past 15 days.

b. Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, China, Macau, China, Iran, South Korea, and Italy. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

c. Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.

2.  Mandatory, specialized health screenings will be performed on:

a. Any guest who has travelled from, to or through Japan, Singapore, and Thailand in the past 15 days.

b. Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, China, Macau, China, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy in the past 15 days.

c. Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.

All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

We use the trip insurance from USAA.  If you are a USAA member, check it out.  We had to file a claim last year and it was very easy.

A couple of things for CFAR insurance, many times you have to purchase trip insurance within 30 days of your deposit for it to take affect.  With my trip insurance, you need to cancel 3 days prior to the trip (not the case with RCs insurance).  It will be 75% of the trip cost that wouldn't be reimbursed (ie if airline travel can be applied to another trip that wouldn't count).

Often times I don't get the CFAR insurance because the regular coverage is pretty good for what I need.  However, we have 2 expensive trips coming up in the next year so I did purchase CFAR for Alaska and Greek Isles trips.  Our normal Caribbean trip, the only reason to cancel would be covered (ie sick) for the policy I purchase.  The cost for CFAR is pretty expensive so it is a balance.

The biggest thing is to read the 40+ pages of the policy specific to your state and ask questions specific to the policy.  If you have a situation that you are foreseeing as a possible reason for cancellation, call the company and ask about the coverage for your situation.  So many times we assume we'll be covered and we aren't, due to the legal language to the advantage of the insurance companies.

In general...

I take out trip insurance for longer, more expensive trips. 

Each company may have different benefits but the cost is generally nominal and coverage comprehensive.

For example, most times, virtually any thing beyond your control that inter-fears with you trip from the time you leave home until you return is covered. Sickness, a flat tire or mechanical break down to and from to air port, any flight delay or transfer that makes you miss connections, unplanned hotel expenses due to delays, medical bills meals and so on. 

The key is to keep good records and receipts for everything.