Allergy to ocean water

dejagatkins

Has anyone experienced an allergic reaction to the ocean water? Just came back from the Caribbean and had a fabulous time on the Oasis of the Seas!! My first cruise and it was all and way more than hoped for!! (already booked next years) But after swimming in the ocean, my eyes started swelling and I got an angry rash on my face. Spent the second half of the voyage with cold compresses on my  eyes, taking benadryl and wearing sunglasses a lot. I am seeing the doctor today, but I am guessing it's seaweed dermatitis. I was wondering if anyone else has had this type reaction?

It is almost like asking has anyone ever taken a walk in the park and got Poison Ivy. Some seaweeds can be poisoning, but most of the time no contact with them. Sorry that you had a problem but the chances of a second encounter is very small I would think.  

It is almost like asking has anyone ever taken a walk in the park and got Poison Ivy. Some seaweeds can be poisoning, but most of the time no contact with them. Sorry that you had a problem but the chances of a second encounter is very small I would think.  

Well I know about poison ivy, I just never in all the years I've been to the ocean, had an issue like this, so I had to google it. Since it was my first time in Caribbean waters, I thought I'd hear from others and  find out if this is common or well known, etc.

Very glad to hear that you hardly hear about it. The excursion Secret Sands no longer seems to be on the list of RC options so I will choose Magens beach next time.A bit or prednisone and I'm on the mend. I'm prone to eczema anyways, so my skin is sensitive to allergens. But I've been to beaches all my life and this was the first time I had an allergic reaction. But I loved my cruise and will be back next April!