Change in Itinerary and rebooking options

Our trans-pacific cruise is a long way off but thought it was kind of odd that Royal was giving options for guests to change this cruise.  The Tokyo to Seattle in May 2021 had the departing date moved from 5/8 to 5/7.  It will also change the ports in Japan, now with 2 stop instead of 1, and lose one port day in Alaska. The rest of the cruise is the same except the when we get to Seattle we will do an overnight there because of the additional day on the front end.  (Guessing they want to keep the rest of the Alaska season on track as scheduled.)

None of this is particularly concerning since the cruise is a long way off and the cruise lines can change itinerary at anytime.  What I found strange was they are giving you three options

- stay on the cruise as booked but you will actually get a credit to the stateroom.

- rebook to another sailing and get the same credit.

- full refund.

Wondering about the credit, so any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.  While we are only planning on this cruise, many folks are doing the back2back from Singapore to Tokyo beforehand.  So it doesn’t look like this change really is too problematic for many on this cruise and even those not doing b2b have plenty of time to arrange/rearrange travel.  It looks as if we are getting cruise credit to have extra day on the ship.  The credit could just be changes in the port fees.  But it seems that just changing from one port in Alaska to one in Japan would not be drastically different for fees and there is extra time at port in Seattle too compound that theory.  Also since people can change to another cruise and still get the same credit making it look less like it is all port fees.  So is Royal just giving the credit to be nice and loyal to guests?

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Maybe I am totally confused....but I thought Royal had restricted boarding to those who traveled to/through Singapore.  How are those people even getting on the ship ?

It says departure is May 2021 not 2020 so I am assuming they anticipate the virus will be gone by then,

2 hours ago, Mljstr said:

It says departure is May 2021 not 2020 so I am assuming they anticipate the virus will be gone by then,

That is all part of why I am wondering about the changes and credit.  Since it is over a year away I am surprised by the credit, they can just change things up.  The info stated changes to the port day in Yokohama but are there other changes beyond the end date too, of the Singapore to Tokyo?  We didn’t get any info on that since we are not doing that one.  All those cruises are gone from the website, so it can’t be booked.