First Cornovirus death in the U.S.

So Washington state has the first death of Cornovirus. Also there's been a outbreak at living care facility. The Kirkland fire station which transported Cornovirus patient to Overlake hospital is now in quarantine. The entire fire station is in lock down.

https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-washington-state/281-5a511b20-4a3f-4380-8d79-15d7a1456887

11 minutes ago, 12thman said:

So Washington state has the first death of Cornovirus. Also there's been a outbreak at living care facility. The Kirkland fire station which transported Cornovirus patient to Overlake hospital is now in quarantine. The entire fire station is in lock down.

https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-washington-state/281-5a511b20-4a3f-4380-8d79-15d7a1456887

Didn't I also hear that the Governor of Washington state just declared a state of emergency?

Yes, the Governor has declared a state of emergency. Probably to release state aid and open the emergency operations center. The man who died had underlining health issues. The CDC is coming to the care facility to monitor the patients and caregivers. No one knows how the man who died contracted the virus. 

Personally as someone who lives here and visits the Kirkland area I'm concerned BUT not going to overreact. Just use common sense. There's been a run on N95 mask and hand sanitizer. My local pharmacy is out of all those items. If you are getting a mask the N95 is far better than the mask you see a hospital. The fire department uses N95 now.

24 minutes ago, bytheslice said:

I heard it was a 50 yo woman with medical issues, is that information false?

News link says Male. Plus a student has it as well as a USPS worker. 

If it gets worse here how will Alaska handle ships coming from Seattle since a takes a while for symptoms to show? As far as I know there's no cases in Alaska. 

Quick comment on masks. Don’t bother buying them unless you have the resources to use them correctly. N95 masks must be fit tested to make sure they are correct for your face, otherwise they are not effective and provide minimal if no protection. Surgical masks also are not recommended for preventing yourself from getting an infection. They are useful for people who are already infected in preventing large droplets from escaping when coughing. 

The stores in washington state are out of toilet paper and bottled water. people are overreacting like crazy right now. if you are elderly or in poor health than you have to be careful like you would with any cold or flu season, everyone else just needs to chill. 

On 3/3/2020 at 7:00 AM, barbeyg said:

The majority of deaths in WA were at a nursing home, where so many already have compromised health.  ?

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-03-02/us-coronavirus-cases-now-at-89-as-2nd-death-new-cases-in-10-states-reported

With that said, keep in mind, the demographic of elderly people, make up a pretty significant population on many cruises; those that many point out are the most susceptible to the virus.