Last Minute Switch to Kennedy Space Center - Questions

WannaCruise

We've had Outlet/Disney Springs excursion booked for past 8 months.  Our Anthem cruise is in 2 weeks and we decided to switch to the Kennedy Space Center Shuttle excursion.   The reason being....Outlet/Disney Springs would be a really long day with over 2hrs of travel total and we wouldn't return around 9pm at night.  Plus our DS was really complaining saying he'll be totally bored.  So....we looked it over and switched to the Kennedy Space Center Shuttle excursion.  It's double the price, but he seems excited for it.  DD isn't as excited but if it's hands on, I think she'll enjoy.  And TBH, DH and I really have no interest....BUT....I keep hearing really good things about KSC so we decided to give it a try.

We selected the one where we tour ourselves so we could go at our own pace. Our kids are 14 and 10 years. 

We also decided on an excursion vs a going ourselves as I heard it avoids the lines since you have your tickets already.  Not sure if it's much more via excursion when you add the uber ride.

A few questions...

1. Not even sure exactly what you do there.  Is it kind of like a science center with hands on?  The description also mentions an IMAX movie
  2. What specific things would interest kids?
  3. Did we select the ok option (explore our own vs the guided tour)?  It was about $20 less per person, which makes a difference when the excursion is already over $400 CAD
  4. Is there a set time when the shuttle returns?  Or do they have a few that return earlier to the port?  It may sound silly but we love the MDR and would prefer to return 5:30pm vs 6:30pm so we could make our scheduled dinner (early dining).

Thanks...still have doubts but I do hear good things.  Another option we were looking at was The Icon...but you never hear anything about it (plus it's also 1hr from port)

We went to KSC and loved it. Having excursion tickets is better, because your admission to the KSC includes a bus tour. When on your own, you have to wait in line for that, whereas when you do the excursion, you get on those buses at the port, and the tour is done as part of the ride to the KSC.(At least that's how it was done for us)

1) Lots of hands on stuff, and neat things to see. There is a rocket garden, which has all sorts of different rockets that were used in the development of the space program. There are some things that you can climb on, get in etc.

2)There are plenty of things to see there. Your kids are at a tough age where they are "tool cool" to enjoy educational activities, but there are enough things to see, that they may do fine. I agree that they will probably like the space center more than Disney springs, which is basically an outdoor mall. 

3) You will be fine on your own. We did the guided one and we went to all the different areas, and the guide gave us some info about what we will be seeing, and then cut us loose to explore.

4) If i remember correctly, we were told that there would be shuttles back to the ship throughout the day and when the last one was, and you needed to make sure you were on one of them.

Overall, I think you will have a good time. When you go into the Saturn V building and the Shuttle building, there are movies, and preshows that you sit through that warms you up, and you get a glimpse of the program etc, and then you walk into the space with the actual spacecraft and the sheer size and how some are presented is really awe inspiring. 

Have a great time there!

1 hour ago, emsff02 said:

We went to KSC and loved it. Having excursion tickets is better, because your admission to the KSC includes a bus tour. When on your own, you have to wait in line for that, whereas when you do the excursion, you get on those buses at the port, and the tour is done as part of the ride to the KSC.(At least that's how it was done for us)

1) Lots of hands on stuff, and neat things to see. There is a rocket garden, which has all sorts of different rockets that were used in the development of the space program. There are some things that you can climb on, get in etc.

2)There are plenty of things to see there. Your kids are at a tough age where they are "tool cool" to enjoy educational activities, but there are enough things to see, that they may do fine. I agree that they will probably like the space center more than Disney springs, which is basically an outdoor mall. 

3) You will be fine on your own. We did the guided one and we went to all the different areas, and the guide gave us some info about what we will be seeing, and then cut us loose to explore.

4) If i remember correctly, we were told that there would be shuttles back to the ship throughout the day and when the last one was, and you needed to make sure you were on one of them.

Overall, I think you will have a good time. When you go into the Saturn V building and the Shuttle building, there are movies, and preshows that you sit through that warms you up, and you get a glimpse of the program etc, and then you walk into the space with the actual spacecraft and the sheer size and how some are presented is really awe inspiring. 

Have a great time there!

Thanks for the reply.  I assume the bus tour is included with either excursion (shuttle self tour and the guided tour)?  I've heard to do that first....but not sure it matters since we don't arrive at Port Canaveral until 12:30pm as oppose to first thing in the morning.  Bonus not having to wait in line for tickets.

Sounds like either tour would work then (i.e if they give you time to explore at each area on your own) but seems like we'll be good with the self tour. Hopefully enough to interest a 10 year old girl.

Lol...very true.  Hopefully our kids will learn stuff , but without realizing it as it will be fun too. 

That's what I was hoping for with the shuttles....but obviously would need to wait for one to fill before it returns.  Thanks.

It sounds like a fun afternoon.

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

I assume the bus tour is included with either excursion (shuttle self tour and the guided tour)?  I've heard to do that first

Yes, the bus tour is included whether you do the guided or not. If you have to opportunity, do that first, I've seen the line for that get long. For ours, its was done first as part of the ride over from the port. The bus tour goes all over the complex, you see the launch pads etc, and ends at the Saturn V complex. You then take another shuttle back to the main complex where you can see the space shuttle Atlantis, the rocket garden, Mars mission stuff, and more. 

Have a great time!

3 hours ago, emsff02 said:

Yes, the bus tour is included whether you do the guided or not. If you have to opportunity, do that first, I've seen the line for that get long. For ours, its was done first as part of the ride over from the port. The bus tour goes all over the complex, you see the launch pads etc, and ends at the Saturn V complex. You then take another shuttle back to the main complex where you can see the space shuttle Atlantis, the rocket garden, Mars mission stuff, and more. 

Have a great time!

Thanks.  Wonder if for the shuttle excursion, they simply drop you off and then you stand in line for the bus tour.  If so, I checked and it's just Anthem (our ship) and Norwegian Bliss and the Bliss comes 1hr after us.  So we can try and get there right away to beat the crowds.

Silly question...but I'm guessing that the bus tour is "a must see"?  I downloaded the app and it looks like there are a lot of things...and a lot are time are consuming so we'll need to pick and choose.  e.g. Bus Tour 45 min, Saturn V Rocket 45 min, Heroes & Legends 45 min, Atlantis 45 min, IMAX movie 60 min, Space Launch Experience 30 min, plus many other items.  We don't arrive at PC until 12:30pm.  Feel like I need a plan for the afternoon.  

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanks.  Wonder if for the shuttle excursion, they simply drop you off and then you stand in line for the bus tour.  If so, I checked and it's just Anthem (our ship) and Norwegian Bliss and the Bliss comes 1hr after us.  So we can try and get there right away to beat the crowds.

Silly question...but I'm guessing that the bus tour is "a must see"?  I downloaded the app and it looks like there are a lot of things...and a lot are time are consuming so we'll need to pick and choose.  e.g. Bus Tour 45 min, Saturn V Rocket 45 min, Heroes & Legends 45 min, Atlantis 45 min, IMAX movie 60 min, Space Launch Experience 30 min, plus many other items.  We don't arrive at PC until 12:30pm.  Feel like I need a plan for the afternoon.  

Yes, the bus tour is a must see. Here is where I would focus to see the "big things" 

When you get off the ship and board the bus to the space center hopefully they do the bus tour right from there, if not, get in line for the bus tour right away, this will take you to the Saturn V building, and do that. It is absolutely amazing HOW BIG that rocket is in real life. Upon finishing that, you board back onto buses that take you to the main visitor center. From there, hit the Atlantis exhibit and go through that. By then, you will have seen some really cool things, and the kids will probably be into it at that point. Following that, you can walk through the rocket garden. I would then see where your timing is, then you can check out some of the other exhibits if timing allows. Some of the other exhibits you can go through pretty quickly.

10 hours ago, emsff02 said:

Yes, the bus tour is a must see. Here is where I would focus to see the "big things" 

When you get off the ship and board the bus to the space center hopefully they do the bus tour right from there, if not, get in line for the bus tour right away, this will take you to the Saturn V building, and do that. It is absolutely amazing HOW BIG that rocket is in real life. Upon finishing that, you board back onto buses that take you to the main visitor center. From there, hit the Atlantis exhibit and go through that. By then, you will have seen some really cool things, and the kids will probably be into it at that point. Following that, you can walk through the rocket garden. I would then see where your timing is, then you can check out some of the other exhibits if timing allows. Some of the other exhibits you can go through pretty quickly.

Thank you so much!  Really appreciate your feedback with your recommendation of the priority and order of items to see.  I didn't realize how many attractions there are at KSC.  I think we will have only about 4-4.5 hrs by the time we get there and then have to leave, so definitely have to pick and choose.  I am documenting your game plan and will print it out to bring with us. 

Sorry one last question....is the bus tour 2hrs or 45 min?  I've seen both listed so it's not clear.

Thanks again.

37 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:Sorry one last question....is the bus tour 2hrs or 45 min?  I've seen both listed so it's not clear.

Thanks again.

I would say closer to the 45 minutes. I’ve been there twice and don’t ever remember it being anything more than the 45

You will really enjoy it.  We did the self guided with the bus out to the launch first and it was great.  Our kids are 20, 13, & 8.  Everything said above is right on the mark so I won't add anything to it other than have fun.

9 hours ago, Hoski said:

You will really enjoy it.  We did the self guided with the bus out to the launch first and it was great.  Our kids are 20, 13, & 8.  Everything said above is right on the mark so I won't add anything to it other than have fun.

Thanks for the reply. With the self guided excursion, did you have to get in line for the bus ride like everyone else? Or was it part of the transportation as emsff02 described above for the guided tour?

On 3/3/2020 at 7:32 AM, WannaCruise said:

Thanks for the reply. With the self guided excursion, did you have to get in line for the bus ride like everyone else? Or was it part of the transportation as emsff02 described above for the guided tour?

You get off the tour bus then ask where the tour to the launch is and it is a short walk then you get in line there.  It has a line for guided tours and a line for on your own.

11 hours ago, Hoski said:

You get off the tour bus then ask where the tour to the launch is and it is a short walk then you get in line there.  It has a line for guided tours and a line for on your own.

Thanks. So we need to get in line then. Thanks for confirming. Hoping line ups aren't too bad as we don't want the waiting to eat up a bulk of the short time there.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:39 AM, WannaCruise said:

Thanks. So we need to get in line then. Thanks for confirming. Hoping line ups aren't too bad as we don't want the waiting to eat up a bulk of the short time there.

As long as you don't get distracted and head straight over to the line for the bus you should be fine.  Others tend to stop at other places.  It is not a straight walk but kind of a curve.  Ask someone and head right over there.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, RickinSTL said:

We didn't do this through the ship.. WE flew into PC a couple of days before.. OMG.. We were there from open till 5 pm.. and still didn't see everything.. lol.. This 47 year old kid really loved it lol 

Thanks for the feedback.  Great to hear you loved it so much.  Sadly our Anthem cruise in March was cancelled so we missed the excursion.  But we re-booked the cruise for December and we also re-booked Kennedy Space Center.  Fingers and toes crossed we get to go.  The port hours on this cruise are actually better as we are in port from 7am - 7pm (vs the hours on our cancelled cruise which was 12pm-9pm....with KSC closing at 6pm).  So won't feel as rushed.