Upgrade to balcony? Will I lose my items in my cruise planner?

Cruisestar86

Hi everyone,

I noticed that price for my cruise has dropped and balconies are cheaper than what I previously paid for an oceanview. I have already made final payment for this cruise but I had thought about calling Royal Caribbean to see if I could upgrade to a balcony. My issue is that I'm worried that I will have to rebook my items that I have already purchased in my cruise planner. I got the drink package when it was $18 per person and I don't want to lose that price. Also will they be able to upgrade since it is after final payment? Has anyone had experience with this before? 

Something to watch out for is if you used OBC to book cruise planner items. If you lose that OBC because of modifying the booking then the items purchased with it will become liable for payment. Royal will notify you if this happens and you get a few days to pay up before they cancel them.

9 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Royal will notify you if this happens and you get a few days to pay up before they cancel them.

In my case they didn't notify me until they canceled my purchase.  It was a Voom purchase so not a big deal but all I received was an email saying my purchase had been canceled for non-payment.

I was just in the same situation.  Paid for interior and a few days ago a guarantee balcony was cheaper.  Called RC and they would not upgrade me...gave me the reason that the pricing I was seeing was only for new reservations?!?  Was going to call back and try someone else. However, due to the ridiculous wait time, by the time I was able to get to speak to someone the guarantee balcony pricing disappeared. 

2 hours ago, Mrsdawg73 said:

I was just in the same situation.  Paid for interior and a few days ago a guarantee balcony was cheaper.  Called RC and they would not upgrade me...gave me the reason that the pricing I was seeing was only for new reservations?!?  Was going to call back and try someone else. However, due to the ridiculous wait time, by the time I was able to get to speak to someone the guarantee balcony pricing disappeared. 

This has happened to me as well.  

Fares published after final due date are there to try to fill the ship.  They want more people on board to spend money on board.  A significant portion of revenue comes from onboard spending.  Moving people around doesn't put any new bodies on board to spend money on board.  

In some cases they allow upgrades to occur after final payment due date and in some cases they do not.  Their ship, their rules.  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

In my case they didn't notify me until they canceled my purchase.  It was a Voom purchase so not a big deal but all I received was an email saying my purchase had been canceled for non-payment.

Oooh, that's bad. I received an email with "Cruise Planner Balance Due" in the subject line which detailed the items and the date they had to be paid by, and then when I logged on it flashed up immediately on the screen.

I just upgraded my May 2020 cruise after final payment.

In my cruise planner is the $18 intern drink package, a couple of excursions and a specially lunch at Chops.

All still there after the upgrade. I did pay for all, no OBC used.

Also when we booked we got OBC, when I upgraded we got an additional $100.

Hope that helps.

48 minutes ago, MicDay said:

I just upgraded my May 2020 cruise after final payment.

In my cruise planner is the $18 intern drink package, a couple of excursions and a specially lunch at Chops.

All still there after the upgrade. I did pay for all, no OBC used.

Also when we booked we got OBC, when I upgraded we got an additional $100.

Hope that helps.

Did you just call and say you noticed it's the same price for upgrade that you paid for lesser cabin and could you upgrade? Was it that easy? I understand it varies call to call and case to case but just wondering what did work for you.

And that's awesome for you!

38 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

Did you just call and say you noticed it's the same price for upgrade that you paid for lesser cabin and could you upgrade? Was it that easy? I understand it varies call to call and case to case but just wondering what did work for you.

And that's awesome for you!

I did just call, I figured they could say no.

I actually got a great C&A rep, the best I've ever had, he listened.

The call started with a question about the Royal Up.  We were in 2 family interior staterooms.  The RU offer was for a OV balcony (highest level, rest were for OV staterooms)

I was asking if I could receive another offer for a stateroom more comparable to the my current size.  I mentioned the price the Suite guarantee was and he asked if I wanted to upgrade.  I said Yes.

Not sure why it worked the way it did, this is only our second cruise with RC.

Maybe one of the way more experienced cruisers can explain?

1 minute ago, MicDay said:

I did just call, I figured they could say no.

I actually got a great C&A rep, the best I've ever had, he listened.

The call started with a question about the Royal Up.  We were in 2 family interior staterooms.  The RU offer was for a OV balcony (highest level, rest were for OV staterooms)

I was asking if I could receive another offer for a stateroom more comparable to the my current size.  I mentioned the price the Suite guarantee was and he asked if I wanted to upgrade.  I said Yes.

Not sure why it worked the way it did, this is only our second cruise with RC.

Maybe one of the way more experienced cruisers can explain?

Great news !!!!  Every once in a while you get a good one.  I'm so glad it worked for you the way it's supposed to !!!  Congratulations