Orlando to Miami: fly or drive?

FroggyFlo

Hi,

Our cruise departs from Miami. I'll fly directly there from Europe, but my husband will come from Orlando with all our summer clothes and stuff. 

Is he better flying or driving? With our own car (he would have to pay parking fees at the cruise terminal) or rental car (he leaves the rental car at the airport and takes another one in order to go back to Orlando)?

Any advice? Thank you!

Amtrak already does Orlando to Miami, it isnt a particularly "cruise friendly" schedule though.

We did Amtrak from Tampa to miami and back for a cruise a couple of years ago, as the usual driver i thought it was great since i could chill and drink for a change, the passengers voted that having me drive was better though so thats not happening again ?

I drove that last year {Hire car Avis) flew into Orlando from UK spent a week with the kids - kids flew back, me and wife drove down to Miami for cruise. I was a bit worried about the drive but it was quite simple and even enjoyable. 

Kids were 21 & 25 at the time.

I took that bus route last time out of Tampa and down along the west coast of Florida and then over to Miami.

Every stop was a McDonald's or Burger King it seemed....and it was more pricey than this side and it was a 15 passenger van as well.

This is supposed to be a motor coach, fully equipped which will make the 4.5 hrs more bearable I am hoping.

34 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I took that bus route last time out of Tampa and down along the west coast of Florida and then over to Miami.

Every stop was a McDonald's or Burger King it seemed....and it was more pricey than this side and it was a 15 passenger van as well.

This is supposed to be a motor coach, fully equipped which will make the 4.5 hrs more bearable I am hoping.

Good luck and enjoy!

There are also some off site parking options available at Miami with shuttles (just have to Google for them).  Also, some hotels offer Park & Cruise deals that allow you to stay a night at the hotel and park your car there while on the cruise. Some offer free shuttles, while other's charge for the shuttle, so do your research so you don't get hit with an unexpected shuttle charge.