What's My Location

Other than carrying a GPS unit or a Smart Phone with that feature or my IPad, (and having internet connectivity) is there a way on board while at sea to find out where the ship is. Like a big map/board/info center that might inform the cruisers where, at any moment the big ship is in the gulf. We are taking what will be my 1st cruise in a few weeks and I thought it might be interesting to attempt some star gazing even though it might be a bit difficult to find a dark place on the ship. In order to know rise times of astronomical objects, one needs to know where they are on the globe.

All RCCL ships have a channel on the TV that displays this.  

One note about phones / tablets:  I don't knbow if it holds true for iOS (Apple) devices, but with some Android devices, you must take the device out of "Hi Accuracy" location mode.  High accuracy mode uses the built in GPS as well as any WiFi and/or cellular connections you may have.  The Wifi and cell service onboard always seem to identify themselves as the homeport location.  You will have to set the device to "GPS only" to get a true location.

I had not thought about the possibility of the in house tv showing that info. Thanks. I did know about using the Android phone as a GPS device. I just was not to keen on purchasing wifi. I just wanted to use the IPad to run some astro programs but was going to need faily accurate Lat and Long positions.

Just an update. Got a simple app for the Moto X called Simple GPS. It is just precisely what I was looking for. Was free, gives number of Sat locked, Lat and Long to 7 decimal places, altitude and speed if moving and also a compass. It's very simple, fast and my phone has a hell of a lot more CPU power than the 20 year old Trimble I was thinking of carrying on board.