Formal Night

Paml514

We will be sailing on Symphony of the seas this July and I was wondering if I could get some information on formal night. We were on Harmony in 2018  (first cruise in many years) and I was unclear as to what night of the week will be formal night, and what differentiates it from the other nights, is it just attire and  the pictures?  I must admit it was somewhat confusing  to see people dressed very well sitting next to people in shorts. 

Formal nights are called dress your best.  It really is up to you.

I have noticed over the course of my cruises that the 2nd formal night (lobster tails in the MDR) people dress up more, including myself.  I also have seen many couples that use the 2nd formal night as the night to celebrate an anniversary or a wedding, hence another reason why it may appear more formal.

We dress up and make it our special date night.  We always get a balcony.  Hubby gets ready 1st.  He than takes his Bourbon and diet coke, and watches the sunset on the balcony.  I close the curtains, and get ready.  MY TIME to MYSELF.  At the time we have agreed upon he knocks on the balcony door just like if he was picking me up for a date some 37 yrs ago.  We than head for cocktails prior to dinner.

OBTW, we never do pics.  We have no desire to stand in line.  We take selfies, we ask the waiter to take pics, etc.  

Fwiw, we also immediately after dinner go back to our room and change before going to the shows.

37 years together... amazing! Wife and I have only been together for half that. 

ahem, anyway, I think the second formal night might end up on day 6, depending on itinerary. 

As for attire, yeah it runs the gauntlet now. I personally like getting a little dressed up, and what others do doesn't bother me.

They do set up photo stations on other nights, so keep an eye out, or just ask one of the photographers. 

if you're doing pictures, I would look at getting a photo package, especially if they have a sale going on. 

We do the opposite of some and make the first formal / dress your best night our more formal one. Usually day 2 is a sea day, so we have more time to get ready. The second one always seems to land on a port day so we feel a little rushed to get back, showered, hair fixed, etc. Also, by time the 2nd dressy night comes around, we're usually in full relaxation mode, and while we still like to dress up that night, it's usually not as 'formal' as what we wear on that first formal night. 

7 hours ago, Paml514 said:

We will be sailing on Symphony of the seas this July and I was wondering if I could get some information on formal night. We were on Harmony in 2018  (first cruise in many years) and I was unclear as to what night of the week will be formal night, and what differentiates it from the other nights, is it just attire and  the pictures?  I must admit it was somewhat confusing  to see people dressed very well sitting next to people in shorts. 

Sometimes the 2nd formal night is also a "white night" for a late party on the pool deck.  We noticed on the Harmony that many folks wore white to dinner in the MDR.  Not sure what folks on the Symphony do.

Look for a Cruise Compass posted on this site for the same ship and itinerary as yours to confirm the nights for formal night.  It's different for eastern vs western Caribbean, or something like that.  It's good to know if your formal nights are on a sea day or port day for planning time to get back on the ship to get ready if you're going all out. 

On 2/29/2020 at 4:48 PM, Paml514 said:

Thanks! I don't know how they expect you to be prepared when they don't promote the themed nights in the cruise planner!

Most first time cruisers go in having no idea about most of the activities available on the ship.  If they find out about a "white party" (or any other fun thing) and end up thinking "hey, we could do that next time" then they've succeeded in getting someone to plan another cruise!

Just returned from a week on Rhapsody, was shocked by the low participation in the formal nights, a handful of tuxedos (including me on the first night) and a few suits and ties, other than that not much change for most other nights. Makes me wonder if it's worth bothering in future.

4 hours ago, Mike.s said:

Just returned from a week on Rhapsody, was shocked by the low participation in the formal nights, a handful of tuxedos (including me on the first night) and a few suits and ties, other than that not much change for most other nights. Makes me wonder if it's worth bothering in future.

Well, if it's something you like to do, then it's worth it. 

if you're finding it a chore to pack stuff, I would dress it down a bit, maybe sports jacket and slacks instead of the tux, and see how that works for you.