Can you purchase Internet onboard for only a few days?

Hi,

I will be going on a 9 night cruise on Ovation of the Seas in April (leaving Sydney). I am looking at purchasing a 1 device VOOM Surf package which is currently being sold for AUD$15 per day in the Cruise Planner (about US$10).

I only need Internet for 7 nights (I don't need it on the first and last day).

Would it be cheaper to pre-purchase the Internet for 9 nights or should I purchase Internet for 7 nights once I am onboard?

Thanks,

Charles.

From what I remember, they offer internet packages on board for the remaining days of the cruise. In your case, you can get it on Day 2 but you'll have to pay for the remaining days.  There were times when this kind of offer appeared on Day 3 or 4.  Maybe it's like the Drink Card they also offer onboard, it's based on supply and demand.

My two cents...

There is a 24 hour pass but it's crazy expensive.  Like $29.99 for 24 hours of surf & stream.

The "Full Voyage" plans offered onboard are purchased for the rest of the cruise and they are prorated as each day passes.  

If you have cruised with Royal before you will have some sort of Crown and Anchor discount that can be applied to one onboard Voom purchase.  This varies from 10% for gold, 15% for platinum and emerald, diamond gets a free day or ~$23 off a package and diamond plus gets two free days or ~$46 off a package.

Consider this onboard Voom rate sheet in $USD:

Voom onboard multi and day pass.jpeg

At the top are Full Voyage plans meaning you must purchase it for all days remaining.  At the very bottom is the pay-per-day rate (24 hour pass).  Once you purchase a 24 hour pass the clock starts ticking and you have 24 hours.  Sometimes this can be used to your advantage.  Buy it noon on day 2 and it will still be active until noon on day 3.  This way you sort of cover two days as long as you don't need it during the morning of day 2 or afternoon of day 3.  Then at noon on day 4 you could buy another that lasts until noon on day 5.   

You may not need to buy Voom on day 1 since the ship is in port until ~5pm assuming your smartphone works normally at the starting port.  Same with some ports days if your smartphone includes coverage while in port.   If your cellular plan doesn't cover you in this way this may be a moot point.  Also, cellular doesn't reach into an interior cabin because the ship is metal so this approach doesn't work for everyone.  

If you need 7 of 9 days fully covered then for most people it makes the most sense to buy it in the cruise planner before sailing for the entire cruise.