Voyager denied entry to Vanautu

bretts173

6 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

If crew having the flu is the new standard for being allowed to enter a port or not, be prepared for a lot of missed ports.

But as many state here..nothing to see or worry about here..everything is just normal and overblown.....:34_rolling_eyes:

We all love to miss stops on our cruises don't we.....:34_rolling_eyes:

Exactly - overblown.  Reaction to people having the run-of-the-mill flu is closing a port is an overreaction.  This pretty much states what a lot of people are saying. 

No..that is not what people are stating...unless I am stupid and cant read or understand English.

What people are saying is the Coronavirus is NOTHING to worry about......whether it comes to health or money or people dying..its just all normal and allows them to get great deals on cruises and buy cheaper stock and post funny memes.

What I am saying is that its a bugger deal than what many sheep here are saying or implying...as a result of the Coronavirus...ports are now being missed if one crew member has the common flu..

That IS a big deal and a direct result of this "NOTHING TO SEE OR WORRY ABOUT" coronavirus....

1 minute ago, mook1525 said:

How does port know if crew member has a flu in the first place?  Do they get on board and check all 1500 crew members?

I wondered the same thing.  I think there is a protocol in place that requires to Capt. to report any sick pax or crew.  My guess is that, in the past, they didn't really worry that much about this issue, but b/c of recent events, they (the ports) are now enforcing it strictly.

I have said it in a couple of conversations recently in regards to cruising.

I have absolutely no concern about Coronavirus itself, from all accounts medically it is basically "harmless" to me .. I do not have a compromised immune system so its basically the common cold. 

I do have concern about getting stranded in quarantine for weeks because everyone else is freaking out about it.

So indirectly i do have a concern about Coronavirus not because its dangerous but because it could get me quarantined.

22 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

What people are saying is the Coronavirus is NOTHING to worry about.

There is a difference between saying it's nothing to worry about and keeping a calm head while not overreacting or extrapolating facts that aren't known.  

People have died so clearly is is something to be aware of and research.  We all can do that without predicting the sky is falling when in fact it hasn't (yet).

Somewhere between "it will be over in a month" and "the world is doomed"  is where this will prove to end up.  It's simply way too early to know and that is precisely what the experts are saying - they don't know yet.  

53 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

@monctonguy I cant figure out your stance. Are you saying the virus, itself, is a big deal and should be worried about.......or the effects of the way its being handled (denying ships port, stock markets, etc...) are a big deal?  

I think my stance has been clear.....its a pretty general stance...the Coronavirus is a big deal and should not be taken lightly or made fun of..people are dead......markets are down, cruises are missing ports and totally cancelling other cruises. And who knows how much wider this could get before it fades away. 

To say it is nothing or to take it lightly and be so casual about all the effects both directly and indirectly on the cruise industry not to mention the tens of thousands of people affected by it just amazes me.

I wouldn't do that about the "normal" flu that kills thousands each year, but generally doesn't have the widespread negative effect that the Coronavirus has had.....I have no idea why this situation seems to be something everyone is so flippant about.

Watching all of this closely. Have B2B out of Sydney on Radiance 3/27 to 4/18 to NZ and SP. Hard part for me is wife is terrified by the news reports and I am immunosuppressed due to kidney transplant 20 years ago. I personally am not alarmed in the least just know to practice good hygiene. This is a lifetime dream trip but......

48 minutes ago, twangster said:

There is a difference between saying it's nothing to worry about and keeping a calm head while not overreacting or extrapolating facts that aren't known.  

People have died so clearly is is something to be aware of and research.  We all can do that without predicting the sky is falling when in fact it hasn't (yet).

Somewhere between "it will be over in a month" and "the world is doomed"  is where this will prove to end up.  It's simply way too early to know and that is precisely what the experts are saying - they don't know yet.  

I disagree...joking about buying into cheaper stock, posting funny memes and talking about people eating McDonalds(in the same sentence as people dying from this) certainly doesnt come across to me as taking it serious or being considerate of the people it has affected and killed. Not even to those that had had lifelong vacation plans affected or ruined by it as well.

Nowhere have I stated the sky is falling or the world is ending....I have simply stated that it is more serious an issue than 99% of  the people posting here seem to treat it.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

If crew having the flu is the new standard for being allowed to enter a port or not, be prepared for a lot of missed ports.

Your statement is a microcosm of what you're essentially rallying against. Crew members have the flu. Not coronavirus. Yet, the port officials denied Voyager for absolutely no reason other than hysteria that MAYBE on the slimmest of chances coronavirus COULD be there (but it's not).

If there was coronavirus, totally different situation.  But the sensationalism around the virus that the media is peddling has caused a benign situation to turn into a missed port of call. If this were 1 month ago, this would not have occurred at all.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Your statement is a microcosm of what you're essentially rallying against. Crew members have the flu. Not coronavirus. Yet, the port officials denied Voyager for absolutely no reason other than hysteria that MAYBE on the slimmest of chances coronavirus COULD be there (but it's not).

If there was coronavirus, totally different situation.  But the sensationalism around the virus that the media is peddling has caused a benign situation to turn into a missed port of call. If this were 1 month ago, this would not have occurred at all.

I agree....but I don't see how that's a microcosm of what I am rallying against. Sorry, maybe I am stupid....I am lost as to what is going on here or what people think or interrupt what I am stating. I thought it was pretty clear and concise and straightforward each time I make a comment about this issue.

1)I never said that people aren't making a bigger deal in some cases than needs to be. I agree that in some cases it is going to far....stopping a ship from docking at a port cause ONE person has the flu is crazy.

2)On the other hand...when something is causing stocks to dive, markets to crash, cruises to be cancelled, people to die....I don't think making light of it and trying to trivialize it by saying more ppl die from other things so we don't need to worry about it is right either. It is a big event that is affecting people around the world in various capacities.....

I am guessing if the epicenter of this had been some mid-western US state, perhaps we wouldn't see the level of flippancy about it.

would there be anu compensations offered to the travellers for these situations? i find it unacceptable that a country is refusing people based on fear and not medical proof.  it seems now that if someone has any virus a country is able to deny docking.... i know i am exagerrating but you see what i mean? can the cruise company insist on the docking port to have a doctor opinion etc or complain about it ?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Part of the problem is that we need to stop referring into a Covid-19 as Coronavirus. 
Coronaviruses are a class of virus and not just a particular one. MRSA, SARS,  and down to the common cold are all part of that family. 

2 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Trying to convince someone over the internet to change their stance on COVID-19 is like convincing someone to take your own political view.  Not going to happen.  Time to move onto a different topic. 

Twice, now, @monctonguy has referenced/quoted me, so I feel the need to say SOMETHING. I stand by everything I have said. Im not worried about this virus. Im going to go on about my life as I always have.... I control what I can, and worry about nothing I cant control. Hell, I barely worry about things I CAN control. Worrying doesnt solve problems...it creates them. 

Saying people should be more concerned about things they are more likely to die from isnt trivializing corona virus.  I 100% believe people should be MORE concerned with other aspects of their health and everyday life than corona virus. Until the likelihood, the numbers of deaths, illnesses and avoidable accidents from the things society is blatantly "flippant" about come close to comparing....that belief wont change.   

Would my level of concern be different if the epicenter was in the US? Well hell yes it would, just like i care more about a bowling ball over my head than one on the ground....but my opinion and ideas about this are based in fact, not hypothetical, and definitely not in speculation. 

....with that, Im done talking about it. Bowing out.....Happy cruising. 

song GIF 

What honestly really amazes me is that Pfizer stock is going down as well.

Especially given the sheer amount of Purrell stands around the symphony and that during ship reboarding at ports crew literally were squeezing massive Purrell refill bottles onto our hands. Just goes to show very few, if any stocks are currently safe.

58 minutes ago, saytheb said:

What honestly really amazes me is that Pfizer stock is going down as well.

Especially given the sheer amount of Purrell stands around the symphony and that during ship reboarding at ports crew literally were squeezing massive Purrell refill bottles onto our hands. Just goes to show very few, if any stocks are currently safe.

Must be kind of frustrating being a CEO and watching your stock tumble despite nothing you or the company has done.  Stock investors are really speculators and with that you introduce emotions into the stock market.  

A market crash often involves a series of stock sell offs but then otherwise intelligent people start believing they better sell too because everyone else is.  There is no science, no data, no numbers involved, just FOMO.  Everyone else is so I better do it to.  

The only saving grace is that investors can't hold the CEO accountable.  Investors caused the stock to tumble, not the CEO.  

5 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I have absolutely no concern about Coronavirus itself, from all accounts medically it is basically "harmless" to me .. I do not have a compromised immune system so its basically the common cold. 

I do have concern about getting stranded in quarantine for weeks because everyone else is freaking out about it.

So indirectly i do have a concern about Coronavirus not because its dangerous but because it could get me quarantined.

^^this exactly^^

I haven’t seen anything official from Royal but I did read this article regarding the denial of entry.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/02/articles/disease/royal-caribbeans-voyager-of-the-seas-denied-permission-to-call-on-ports-during-australian-cruise/

i know the Islands have been strict on this. I have a friend travelling on Celebrity in April and currently at least two of the ports are not allowing access to cruise ships. He is worried it will turn into a cruise of just sea days.

From reading on other blogs, sounds like things are getting quite heated on Voyager about the change of itinerary to New Zealand with a brawl reported at guest services with allegedly 4 arrested who will put off at the next port (somewhere in NZ). Crew morale is especially low.

I understand things change but if I had booked and packed for a South Pacific Cruise I also would be pretty peeved if I ended up in NZ (no offence meant).

I am booked on Voyager to do a South Pacific Cruise on 18th March so who knows where we end up.  Happy to go around in a big circle for 10 nights or head to northern Australia, but better make sure I put a jumper in my suitcase just in case we also get rerouted.? 

I understand you may be disappointed about missing your ports but what can you do about. RC are in a difficult position. People will complain if they have no ports and others will complain if they go to a colder port. Surely people aren't living under a rock and can see what this situation is doing to the cruise industry.

19 minutes ago, soak01 said:

From reading on other blogs, sounds like things are getting quite heated on Voyager about the change of itinerary to New Zealand with a brawl reported at guest services with allegedly 4 arrested who will put off at the next port (somewhere in NZ). Crew morale is especially low.

I understand things change but if I had booked and packed for a South Pacific Cruise I also would be pretty peeved if I ended up in NZ (no offence meant).

I am booked on Voyager to do a South Pacific Cruise on 18th March so who knows where we end up.  Happy to go around in a big circle for 10 nights or head to northern Australia, but better make sure I put a jumper in my suitcase just in case we also get rerouted.? 

• 2 weeks later...

just return from the south pacific voyager trip, we ended up in tauranga, nz, bay of islands, nz and eden, aus for those of you who still want to know. 10% of the price paid as a compensation but since an fcc was applied, not much in return. 

On 2/28/2020 at 8:33 AM, jticarruthers said:

exactly my thoughts also.