Royal Caribbean purchases land on Paradise Island Nassau, Bahamas

If you read the original article (http://www.tribune242.com/news/2020/feb/27/royal-caribbeans-pi-land-deals-revealed/), it sounds like Royal is buying up pretty much everything west of the Yoga Retreat (https://goo.gl/maps/o25HT4S8Gf4meN4f7).  They are now trying to get access to the undeveloped government land between the last of the houses and the light house.  When I was in Nassau in June, I thought that it was weird that a lot of the properties looked run down and abandoned.  At the time I just thought it was just hurricane damage but it might have just been that Royal had bought them and were just letting them rot until they could tear them down.

Very interesting indeed. We have been to nassau many times in the past few years on anthem and she seems to always park in the same birth and our side of the ship faces this little piece of land. I have noticed the same houses that look in total disrepair for YEARS and could not really understand why they had not been fixed up. This seems to make some sense.

28 minutes ago, VinceC said:

Wow, It looks like they can build a walking bridge from the docks to that area of the Island.  

I doubt the government would allow that, but if they did it would have to be a movable bridge or really high as some taller ships do tie up on the far side of the dock.  The furthest slip also can handle the the largest ships or two back to back so I doubt the government would want to compromise that.

Would be nice though.

22 hours ago, StayFrosty said:

I doubt the government would allow that, but if they did it would have to be a movable bridge or really high as some taller ships do tie up on the far side of the dock.  The furthest slip also can handle the the largest ships or two back to back so I doubt the government would want to compromise that.

Would be nice though.

The bridge would not have to be movable as there are NO Large Ships going through there.  They have ferries and private boats and Yachts that go through so it does not have to been extremely high either.   I think it is a very viable option and if Nassau is not paying for it, I think that would be easily approved.

Nassau Bridge.JPG

1 hour ago, VinceC said:

The bridge would not have to be movable as there are NO Large Ships going through there.  They have ferries and private boats and Yachts that go through so it does not have to been extremely high either.   I think it is a very viable option and if Nassau is not paying for it, I think that would be easily approved.

I am not saying that it is impossible, just unlikely.  In the picture, that you posted, you can easily see the area that has been dredged for cruise ships and the east extension of the pier used to tie off large vessels.  Your proposed bridge would go right through that area.  Why go to the expense to do that and then block it off.

Here are some pictures from the last 10 years or so that show that space being used for ships. Sometimes two ships, sometimes large ships.

4-17-2017.thumb.JPG.a0c1b3ff224164e1a6509c7e1f49e313.JPG2-13-2015.thumb.JPG.16d731c46a97bf5680f00fb38633b799.JPG

4-1-2017.thumb.JPG.b643851b3d7bca309ba3cbdf051fb87a.JPG

And ships are only getting bigger.

I just don't see the local government allowing a bridge there that would limit the pier's utility in the future. 

That being said, a bridge would be really convenient, I just don't see it happening.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

https://thenassauguardian.com/royal-caribbean-now-has-pi-crown-land-and-seabed-leases/

Royal Caribbean Group’s Vice President of Governmental Relations for the Americas Russell Benford revealed on Saturday that the company has obtained a Crown land lease for land on the western end of Paradise Island, as well as a seabed lease for its Royal Beach Club project.

Gleaming information based on posts and knowing almost nothing about cruise management, maybe they intend to use to land to build supply storage, crew dormitories, or maintenance docks? If the land is too small for amenities I'm sure they can use it for many other practical purposes.