An old question about MDR vs UDP (special dining)

Eaglelover

Since this is our (my wife and I) first cruise (always wanted to go to Alaska), we've pretty much decided to just do the standard fare (MDR / Windjammer, etc).  How about some advice about why I might want to use the UDP or some special dining?  We've leaned toward an Italian night (she likes eggplant), but really thought most of the evening meals would be very nice.  Neither of us is a picky eater - connoisseur is not in our dictionary(ies).

I find it more about atmosphere -- the food at the MDR is usually good and the service is great but  it can feel a little busy and loud at times- depends a lot on where you are seated. A dinner at one of the other specialty restaurants is more date-like. When I cruise with my sister we always end the cruise with lunch at Chops.  It's a relaxing last sea day.

17 hours ago, Phillip Diamond Plus said:

We most often just do the Main Dining Room.  We like the variety. And the quality of the food is very good in our opinion! There is an Italian night each week that is very good. Also, the Windjammer oftentimes has eggplant with the cheeses and marinara sauce close by.

I think that we've decided to use your advice.  Having reviewed many of the posted menus (with a big special thanks to twangster and his post about ROS southbound - albeit 2018), I think I we'll just do the MDR with maybe a night of special dining.  Good advice and we appreciate it.

Perhaps try Giovanni's for one night. Their Eggplant Parmesan IS. THE. BOMB! Having done ROS southbound this past July (2019), I would either do a 3 Night Dining (to get Izumi in the mix) or just one night in Giovanni's. And, I agree, the WJ is great, too. Having the UDP on ROS was too much. Don't bother with Samba. Meh to blah.

We are going back to Alaska on Serenade of the Seas July 2021 and this is the strategy we will take next time. 3 Night Dining Package + Windjammer.

Edited by Baked Alaska
Add another thought