Happy Thoughts - Questions

SteveinSC

Look, people...this is supposed to be our happy place, where we talk about things that make us happy. A sanctuary from the outside nonsense of the world. Our distraction from the chaos.  I have participated in, and observed a lot of division of opinion and ideology on this board lately.....so I figured Id give us something to talk about that we can all agree on. WE LOVE CRUISING!  So, im going to pose a couple questions to you.....

1. Whats your favorite thing about cruising? Relaxation, seeing parts of the world, the food, the party? 

2. If you could go on a cruise, anywhere in the world, right now.....where would you go and on which ship? 

Kumbaya, Peace be with you, Woosah, Hakuna matata....... 

11 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

1. Whats your favorite thing about cruising? Relaxation, seeing parts of the world, the food, the party? 

2. If you could go on a cruise, anywhere in the world, right now.....where would you go and on which ship? 

My answers - 

1: Getting away from the daily grind, and doing it with a tropical backdrop (never done anything but a Caribbean itinerary).

2: South Pacific (Fiji, French Polynesia, etc....) on a any Quantum class ship.  

@SteveinSC  1. I like cruising because it is a mobile hotel....how awesome to have a home for a period of time to take you to places that are possibly better than your real home. Also as a slight DDP-er..dooms day prep-er, I swear I am not crazy I just watched a lot of zombie/apocalypse stuff and know how I would survive....I am super in love with boats. Like my dream is to retire on a boat. Also there is food and other stuff like shows that may or may not involve humans dressed up like felines, scooting across the stage.

2. If i could go on a cruise right now I would want to go Celtic and like maybe Nav or Mariner....I am a huge Scotland and Ireland person....like Highlanders and sheep are me peeps. How can you not love a kilt?? But bucket list I would go Ovation and Australia/New Zealand or Alaska

Gah...still 290 days out!!

1. What's your favorite thing about cruising? Relaxation, seeing parts of the world, the food, the party? Yes!! And that someone else prepares and brings it to me and then cleans it up!

2. If you could go on a cruise, anywhere in the world, right now.....where would you go and on which ship? To the Caribbean anywhere on any Oasis class.

25 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

I love the ocean. I love any body of water but the ocean is the most amazing thing to me. Waves make me happy and take any worries away. Grew up on an island (peninsula) and going to the beach isn't just a summer thing. Many memories from a child to this past summer are from the beach. I am my best self near water (don't care how dumb that sounds) because I'm calm and relaxed. There are so many things to love on a cruise but just being on the water is the number one.

I'm mainly a Caribbean cruiser because of ^^^ but I'd like to go back to Italy from a cruise perspective. Or to go Greece. Or any part of Europe that is cruisable. Thanks to blogs here Alaska is finally a thought for the future. Don't care what ship at the moment.

I love the ocean!  I love stars at night!  I love the all inclusive nature of a cruise ship along with different places to see and entertainment at night.  Not cooking any meals help my love of cruising. 

16 days I’ll be back on Harmony! Luckily I have 2 other bucket list cruises booked: Alaska this summer and Greece in 2021.  My dream cruise is to the Galapagos.  

You know those days when you're tempted to list your children for sale on Facebook? Just saying my answers may be skewed a little today. ?‍♀️

We cruise to vacation together without always having to be together...it's nice to ship the kids off the AO so DH and I can have a little grown up vacation time too.

Right now I would take any ship...going anywhere...as long as it was solo.

On a side note...Anyone need a helping hand or two around the house? They can take out the trash, unload, the dishwasher, work in the yard...anyone? No? Serenity now! 

There are so many things I love about cruising--the vastness of the ocean, watching the sunrise/set, spending lots of time with my family and sometimes friends, relaxing by the pool, having the deluxe drink package and being able to try a wide variety of drinks I would never otherwise try, visiting new places, the wonderful shows onboard, trivia in the Schooner Bar (especially trivia in the Schooner Bar with a grapefruit-habanero or lavender daiquiri), lots of time to read for fun, etc. But especially because it is a TRUE vacation-- nothing to clean, no laundry to do, no meals to cook or clean up after-- no worries or stress at all. Just relaxation.

I would love to do a really long around-the-world itinerary. I just read about a 180-day one on Oceania that starts in San Francisco, goes down the west coast of North- and South America, up the east coast of South America, across the Atlantic to Africa, all around Africa, across the Indian Ocean, all around SE Asia, up to Japan, back across and around Alaska, back down the west coast, through the Panama Canal, through the Caribbean, up the east coast ending in New York. That's my dream. I don't know if RC offers such a long itinerary, but it sounds absolutely amazing. My husband also wants to take a cruise starting in Europe across the North Atlantic with stops in Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, and the Maritime provinces. That sounds pretty spectacular too.

I love this post!!

I love cruising for the ports of call - I've been lucky enough to visit Cuba,  Russia and the Baltic so far. Places that I probably wouldn't have been able to visit otherwise.  My next cruise is Norwegian fjords in July. 

I'd love to do more cruises in the Caribbean and Alaksa is definitely on my list. If I could teleport over from the UK I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Haha.

Definitely seeing parts of the world that I didn't think I'd have the chance to, mostly because of the cost. That's closely followed by the food and wine, the people I meet on board (especially at the MDR where we always ask for a shared table), and a chance to truly step away from all the hustle and bustle.

There are several HAL itineraries I'm dying to go on, but the current "if money and vacation time were no objects" cruise is a 37-day Spitsbergen, Iceland, and British Isles Explorer trip on the little MS Veendam. Multiple stops in Norway, the polar ice cap (Svalbard), Iceland, Scotland, Great Britian, and Ireland.

58 minutes ago, Johnstewarth said:

My husband also want to take a cruise starting in Europe across the North Atlantic with stops in Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, and the Maritime provinces. That sounds pretty spectacular too.

Your husband has great taste, I haven't been to the last three but they are on my list.

An around the world trip sounds amazing but I feel like my max would be 104 days...that's the longest i would want to be subjected to not being able to cook my own food. Like maybe if we could choose like 3 or 4 continents and work from there.

I love cruising because they're this multi-destination trip with an amazing hotel experience sandwiched in there -- oh, and there are sandwiches (and other delicious foods...)! I get to see something a little different in each port, and my view from on deck is a little different every day, too; even on sea days, you see something a little different -- the color of the sky, the color of the water, a particularly cool wave...

Plus, there are people all around, so if I feel like interacting with others, I can...or, I can do my own thing. It's pretty sweet!

Dream cruise? Something around the world, especially through the Northern Hemisphere and its northern latitudes. Icebergs, fjords, auroras, whales... 

Though honestly, I'm not sure what ship I'd pick -- I don't need a floating amusement park, just a nice variety of activities, especially for the bad-weather sea days!

Favorite thing about cruising is the ability to unplug. With the nature of my job, I am basically on call 24/7 most of the time. So when I go on a cruise, I very intentionally do not get an internet package and let everyone know that I will be unavailable for a week. 

Dream cruise, I'm a sea day kind of guy, so I'd love to do a transatlantic someday and be able to spend some time in Europe. 

Anytime on the water, sitting in a recliner reading, sleeping, as long as it is warm. Love that we do not have to cook or clean and we DO NOT get the internet packages and turn off our phones. Love the Caribbean for that reason, warm weather, warm water and friendly people.

Been up and down each coast and many times Eastern and Western Caribbean. Anywhere of the fore mentioned places. 23 days to go for the next adventure!??

3 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

Look, people...this is supposed to be our happy place, where we talk about things that make us happy. A sanctuary from the outside nonsense of the world. Our distraction from the chaos.  I have participated in, and observed a lot of division of opinion and ideology on this board lately.....so I figured Id give us something to talk about that we can all agree on. WE LOVE CRUISING!  So, im going to pose a couple questions to you.....

Kumbaya, Peace be with you, Woosah, Hakuna matata....... 

1. My wife and I cruise in order to see the world economically, listen to live music, dance, and eat good food.  I need to emphasize music and dancing, because many land resorts don't offer that at the same level as a Royal Caribbean cruise.  For us, even a "normal" cruise kind of seems like it is all inclusive (except for some of our beverages).  I dearly love visiting other countries, especially if I can practice my language skills.

2/ Where we want to go for our 25th anniversary is French Polynesia, and right now Oceania's itineraries seem better than Royal's, but we haven't booked anything.  I also want to do another Med cruise.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Definitely seeing parts of the world that I didn't think I'd have the chance to, mostly because of the cost. That's closely followed by the food and wine, the people I meet on board (especially at the MDR where we always ask for a shared table), and a chance to truly step away from all the hustle and bustle.

There are several HAL itineraries I'm dying to go on, but the current "if money and vacation time were no objects" cruise is a 37-day Spitsbergen, Iceland, and British Isles Explorer trip on the little MS Veendam. Multiple stops in Norway, the polar ice cap (Svalbard), Iceland, Scotland, Great Britian, and Ireland.

Sorry to be picky "Multiple stops in Norway, the polar ice cap (Svalbard), Iceland, Scotland, Great Britain, and Ireland." Scotland is part of Great Britain - Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & England are the 4 nations that form "Great Britain" at the moment, for how long post Brexit is any ones guess.

Northern Ireland & Wales are amazing countries to visit and you are more than welcome. ??

5 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

1. Getting pampered with good food that I didn't cook, no dishes to clean & put away, experiencing new cultures

2. Alaska, river cruising in South America!

I love cruising because once we get on the ship there's really nothing I have to do like cooking and cleaning on other vacations. I wish I would have discovered this type vacation when the kids were younger and vacations seemed like almost as much work just in another location. I also love the uninterrupted time that cruising gives my husband and I together.

Because we live in Florida I still enjoy the affordability and ease of  Caribbean cruises but if I could go anywhere on a cruise it'd be Scotland and Ireland.

Great fun question!

3 hours ago, DaiC01 said:

Sorry to be picky "Multiple stops in Norway, the polar ice cap (Svalbard), Iceland, Scotland, Great Britain, and Ireland." Scotland is part of Great Britain - Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & England are the 4 nations that form "Great Britain" at the moment, for how long post Brexit is any ones guess.

Northern Ireland & Wales are amazing countries to visit and you are more than welcome. ??

No worries! For some reason, I didn’t remember that England was the correct name for that island. ?

Wow, so I have cruised a lot in the past, but they were all cruises with my ex husband and while I loved cruising I spent most of my sea days hiding from my ex on a lounge chair tucked away in a hidden corner of the ship somewhere with a book in my hand.  It has been nearly 4 years since my last cruise, and in that time divorce and new marriage happened. YAY!!!   "Now" hubby and I are headed to Europe in 45 days. We have 2 cruises booked, a Western Med, and an 11 day Ireland/Scotland.  While the Panama Canal is still on my list,  I think Ireland and Scotland will fulfill most of my dream list. Getting to experience it with someone I actually want to spend time with will be icing on the cake.  The Jewel will by my hubby's first ever cruise, so keeping fingers crossed he loves cruises too. 

On 2/27/2020 at 12:20 PM, SteveinSC said:

1. I LOVE to unplug form all the technology. My husband and I never purchase the wifi package, and we basically leave our phones in locked in the stateroom for the duration of the cruise. It feels amazing to not have my phone or computer, and be away from work emails and text messages and notifications. It's when we can spend REAL time together, not watching TV or on the computer. Relaxing on the beach, having a conversation over lunch, things we wouldn't normally get to experience if we were distracted by technology. I love that nobody else in the world can talk to me or bother me with questions while I'm at sea. DEFINITELY an escape. 

2. Normally I would say a cruise in Asia, but lately I've been looking more into an Alaskan or European cruise. If i'm feeling more adventurous, Alaskan on any ship.