sanitizing room

3shar

I would advise against bringing a canister of anything. I forgot my SONO wipes (medical grade, Amazon) and picked up Lysol wipes on the way to the airport. My stuff got searched by the airport security, said it was because of the canister. He also said it's not illegal to bring but I'm advising against because who wants their stuff searched? I usually put whatever I have in a ziplock bag and that's never been a problem nor have travel packs of wipes.

EDIT: I put in carry on luggage, not checked. Thanks @Lovetocruise2002

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We pack Oxivir TB wipes every time and nobody gives us a hard time.

We stole this idea from @Lovetocruise2002 and had no problems bringing them aboard. We didn't keep the wipes in the original container and again no problem. We cruised in Jan prior to Corona virus, but none of us were sick during or after the cruise. We wiped down each cabin upon arrival. Worth the short money and small time investment! Those unused wipes are handy to have around the house if someone gets the flu.

@ellcee post just reminded me of something.  I should add that when we fly to the port, my tub of Oxivir TB wipes goes into my checked luggage.  When we board the ship, I carry it in my carry on since we sanitize the room as soon as we enter.  

@Lovetocruise2002 I looked on Amazon, are these wipes really $179 a canister or do they come in a smaller size and I'm just not finding it?

14 minutes ago, MicDay said:

@Lovetocruise2002 I looked on Amazon, are these wipes really $179 a canister or do they come in a smaller size and I'm just not finding it?

I think that is the case price. They are around $22 at staples

https://www.staples.com/Diversey-Oxivir-TB-Disinfectant-Cleaner-Wipes-160-Wipes-Pk/product_845335?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:845335&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=845335&KPID=845335&gclid=CjwKCAiAy9jyBRA6EiwAeclQhAlX80xp2VuqJSR96oDd4NB9MsT8sYfayrs2M4WFa4hh-buB8IlCYRoCk24QAvD_BwE

I have been bringing Lysol or Clorox wipes with me since my first flight in 2001. I literally wipe everything down as soon as I get to the room or my seat. I also carry the tiny disinfectant sprays in my backpack/purse all year round. That can has never been confiscated during a TSA screening or on any cruise. The first time my brother and I traveled together he talked mad crap. Neither of us have ever come back sick...coming back on our first leg from Egypt we were the only people on the plane not sick

Baby Success GIF

54 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 Your wipes look better...I can always bring both

You have to be careful with Clorox wipes because not all the versions sanitize equally. Many of them don’t kill Noro. The only one I know of that does is Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide wipes from their healthcare line. Read labels carefully.  Oxivir is pretty potent. That is why we use those instead.

46 minutes ago, MicDay said:

haha

I knew it was wrong but then again you never know you might be a germaphobic and just pay that??

I am a huge germaphobe! You have no idea. And I probably would pay that too! Thank goodness they are cheaper than that! ?

You have to be careful with Clorox wipes because not all the versions sanitize equally. Many of them don’t kill Noro. The only one I know of that does is Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide wipes from their healthcare line. Read labels carefully.  Oxivir is pretty potent. That is why we use those instead.

I am a huge germaphobe! You have no idea. And I probably would pay that too! Thank goodness they are cheaper than that! ?

I am and apparently I am not

Huge fan of washing hands a lot.....

I wipe down the whole stateroom, hotel room ......

I use the paper towel to open the bathroom doors

But

Have I ever wiped down the airplane seat, tray or anything on an airplane, NO ??

You bet I will from now on

8 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

I even bring scrubbing bubbles for the shower!!!!!

I hope that isn't a chlorine based product.

On newer ships that have an Advanced Wastewater Purification System anything with chlorine that goes down the drain is strictly forbidden.  The problem is that the waste water system uses a bioreactor in which good bacteria breakdown solids and prepare them for later stages in the purification process.  Eventually once wastewater is as pure as drinking water it is released into the sea. 

Chlorine kills the good bacteria and breaks the bioreactor process.  That's a pretty significant event that greatly reduces the effectiveness of the system and can lead to some pretty serious issues in the wastewater treatment plant on board.

The ship uses specific cleaning chemicals that are compatible with the bioreactor that don't kill the good bacteria.  

I understand what you are trying to do but understand there is a lot more to a ship's plumbing system compared to the typical household.  Be very careful bringing residential cleaning products onto a ship if they are going to go down the drain.  

Wipes that are used to sanitize a cabin can contain bleach or variations of bleach because no one should be flushing wipes down the toilet.  Use as many wipes as you want to clean a cabin, just put them in the trash.  

Clorox wipes are good and you can get a package from the Dollar Store that work great. (Green package, as they're the ones that kill viruses.) And throw the wipes in the trash, not flushing down the toilet. Healthcare wipes are even better.

That said, be smart and you should be fine.

Great suggestions here.  I know these aren't for hands so anyone recommend any travel wipes to clean hands? Or do you just stick with hand sanitizer?  I'm thinking of the situation where you go to the buffet and then use the tongs that many others have touched. I know that we are all supposed to washy washy but you don't know that others have done so, or that they haven't put their hands in their mouths or sneezed or coughed into their hands.  I sometimes use a paper towel to pick up the tongs or even return to the sinks to wash my hand again after getting my food, but no way my kids will do either.

11 hours ago, MicDay said:

Have I ever wiped down the airplane seat, tray or anything on an airplane, NO ??

People have laughed at me while I wipe my seat down, the neck rest, the tray table, anything I may come into contact with and if I can, the person next to me. I've also had people ask for a wipe. I take medical grade ones on the plane. I'm not sure how effective it all is but I have a bad tendency to touch my face or bite my nails so I like to be protected. Plus, I've gotten noro before and it was one of the worst sicknesses I've ever had. I haven't gotten the flu in a decade - not saying it's all the wipes and stuff but it makes me feel better.

12 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

I read earlier that alcohol is extremely effective against the coronavirus  .... I'm heading straight to the bar ???

My daughter got back from China a month ago. We went to the bar right away for a whiskey night. I'm not a doctor,  but the only ailment we had was the massive hang over. Whiskey and Clorox wipes for our cruise in April?

7 minutes ago, ellcee said:

People have laughed at me while I wipe my seat down, the neck rest, the tray table, anything I may come into contact with and if I can, the person next to me. I've also had people ask for a wipe. I take medical grade ones on the plane. I'm not sure how effective it all is but I have a bad tendency to touch my face or bite my nails so I like to be protected. Plus, I've gotten noro before and it was one of the worst sicknesses I've ever had. I haven't gotten the flu in a decade - not saying it's all the wipes and stuff but it makes me feel better.

I have a full pack of SONO wipes in my checked and a half empty pack of SONO wipes in my backpack.  I have every intention of wiping my seat area on my next airplane ride.  A benefit of growing older is not caring what people think.    

Over years of business travel across the US I often got something on those trips from "common colds" to things approaching the flu.  I blame the airplane or the nasty TV remote in the hotel room.  Wipe it down.   

Take into consideration that the process should be done everyday since you not really know with what the room attended is using to wipe your remote control and other areas in you cabin, I tend to think this should be OK but for sure in hotels they are re using the same wipes between rooms ... I started to hide the remote control because of that ?  

On our last cruise we asked our room attendant to only to clean the bathroom, make the bed, vacuum, and only make up the room once a day.  That way we only had to wipe down the bathroom everyday and not the whole cabin. We are on vacation after all. Our room attendant was the best she took really good care of us and we took good care of her too.

Another note when you are wiping down make sure there is some residue when you wipe.  Most wipes need 30 to 60 seconds to do the proper job.  If you are wiping and it is dry then the wipes are doing their job.  If in doubt get a new one out.

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

Take into consideration that the process should be done everyday since you not really know with what the room attended is using to wipe your remote control and other areas in you cabin, I tend to think this should be OK but for sure in hotels they are re using the same wipes between rooms ... I started to hide the remote control because of that ?  

I do this also at hotels and the housekeepers always look a me funny. I always put the remote in the safe with anything else I don't want to leave out for the day. If I am staying more than 8 days at a regular hotel, I tell them to come and clean every other day. This is because I don't want to come in from a long day and re-wipe everything down ?.