June 2020 Caribbean Covid-19

DMT

Taking a Caribbean cruise on Harmony on June 14. Deposit due March 16. I can't help but be concerned about the seemingly rapidly spreading Coronavirus. Taking small grand daughters with us. Would appreciate your comments. Is Royal Caribbean making any special provisions for those who have fully paid for their cruise but ultimately decide agains boarding due to Covid-19?

Based on what we know today, you should have no qualms about cruising from the US to the Caribbean.

First and foremost, have you looked up what coronavirus symptoms are? 

From the CDC....

• Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath

Not exactly the bubonic plague.

To answer your question directly....

4 minutes ago, DMT said:

Is Royal Caribbean making any special provisions for those who have fully paid for their cruise but ultimately decide agains boarding due to Covid-19?

Unless you have been potentially exposed to Coronavirus (based on the screening procedures that are in place), no, you cannot simply change your mind.

You could opt to get Cancel For Any Reason travel insurance and cash that in to get some money back.

But you have to separate the media hype surrounding coronavirus with the realities of where it is, the statistical likelihood of actually getting it, and the insane regulations countries are placing to curb the spread of it.

Well, my situation is a bit different. My wife and I are scheduled on the Spectrum of the Seas, out of Shanghai, on May 24th. All paid for, and inside the cancellation window (really because RCL talked me into not cancelling). They have promised, on numerous occasions, to provide us with a plan of action, since NOTHING is in Shanghai right now, including the ship, which is in Sydney. We are not really worried about the virus, for ourselves, but we know it isn't going away, anytime soon. We also have travel insurance, which may, or may not, pay out. But, the cruise is paid for, as are my flights. Royal says they have a back-up plan, but all I am reading about is the free cruises for emergency workers in Australia, and China (in the future). I think what they are doing there, is a fantastic thing, and commendable. However, at some point, they need to tell their paying customers what they are going to do. Has anyone heard any rumors? This is our 35th anniversary, and we really want to do some cruise, but Royal isn't talking, and Delta will happily take our money, if I have to make a change.