Worried about coronavirus

Anastasia

I had my travel agent cancel my booking today for the Oasis on May 3. With about 60 days to go before the cruise, there is so much uncertainty that I don’t want to gamble on.  

I’m hoping this situation will have been resolved before my next booking which is the Odyssey Inaugural in November.

25 minutes ago, YOLO said:

The email also describes who will be required to undergo mandatory screenings...

image.png

That going to make my sailing out of Singapore interesting on the 30th April. Worst case I spend a couple more nights in Singapore, I can think of worst places to be and probable be able to claim hotel and flights back through insurance.

16 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I had my travel agent cancel my booking today for the Oasis on May 3. With about 60 days to go before the cruise, there is so much uncertainty that I don’t want to gamble on.  

I’m hoping this situation will have been resolved before my next booking which is the Odyssey Inaugural in November.

that's too bad,  I just booked the same ship and date,  can't wait

Just my opinion.  This is going to be like a slow train wreck. I believe that not only is the virus in the US but it is wide spread. As they test more and more, they will find more and more. The reason it seems to be spreading so quickly is that they're just identifying it in pts who were assumed to have the flu or a cold. In my city, it has been one of the worst "flu" seasons in history and hospitals have been full for months. If it is very wide spread it would exaggerate the apparent death rate as most people recover without seeking care and so hopefully it won't be that virulent. Thousands of Chinese were traveling all over the world before the Chinese government even acknowledged the virus. How could it not have spread. This whole situation has never made much sense to me and this is the best I can come up with.

1 hour ago, SnickerTail said:

So what happens when they get to the magic number of cases for the US? Start restricting states, shut everything down, or just sign a waiver accepting coronavirus risk?

They will have shut it down. USA could be at 300++ cases by mid week if the test kits arrive which would be the litmus test for shutting down other countries 

4 hours ago, Anastasia said:

Had a question: what if you feel unwell for some reason, a few days before boarding? What’s the procedure then?

Just to add on to what others here said, I think the real situational check is if you are starting to feel / are still feeling feverish after those few days. Another post in the forums here indicated that the opening pattern with this disease is a sore throat that lasts a few days, followed by the onset of fever and chest congestion. So if you felt off for a few days but then better with no fever, you're probably not at risk of being denied boarding (though you should absolutely tell the folks there so you can be properly checked and confirmed).

26 minutes ago, ellcee said:

Already sold out. This is gonna be a fun few months. My favorite wipes are on backorder. sigh. ?

Pretty much everything is SOLD OUT on Amazon.

I Don't think we will see the US Gov shutting things down.  They didn't for other outbreaks so I just don't see that happening with this one.  

Although, I could see it going as far as someone taking your temperature before you board planes, trains, and cruise ships etc....  With the instant infrared thermometers they have now it will only take 1 sec to get a reading.   

21 hours ago, mark52479 said:

LOL maybe you got their room.....

I am on the May 3rd cruise as well with NO plans to cancel at all.  

I still plan on going, this Virus is not going to deter my wife and I in taking a little vacation away from work and kids.  Damn We need a break. and I fully expect for RCL to be diligent in their screening process in prior to embarkation.  Also that goes with the passengers prior in embarkation, hope they are truthful about their health and do the right thing                      it goes both ways..

My next cruise is almost 5 months away, so I'm not concerned about it now -- if this is still an issue 5 months from now, we've got bigger problems than whether or not I get my vacation -- especially since I work in a hospital -- I'm more worried about what's going to happen at work at that point.

Glad it's not the next 2 weeks -- DD just came down with a bad cold & has a slight fever, so that would really screw us up.

People are out of control already. I honestly forgot to get tissues at Costco this weekend and just popped in because I was by it again. ALL PAPER PRODUCTS WERE SOLD OUT!!!!!  Really.  If people on land are acting like this how is the travel industry gonna handle it?  Airlines are already allowing to waive change fees.  

1 minute ago, RBRSKI said:

People are out of control already. I honestly forgot to get tissues at Costco this weekend and just popped in because I was by it again. ALL PAPER PRODUCTS WERE SOLD OUT!!!!!  Really.  If people on land are acting like this how is the travel industry gonna handle it?  Airlines are already allowing to waive change fees.  

I think the travel industry will let people change their itineraries with no penalties BUT will come short of cancelling things outright.  

I can see RCL letting people change their cruise to a different time but NOT refunding the entire trip.  

2 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

we went to our local Costco, and it was a disaster.   it was  a mess, and the staff couldn't keep up,   each customer had a minimum of 2 carts full..

I've ridden the train for over 15 years and today was the first time I've ever smelled cleaning products. Not sure what one intensive cleaning is going to do for more than a day.

13 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

I honestly forgot to get tissues at Costco this weekend and just popped in because I was by it again. ALL PAPER PRODUCTS WERE SOLD

Costco was holiday packed when I went. I genuinely needed to stock up - as I do about once a month. It was nuts.

28 minutes ago, ellcee said:

Costco was holiday packed when I went. I genuinely needed to stock up - as I do about once a month. It was nuts

Saw a video of a Costco in the Greater Toronto Area where customers were climbing up the shelves to reach the items still in the pallets...

1 minute ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Saw a video of a Costco in the Greater Toronto Area where customers were climbing up the shelves to reach the items still in the pallets...

I was at Costco Mississauga and didn’t see that last weekend. I guess it has come to Canada lol

2 hours ago, mark52479 said:

Well does anyone remember how RCL dealt with H1N1 and the Swine flu?

IMO I think it will probably be similar to that.  

What did they do? I remember cruising during SARS (actually got married then so thank goodness nothing cancelled). All I remember was screening questions. What happened during other viruses?

6 minutes ago, carrie76 said:

What did they do? I remember cruising during SARS (actually got married then so thank goodness nothing cancelled). All I remember was screening questions. What happened during other viruses?

I don't know.  That is why i was putting it out there.

I am curious myself how they handled it.  

21 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Just to add on to what others here said, I think the real situational check is if you are starting to feel / are still feeling feverish after those few days. Another post in the forums here indicated that the opening pattern with this disease is a sore throat that lasts a few days, followed by the onset of fever and chest congestion. So if you felt off for a few days but then better with no fever, you're probably not at risk of being denied boarding (though you should absolutely tell the folks there so you can be properly checked and confirmed).

One issue that seem to be occurring, is the number of people who don't know they are infected, until some number of days later...which could occur after one boards a ship or aircraft, as has been occurring, apparently, already.

1 hour ago, Anastasia said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/04/california-confirms-first-coronavirus-death-bringing-us-fatalities-to-at-least-11.html

apparently, the latest fatality in California is related to a person who was recently on a cruise!

The person that died in California was an elderly person that was on the Diamond Princess in China that was quarantined for weeks in china.  

Was not on a cruise that originated in the US.