Worried about coronavirus

Anastasia

5 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but it's only going to get worse!  Hold on tight, it's gonna be a hell of a ride!

I absolutely agree its going to get worse.....but still not near enough for me to adjust my travel plans. Google "SARS outbreak 2002" and see if it sounds familiar. I cruised in 2002, also. lol 

16 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The cruiseline will deny you boarding in this case and refund you, so insurance doesn't need to cover that part, though.

Thanks, I didn't read the update put out by Royal Caribbean, but it does state:

"All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds."
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

My comment was more against an insurance company trying to get out of coverage, could be for anything, replace Coronavirus with Flu because I didn't get a flu shot they will not reimburse me. (Not saying that's true. It's just a wild example, since it's in the insurance companies best interest to collect premiums and not pay out LOL).

Edited by sk8erguy1978
add stuff, clarify, add link

8 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

My comment was more against an insurance company trying to get out of coverage, could be for anything, replace Coronavirus with Flu because I didn't get a flu shot they will not reimburse me. (Not saying that's true. It's just a wild example, since it's in the insurance companies best interest to collect premiums and not pay out LOL).

Well that's entirely true...if your doctor makes the claim that you can't travel for X reason, then X reason needs to be a condition that's not excluded in your insurance policy and it also can't be as a result of something that was pre-existing if you don't have pre-existing coverage under your policy.

Trust me, the insurance companies definitely don't make it easy to file for any kind of claim, and even things that you think are cut and dry might be a NOPE ?

All fun and games till it affects you or someone you know or love.......

Between thousands of peoples travels plans ruined......oh and thousands dying......Royal stock diving...markets diving......Olympics could be cancelled....and it hasn't even really started to affect North America......perhaps we shouldn't be so lighthearted about this.

It kills at a much higher rate than the flu(around 18x higher than the flu right now)..so simply saying the flu kills more people each year is a  very flippant way to try and minimalize this outbreak...

18 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

It kills at a much higher rate than the flu(around 18x higher than the flu right now)..so simply saying the flu kills more people each year is a  very flippant way to try and minimalize this outbreak...

Any new virus that isn't known and has no vaccine (yet) is going to produce short term numbers that exceed those of a well known and long term virus like influenza.  How about we compare the first year influenza fatality rate? 

There are some trying to sensationalize this incident and blow it out of proportion , some that are minimizing it and some that waiting to see how it plays out without letting FUD rule the day.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Any new virus that isn't known and has no vaccine (yet) is going to produce short term numbers that exceed those of a well known and long term virus like influenza. 

Yup......true point.

Still true that its killing at a much higher rate than the flu..and there will be no vaccine for prob a year.,...so to all those that die from it in the meantime...just know that its not as bad as the 1800's......

Nice......

I don't get why people are so nonchalant about people dying....blows my mind...

3 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I don't get why people are so nonchalant about people dying....blows my mind...

I understand.  It blows my mind that people are overreacting and blowing it out of proportion when the numbers suggest it's starting to settle down.  If that trend holds true then the influenza fatality rate will once again exceed CV.  It's too early to call it either way.  Pulling a hedgehog out of the ground to predict the outcome is premature at this point.  

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

some that waiting to see how it plays out without letting FUD rule the day.

Me. I work in NYC and take mass transit. I wouldn't say I'm not worried but I need more information before I get too concerned or else I'm going to be a nervous wreck being around so many people. It's how I cope and I know I'm not the only one.

1 minute ago, BB1 said:

Nonchalant is a silly comment.  So little is known. Figures are all over the place. Sensationalism is running rampant. If it was that terrible we would all be dead soon so you might as well stock up on food and stay home. You can be the lone survivor.  

Nice....

Nothing I stated is blown out of proportion or doomsday or implies I am going to be the only survivor while the world dies..

I have stated facts and am making totally rational comments and statements about people dying.....

Come on...be more mature

My concern is the unknown as far as international travel and specifically our April 12 TA cruise to Southampton. I would play it safe and cancel  but we are at the 75% cancellation mark. I also have air tickets, hotels, tours, etc that are non refundable or have hefty change fees. My insurance doesn’t pay for FEAR of coronovirus. I have decided to wait and see until April 1. Surely RCCL will know by then if the cruise is a go or will be canceled. 

I just really dont understand......I wish people cared about CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE the way they care about some virus.....its exponentially more likely to kill you. Yet, the same people canceling cruises out of fear are lining up at McDonalds for a sack of burgers, killing themselves happily.  

3 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

I just really dont understand......I wish people cared about CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE the way they care about some virus.....its exponentially more likely to kill you. Yet, the same people canceling cruises out of fear are lining up at McDonalds for a sack of burgers, killing themselves happily.  

That or diabetes, smoking, using the phone while driving, driving while intoxicated....the list can go on and on about things we can control.

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

Me. I work in NYC and take mass transit. I wouldn't say I'm not worried but I need more information before I get too concerned or else I'm going to be a nervous wreck being around so many people. It's how I cope and I know I'm not the only one.

I am in the same boat.  I don't want to jump the gun but I do want to be prepared.

Best we can do is to try and live a healthy lifestyle - which is hard to do for some. I can't tell you the amount of times I have seen people not wash their hands after using the restroom  or after sneezing or after changing the garbage or so on and so on. I had a student one time who sneezed straight up into the air and I unfortunately saw the plume of fluid just spreading everywhere.

Anyway - I think there should be a healthy level of "worry" about the Coronavirus, but there's not much we can do about it except to stay accurately informed and to practice good hygiene. 

On 2/26/2020 at 7:57 AM, emsff02 said:

Don’t worry about to corona virus. Regular flu has been much deadlier so far. Just practice good hygiene. Wash your hands often and you will be just fine.

Saying this is just plain misinformation at this point. The flu is not deadlier. What we know about COVID-19 suggests it's at least 10-20x deadlier than this year's flu.

8 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Saying this is just plain misinformation at this point. The flu is not deadlier. What we know about COVID-19 suggests it's at least 10-20x deadlier than this year's flu.

....and still not nearly as deadly as MANY, MANY other things that arent mentioned ONE time on this board. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

...when the numbers suggest it's starting to settle down.

Europe and the American West Coast would like a word. I understand wanting to keep travel plans in tact, I really do. We will be beyond disappointed if we get into a situation where we have to cancel our plans for later this summer... especially since this was meant to be the debut of us as a family (our last vacation was our honeymoon, 4 years ago. Now there are literally twice as many of us! ?). However, acting like this is business as usual (or even comparable to SARS when it took less than a month to blow through the SARS threshold) is irrational all on its own. 

We should all be practicing extra caution, and unfortunately that means avoiding large gatherings... How compatible is guidance like that with cruising?

@SteveinSC Also what about the suicides, death by domestic violence, hate crimes etc. Not to be a Debbie downer but people are always flippant about death until it could directly affect them...like in the case of the beer virus.

However fearmongering does no good. Remember when people wouldn't even shake hands with a person with HIV? Not enough is known about the beer virus and mass hysteria does far more harm than good. There have been instances in history of people killing themselves and their family to avoid horrible fates. The best thing we all can do is to exercise caution and live our best lives.

Here's my take on this.  Cruising is a life perk, not a necessity.  So I won't be booking any new cruises until this coronavirus situation is resolved or somehow managed.

That being said, I haven't canceled any of the bookings found in the "Upcoming Cruises" in my signature.  To all those booked for the Odyssey Inaugural, see you in November.

9 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@SteveinSC Also what about the suicides, death by domestic violence, hate crimes etc. Not to be a Debbie downer but people are always flippant about death until it could directly affect them...like in the case of the beer virus.

Perhaps its a personality thing. I really dont worry about...well...much of anything. My wife would tell you its annoying as hell. ?

I am what some would call a "health nut" to an extent (i eat very consciously, except on cruises, and workout everyday, even on cruises)...but I dont do these things out of worry. I just do them because its smart and healthy. I just view things from the standpoint of "Can I control it, to a point" and "what do statistics tell me the odds of it happening are". I have faith that things will happen as theyre meant to....and "live our best lives".   

1 hour ago, LizzyBee23 said:

We should all be practicing extra caution, and unfortunately that means avoiding large gatherings... How compatible is guidance like that with cruising?

Where is this guidance coming from?  In America that is not the guidance being offered by any health organization including our CDC.  

At the moment the CDC guidance is to avoid cruises to or within Asia.  There is no guidance to avoid mass gatherings.  There is no guidance to avoid travel.