Worried about coronavirus

Anastasia

Hi all,

My family of 5 (consisting of all adults ranging from 30-77) have been booked on this upcoming vision of the seas cruises from Puerto Rico. With this whole corona virus fiasco and how fast it’s accelerating, I called RC and they didn’t seem to be concerned. I’m just concerned just because we have an elderly person in our group. What are you all planning to do?

I’m very concerned esp after reading this: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/jamaica-refuses-accept-cruise-ship-21575235?fbclid=IwAR3dACaQti14ydRYNYwhdmkXBw7o4VKI2J-8hWXgcZSFx4cDmu0J5bqpFuE

Im going to hope that my Royal Up bid gets accepted because people are irrational enough to cancel, and/or not go on their cruises. I will also worry more (which is to say hardly at all) about tripping over my kids toys and breaking my ankle, or getting in a car accident on the way to the port, or any other thing that is WAY more likely to happen. I will also wash my hands, and use hand sanitizer, as I ALWAYS do because people are disgusting, by nature.  

Something to keep in mind is The Mirror is a British tabloid newspaper, so sensationalizing news is their forté

Given your elderly person, this is a better question for their doctor.

Based on what we know right now, the risk of a cruise from Puerto Rico and going to the Caribbean is low in terms of the coronavirus.

What i am mostly worried about is the new policy in effect that they will deny boarding to people that are demonstring flu like symptoms??

How ridiculous is that? i mean if i catch a cold that means no cruise for me ? i understand that they want to take precaution but this is becoming ridiculous. how about if i get a cold on the ship or the flu they will throw me out?     also read about these islands that are refusing ships docking because some had a flu. The big problem about this is the paranoia and at this point if they will start acting like that then just cancel cruises completly. You cannot accept travelers having an experience like that. 

we are going on cruise april 19th out of puerto rico with our kids and it will be our first cruise. This story has brought negativity to it and i am very upset about it. 

11 minutes ago, Anastasia said:

Exactly! This will be our second cruise ever and instead of looking forward to it, it’s filled with paranoia. 

It's never too late to book travel insurance! While fear wouldn't be a covered reason, if someone does get ill, or a doctor says the elderly family member cannot travel, hopefully you can get some costs back.

Speaking from my experience, once that one outspoken family member gets filled with paranoia (usually from too much news TV) it becomes stressful for all. You don't want to dismiss their concerns, but you also want to tell them to shut the *bleep* up. ?

Enjoy the cruise & welcome to the forums!

I have said this in other threads and I'll say it again here.  I am NOT worried about the coronavirus, per se.  I am more worried about the protocols and procedures the cruise lines and government agencies have been putting in place since this situation has started.

I agree that this matter has been exaggerated and sensationalized but we cannot deny that it has impacted the cruise industry.  For those of you who say not to worry, what would you have said to the passengers of the Costa Smeralda, the Diamond Princess, the Westerdam, the Meraviglia, and the other cruise ships being added to the list almost every week?

I know some of us are of the "abundance of caution" group while others are the "YOLOers".  I am of the former.  I'd suggest that, given the current conditions, if you can cancel your cruise, cancel it.  If the "ship has sailed" on your cancellation options, then just hope and pray that your luck is better than those of the aforementioned ships' passengers.

Another thought, especially if one of the ports you're visiting is on the watchlist:  Is your idea of a cruise vacation and excursion being screened heavily at those ports?  Would you be okay being surrounded by people in masks while exploring those great exotic destinations?  One thing I enjoy in visiting places is seeing the local culture and its people.  Ghost ports and ghost towns are not that interesting.

1 hour ago, gi333 said:

What i am mostly worried about is the new policy in effect that they will deny boarding to people that are demonstring flu like symptoms??

How ridiculous is that? i mean if i catch a cold that means no cruise for me ? i understand that they want to take precaution but this is becoming ridiculous. how about if i get a cold on the ship or the flu they will throw me out?     also read about these islands that are refusing ships docking because some had a flu. The big problem about this is the paranoia and at this point if they will start acting like that then just cancel cruises completly. You cannot accept travelers having an experience like that. 

we are going on cruise april 19th out of puerto rico with our kids and it will be our first cruise. This story has brought negativity to it and i am very upset about it. 

If you are referring to the MSC ship denied docking at Ocho Rios; it wasn’t due to the flu; it was due to the fact that the ilL crew member had been to a quarantined country within the incubation period. 

1 hour ago, gi333 said:

This is not a new policy, I have been cruising for over 20 years, if you show up with flu symptoms you would always be denied boarding (Corona Virus scare or not)

6 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

If you are referring to the MSC ship denied docking at Ocho Rios; it wasn’t due to the flu; it was due to the fact that the ilL crew member had been to a quarantined country within the incubation period. 

Whether it was due to the flu or not, they were still denied docking.  That is what I hate happening to me if I were sailing on that ship.

I think it is important to have a healthy amount of fear. However, when that fear takes over your life and affects day-to-day activities I think a person should take a step back and assess. We don't know everything about the beer virus which is why the hyperactive news reporting has been able to spread unwarranted fear. I do think we should stop comparing it to the flu, but remain diligent in our hand washing. Also ANYTHING could happen at any moment for any reason.....dictator uprising, cannibalism, war etc that may stop a port from allowing a ship to dock.

Kitty GIF

11 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

cannibalism

Brain:  "you must resist the urge to joke about the dining package.....these people dont know your dark humor......"

me: "aww, itll be fine! these people get it......"

Brain: "remember last time...."

me: "I didnt like that job anyway...."

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@SteveinSC @FManke As a chubster this is always my go-to for the worst scenario. I once had to do a survival project at work and of course cannibalism was first on the list....my coworkers looked at me funny the rest of the week.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by Nick Kroll

Hey.....Ive seen the movie ALIVE....its not OUR fault history repeats itself, and were prepared! 

Bucket lister coming up first of June.....Rome then Greek Isles on Explorer. I am watching this and trying not to overreact but it's hard to do with the news bombarding us with details 24-7. The "outbreak" in northern Italy is concerning but will it be a deal breaker?? Time will tell....not the media.

1 minute ago, rtread said:

Bucket lister coming up first of June.....Rome then Greek Isles on Explorer. I am watching this and trying not to overreact but it's hard to do with the news bombarding us with details 24-7. The "outbreak" in northern Italy is concerning but will it be a deal breaker?? Time will tell....not the media.

Right there with you. Sailing out of Venice in Oct.

Good luck and happy cruising!

2 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Speaking from my experience, once that one outspoken family member gets filled with paranoia (usually from too much news TV) it becomes stressful for all. You don't want to dismiss their concerns, but you also want to tell them to shut the *bleep* up. ?

Enjoy the cruise & welcome to the forums!

Let them know show and then you get the double points!!

3 hours ago, emsff02 said:

Don’t worry about to corona virus. Regular flu has been much deadlier so far. Just practice good hygiene. Wash your hands often and you will be just fine.

Yes and no.  The regular flu has been deadlier because more people have caught it, the mortality rate for corona is looking to be significantly higher though so far.  Practicing good hygiene is always a good idea, but corona is spread largely by person to person contact, particularly via respiratory droplets (coughing / sneezing), washing your hands often has little impact on that (but should be done for a multitude of other reasons).

Overall, it's not something I'd spend a lot of time worrying about, any more than I'd spend time worrying about getting hit by a car on my way to grab coffee.  Take appropriate precautions, same as you would with the cold, flu, noro, etc.

7 minutes ago, joshgates said:

Yes and no.  The regular flu has been deadlier because more people have caught it, the mortality rate for corona is looking to be significantly higher though so far.  Practicing good hygiene is always a good idea, but corona is spread largely by person to person contact, particularly via respiratory droplets (coughing / sneezing), washing your hands often has little impact on that (but should be done for a multitude of other reasons).

Overall, it's not something I'd spend a lot of time worrying about, any more than I'd spend time worrying about getting hit by a car on my way to grab coffee.  Take appropriate precautions, same as you would with the cold, flu, noro, etc.

My question is, why expose ourselves to greater risks by going on a plane to get to the port and going on a cruise.  I would not let this coronavirus issue keep me from doing what I do on a day to day basis.  I will still go on planes, if needed, but I would definitely skip a cruise or two.  Cruises are life's perks, not necessities.  Now after the experts figure out this virus and find ways to handle it, even to cure it, oh I would go YOLO and cruise until I become Pinnacle!   

3 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

It's never too late to book travel insurance! While fear wouldn't be a covered reason, if someone does get ill, or a doctor says the elderly family member cannot travel, hopefully you can get some costs back.

This is not necessarily so! AIG says Please also note that Coronavirus became a known risk on January 24, 2020 and, as such, any claim arising from Coronavirus may not be covered if the policy was purchased or the trip was arranged on or after January 24, 2020. The following are the questions we are receiving most frequently in our Service Center:

Also fear of contracting the coronavirus is not eligible for reimbursement.

Does anyone know what the RCCL insurance policy states about this? We are leaving April 12 to London and would lose 75%. We also have nonrefundable airline tickets from London as well as nonrefundable hotel in London-theater tickets in London and other tour tickets. So canceling would be quite the expense.

1 minute ago, PG Cruiser said:

My question is, why expose ourselves to greater risks by going on a plane to get to the port and going on a cruise.  I would not let this coronavirus issue keep me from doing what I do on a day to day basis.  I will still go on planes, if needed, but I would definitely skip a cruise or two.  Cruises are life's perks, not necessities.  Now after the experts figure out this virus and find ways to handle it, even to cure it, oh I would go YOLO and cruise until I become Pinnacle!   

That question can be asked about anything though.  "Why expose ourselves to greater of a car crash by driving?"  Right now vaccine estimates are at 18 months for development / testing and I wouldn't expect a cure to be forthcoming anytime soon if ever. 

It's fully up to each individual what their level of acceptable risk is.  I certainly wouldn't be planning a trip to Asia right now, but a flight and cruise out of North America I have no issues with.  That could change depending on how the next several months before my next one go through.  The news often focuses on what sells though, which unfortunately is largely fear and that can drastically distort reality at times.

24 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

any claim arising from Coronavirus may not be covered if the policy was purchased or the trip was arranged on or after January 24, 2020.

Thank You for this... It does say "may not" so, maybe if you can prove you caught it after you got the policy you'll get lucky.

I have not purchased travel insurance yet and I also didn't catch Coronavirus yet. If I purchase today for my September & December cruises and they didn't cover me catching Coronavirus I'd be raising hell.

24 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

Also fear of contracting the coronavirus is not eligible for reimbursement.

This should just be assumed LOL.