Dining package flexibility: use of $35 credit?

FroggyFlo

Hi,

I'm considering a 3 night dining package. As I understood, I'm allowed a credit for food in any restaurant up to $35. If I want to try any of my favourite food (seafood, upscale restaurant), I will be charged for the difference.

So be it. My question is the following: I'm not a strong eater, I'm happier with a meal with one delicious main dish rather than a starter, a main course and a dessert, which might be too much for me. Does the dining package allow me such flexibility (ie ordering a $35 main course instead of a 3 course menu)? Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, FroggyFlo said:

Hi,

I'm considering a 3 night dining package. As I understood, I'm allowed a credit for food in any restaurant up to $35. If I want to try any of my favourite food (seafood, upscale restaurant), I will be charged for the difference.

So be it. My question is the following: I'm not a strong eater, I'm happier with a meal with one delicious main dish rather than a starter, a main course and a dessert, which might be too much for me. Does the dining package allow me such flexibility (ie ordering a $35 main course instead of a 3 course menu)? Thanks for your help.

The $35 is only for Ala carte restaurants like Izumi... Chops, Jamie's, 150 Central Park all those places are included in the dining package and you can have as many apps, sides and deserts as you want but only one entree.. So the $35 really only applies to Izumi sushi or play makers

After reading further, I understand there is a specific menu for guests with a dining package to choose from with no extra charge. This menu is supposed to be worth more than the price paid for the package. Because if I add $35x3=$105, it is less expensive than the $115  RCCL asks for their 3 night package… Do I understand right?

I also suppose that the $35 credit may be used if you choose a "à la carte" dish, ie if you do not like the said specific DP menu? 

Are the DP menus satisfactory? How many options can you choose from? Are they true to the restaurant theme? Are they as good as "à la carte" dishes?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

3 hours ago, FroggyFlo said:

Are the DP menus satisfactory? How many options can you choose from? Are they true to the restaurant theme? Are they as good as "à la carte" dishes?

I'm not sure where you're getting the "a la carte" dishes idea from.  Most of the specialty dining restaurants have a single cover charge that will cover you ordering one entree and then as many apps, sides, desserts as you want.   You won't even see prices on the menu.

Chops does have a seafood tower which is an extra charge that would not be covered. 

Izumi Hibachi charges an additional $10 if you want to use one of your dining credits to dine there.  You can only get the hibachi meal when using the dining credit.  If you order any of the extra items (sushi, apps) you will pay the menu charge price on top of that $10.

Izumi sushi, should you decide to use your credit there, you can order up to $35 worth of menu priced food with your credit.

5 hours ago, FroggyFlo said:

After reading further, I understand there is a specific menu for guests with a dining package to choose from with no extra charge. This menu is supposed to be worth more than the price paid for the package. Because if I add $35x3=$105, it is less expensive than the $115  RCCL asks for their 3 night package… Do I understand right?

I also suppose that the $35 credit may be used if you choose a "à la carte" dish, ie if you do not like the said specific DP menu? 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think you are confused a bit about specialty dining.. There is no dining package menu.. The menu for Chops is the menu from chops and you can order anything on it except the seafood towers and no extra charge.. Chops grill runs about $50 a person.. Most specialty dining is about $50 a person.. So basically if you bought each meal It would cost $150.. So if the package is $115 your saving about $35... The only restaurant like I said that's ala carte is Izumi.. That is the only place you have a $35 limit... Everywhere else you can order multiple apps, 1 entree, multiple side dishes and multiple deserts. I hope this helps.. 

Ok, this is much clearer now...

I was confused because of the description of the package on the official website: "For restaurants with a la carte pricing, package includes a $35 credit towards the food portion of your bill 

I think we will give the 3 night dining package a try!

1 hour ago, FroggyFlo said:

Last question: is it compulsory to eat your first meal on the 3 night package on the 1rst or 2nd night? My group gives us free time on days 3, 6 and 7, so that I would rather reserve my 3 meals on these days...

The rules definitely require you to initialize your UDP on nights 1 or 2 BUT I have read and heard that they are flexible about this.  Once on board you should be able to have them switch things around. ...but, as Matt Says, be prepared for “no” as that is the official answer.

One more question on this topic...We bought the three night dining package plus have a voucher for a fourth from our TA. I went in to reserve (we are NCL cruisers, this is our first on RCCL) another night or two and it only offers reservations to be made by paying. What about those that purchased a package? How can I pre-reserve (other than the first/second night they set up and I moved)?

2 hours ago, DLXLDY said:

How can I pre-reserve (other than the first/second night they set up and I moved)?

You cannot.  All dining pkg reservations must be made on board (except for that first one).  The price you pay for getting a discount on your specialty dining is that you cannot make your reservations ahead of time.  ...but don’t be concerned. Take care of making the reservations as soon as you board and you will get the locations and times you want.

On 2/28/2020 at 11:34 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

All dining pkg reservations must be made on board (except for that first one).

Have you ever had experience changing the first night's reservation time? I finally pulled the trigger on the UDP for my Oasis cruise but the only time slot available to pick was 9pm. woof! We usually eat between 5-6 at home so hoping when I get on board we can mess with their pre-assigned reservation. 

While I'm asking! Have you ever had experience changing the first night's reservation place? Or do you have to go with whatever they've chosen? 

19 minutes ago, DDaley said:

Have you ever had experience changing the first night's reservation time? I finally pulled the trigger on the UDP for my Oasis cruise but the only time slot available to pick was 9pm. woof! We usually eat between 5-6 at home so hoping when I get on board we can mess with their pre-assigned reservation. 

While I'm asking! Have you ever had experience changing the first night's reservation place? Or do you have to go with whatever they've chosen? 

Absolutely.  You should have no problem changing your dining time in the first night.

4 hours ago, DDaley said:

Don't worry at all.. As soon as you get on the ship make all your reservations and you should get the times you want. 

• 2 months later...

I am hoping to be on Oasis of the Seas on October and I am wondering about the $35 credit for sushi at Izumi. Is the $35 credit per person, per day? If I want sushi every day of the trip, would it be $35 credit each day? I assume it would be the same thing with Portside BBQ and Playmakers. TIA

Just now, Busylizzy108 said:

I am hoping to be on Oasis of the Seas on October and I am wondering about the $35 credit for sushi at Izumi. Is the $35 credit per person, per day? If I want sushi every day of the trip, would it be $35 credit each day? I assume it would be the same thing with Portside BBQ and Playmakers. TIA

$35 credit per person per VISIT; Playmakers and Portside are $20 credits per visit.