Another Cruise Ship Denied Entry to Port

My friend just posted that they were denied entry in Cozumel. The Mexican government let them dock and health officials boarded to run tests on the crew member and a passenger with flu symptoms. No official word on the test results, but he said they were not allowed off the ship. They were told today they are getting a 100% refund. This is a 15 day cruise, btw. Who knows if they we will able to get off anywhere at this point with the exception of the private island stop. They still have 2 more ports. 

we are currently on Jewel in the Persian Gulf.  originally had 2 stops in Oman (Khasab / Muscat) on days 3 and 4.  Royal elected to cancel the Oman stops on their own after we had gotten underway.  

Royal's explanation is that Oman has open borders with Iran (trade/immigration etc) which is something I hadn't even considered.  As Iran has a huge spike in cases & their public health sector ain't so hot right now...this was probably a good decision.  They subbed 1 day in Doha Qatar in lieu of the 2 Omani ports, which we did yesterday.  so we lost a port and gained a sea day.  

stated compensation was an onboard credit in the amount of 1 day of the equivalent cruise fare.  if the credit is more than our seapass account balance, the remaining will be refunded to our credit card.  I didnt ask about port taxes refund too, but will check today.  I'd assume 2 ports in Oman cost more than 1 day in port in Doha, but I don't really know what the breakdown is.

35 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Someone coughed on my Symphony Cruise.  Luckily they still let us dock at St. Maarten and Puerto Rico.  

All fun and games till they actually don't let ships dock as a result of that and families miss out on long planned excursions for them and their kids...or the reasons why ppl booked that particular cruise was for those specific stops.....

41 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

All fun and games till they actually don't let ships dock as a result of that and families miss out on long planned excursions for them and their kids...or the reasons why ppl booked that particular cruise was for those specific stops.....

I agree. And it happens due to overreaction as opposed to actual threat. 

35 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I agree. And it happens due to overreaction as opposed to actual threat. 

Right....all because of the Coronavirus that  is "no big deal".

Whether the effects of this are positive(as some people here seem to imply in their posts) or negative...the fact remains it is having a huge impact on many facets of life and should be taken more serious than ppl seem to be taking.....IMHO.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Right....all because of the Coronavirus that  is "no big deal".

Whether the effects of this are positive(as some people here seem to imply in their posts) or negative...the fact remains it is having a huge impact on many facets of life and should be taken more serious than ppl seem to be taking.....IMHO.

As a first responder I'm dealing with life and death, life-altering issues all shift long. I'm putting this into the perspective that I feel it warrants.