Another Cruise Ship Denied Entry to Port

8 hours ago, Lovestotravel said:

Ports are being very careful it seems, even in the Caribbean.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/travel/cruise-ship-corona.html

WOW !!  Seems as this is going to be an ongoing practice and the new norm in the Caribbean and eventually everywhere if even one person coughs and/or sneezes. 

Could you imagine Cozumel when six cruise ships are in port and someone coming down with symptoms after leaving port?  Or someone testing positive  to COVID-19 a week after visiting the island. That would be a mess. Oh yea, I will be in Cozumel 13th of March with six ships that day so it is something I have thought about but not worry about it. 

What are the chances that among 4500plus People one person has the flu?  this has been my worry all along  people are way overreacting and the panic will be worse than the disease.  I wonder what the cruise protocols will be in a situation like this.  Do places refuse docking when there are noro virus cases.  Will they return to Miami, stay out at sea for the duration?  Im willing to bet now that Cozumel will not allow them to dock either.  

31 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

This will cripple the cruise industry at least temporarily if this becomes the norm....one crew member not feeling well equals being blocked from docking...there will be a lot of cruises to nowhere half empty.

That is my concern.  So many viruses cause fever.  

40 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

@Lovestotravel What port was it? I hate the NYT, so I won't click on the link.?

LOL!  "

"The MSC Meraviglia from MSC Cruises arrived in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, from Miami on Tuesday morning. After the ship’s command reported one case of influenza onboard, Jamaican authorities, concerned that the man might have the coronavirus, said no one could disembark. The ship left Ocho Rios for its next port of call, Georgetown, Cayman Islands, after waiting to be cleared for nearly four hours.

The ship was expected to dock in Georgetown on Wednesday morning, but the Caymanian Ministry of Health and Public Health Department said on Tuesday night that it could not do so".

1 hour ago, Lovestotravel said:

LOL!  "

"The MSC Meraviglia from MSC Cruises arrived in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, from Miami on Tuesday morning. After the ship’s command reported one case of influenza onboard, Jamaican authorities, concerned that the man might have the coronavirus, said no one could disembark. The ship left Ocho Rios for its next port of call, Georgetown, Cayman Islands, after waiting to be cleared for nearly four hours.

The ship was expected to dock in Georgetown on Wednesday morning, but the Caymanian Ministry of Health and Public Health Department said on Tuesday night that it could not do so".

I wonder if the Bahamas will let her dock at Ocean Cay?

1 hour ago, Lovestotravel said:

Possibly because there is no dock in Georgetown?   (It's a tender port)  ???

6 hours ago, monctonguy said:

This will cripple the cruise industry at least temporarily if this becomes the norm....one crew member not feeling well equals being blocked from docking...there will be a lot of cruises to nowhere half empty.

Cheap fares? sign me up! I'm not one to buy into the media fear mongering

17 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

All fun and games till your on a cheap half empty cruise and get quarantined for a cpl weeks in ur cabin, and watch people die around you....then you will really appreciate that cheap fare...:35_thinking:

16 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

I've been watching my 3 booked cruises. No price drops, yet.

2 of them are too far yet to be affected...and the other one is too close..the 90 day window passed prior to this outbreak so I am guessing most cabins were already sold for the most part...so if people choose not to go it wont lower the few cabins left I wouldn't think

Many more than normal have reported their cruise prices dropping multiple times for cruises it the next few months though....mine dropped at least 3x from its high around the 90 day window.....

Have a friend on this ship. On Wednesday after they were denied entry in Grand Cayman, they were given $200 credit per stateroom. Yesterday, it was announced they would receive 30% back from this sailing and 20% off their next sailing. He didn't say if they were allowed off the ship in Cozumel or not. He did say they were all screened during embarkation for fever of 100 or more. 

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

Better on a ship then locked in your home on land watching the same.  

Not if its anything like the only example of a cruise ship quarantined so far...no  way in heck you can reasonably argue it would be better to be on a ship in a foreign country port, not able to leave your 160sqft cabin with no window for 2 weeks....really?

Family not nearby......worried about your job or pets or kids at home......while people die around you from what your locked in your room for....no thanks.

3 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Not if its anything like the only example of a cruise ship quarantined so far...no  way in heck you can reasonably argue it would be better to be on a ship in a foreign country port, not able to leave your 160sqft cabin with no window for 2 weeks....really?

Family not nearby......worried about your job or pets or kids at home......while people die around you from what your locked in your room for....no thanks

If everyone around me is dying as you offer then I don't want to be anywhere near that.  Grocery stores closed, travel bans so you can't leave your house or go to work or drive over to your family. 

When the world is ending in your scenario I'll gladly be on a cruise ship away from it all.  

9 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

Have a friend on this ship. On Wednesday after they were denied entry in Grand Cayman, they were given $200 credit per stateroom. Yesterday, it was announced they would receive 30% back from this sailing and 20% off their next sailing. He didn't say if they were allowed off the ship in Cozumel or not. He did say they were all screened during embarkation for fever of 100 or more. 

Are they also being refunded the port taxes and fees for the ports not visited?

3 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

that's not my scenario or some world ending scenario......that's what happened to real people on a real cruise ship....like a couple weeks ago.....???!

No one died on any ship.  That's hyperbole. 

To date 4 passengers who were once on DP succumbed after they left the ship.  No one watched them die on the ship as you state.  Did people die in their homes in China in the early days of this?  Yes.  All terribly unfortunate watching loved one die in their homes in China for those families but you are creating ship news that never happened.  

18 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Have fun on your cruise to nowhere. The point is that people are reacting (and I believe its within the realm of rational responses), and ships aren't making it to port. I suppose if you're okay with 7 days at sea, cruising could still be for you.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

All fun and games till your on a cheap half empty cruise and get quarantined for a cpl weeks in ur cabin, and watch people die around you....then you will really appreciate that cheap fare...:35_thinking:

The mortality rate of people who die from the Corona virus is less than 1%. And that is if you have pre-existing conditions such as cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory disease, or diabetes. It is less than .5% if no pre-existing condition.

Painting a picture of an apocalyptic scene of people dying all over the ship is a little far fetched.

Even for those that are unfortunate enough to catch it, symptons are coughing, sneezing, and fever. Sounds kinda like the flu millions of people get every year.

The deaths are from folks over the age of 80. These same folks would succumb to the "common" flu as well. Unfortunate but nothing to panic over.

Nope....29 yr  old doctor died from it......that's just one example out of almost 3000 that died....so not all old and over 80....so don't try and use a sweeping generalization to justify your standoffish position on this issue.

I didn't say people dying ALL OVER THE SHIP.

The death rate is 18x the flu so far is a fact.....

Viruses are spread easily and quickly in confined spaces like a ship..fact

2 hours ago, BB1 said:

It's strange how everyone's "facts" are so different. 

are you insinuating that my statement is a lie?..please don't be like that.......call me a liar to my face, but don't try to be smartass about it.

I am using stats from the WHO...if you choose not to believe them..thats up to you...but that's a medical fact......

13 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

are you insinuating that my statement is a lie?..please don't be like that.......call me a liar to my face, but don't try to be smartass about it.

I am using stats from the WHO...if you choose not to believe them..thats up to you...but that's a medical fact......

I thought the comment was more blanket than direct ...there have been a lot of numbers spewed here, there and everywhere. My own sister tried to tell me TODAY that 200 confirmed cases were in the U.S. till I hit her with the CDC website link. Let's all just caaaaaaaalm down and put the dukes down. 

happy feel good GIF

4 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Have fun on your cruise to nowhere. The point is that people are reacting (and I believe its within the realm of rational responses), and ships aren't making it to port. I suppose if you're okay with 7 days at sea, cruising could still be for you.

I'd sign up for that cruise! Sea days are great and there's no added cost for port fees and taxes if you're at sea.

7 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Let me rephrase: we're parents of young children. We're not particularly young, which I feel at a physical level most mornings, haha.

Ditto. I thought we were being responsible by waiting to have kids.....turns out being responsible isnt as important as being physically able. 

This is better than a cruise to No Where at least you can get off the ship.

If the islands start closing their ports Royal will have to come out with New 7 night cruises from Miami:

Coco Cay, Sea-day, Labadee, Seaday, Coco Cay, Seaday, Miami.  Then we will see 3 or more ships at Coca Cay per day, Royal will have to expand the island.

1 hour ago, KenCP said:

Then we will see 3 or more ships at Coca Cay per day, Royal will have to expand the island.

Not going to lie, when I saw they cancelled the cruises in Asia, and suspect they'll end up doing the same to the Mediterranean I wondered if they'd end up loading up Coco Cay to the gills. Even if we keep the August cruise, it might make for an interesting double Perfect Day!

1 hour ago, KenCP said:

This is better than a cruise to No Where at least you can get off the ship.

If the islands start closing their ports Royal will have to come out with New 7 night cruises from Miami:

Coco Cay, Sea-day, Labadee, Seaday, Coco Cay, Seaday, Miami.  Then we will see 3 or more ships at Coca Cay per day, Royal will have to expand the island.

Royal Caribbean has purchased land on the western end of Paradise Island in The Bahamas. They have started their plan LOL.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/02/27/royal-caribbean-purchases-land-western-side-of-paradise-island-nassau-bahamas