First Timer Questions!!

Hi everyone! First time cruiser here (unless you count a cruise when I was 14 yrs old having everything booked by family). Bf and I are going on Oasis in May 2020 to port Canaveral, coco cay and Nassau. I have a few questions that I’m hoping can be answered. Thanks in advance!

a. How are the clubs on royal Caribbean ships? (Or oasis specifically) Do they get pretty packed? How late are they open and is the music good? I have nyc clubs to compare it to in my mind

b. At the clubs if we wanted tequila shots with the unlimited drinking package, how often could we get them or is there a specific time period we’d have to wait between each shot?

c. Why is it impossible to find a drink menu for oasis anywhere? I want to make sure drinks I would want are included in the unlimited package. For example how much is a frozen pina colada? (A drink I see myself having a lot of) margarita? mojito?

d. How does it work if we do not want to pay gratuity in advance? Our travel agent says on the last night of the trip they will put tip envelopes for cash in our room, is that how it actually works or is there another way to self pay gratuity?

e. How does making my time dining reservations go? As well as theater and aquatheater reservations?

f. For people who have been to the water park at coco cay and Atlantis, which is better?

g. Any first time cruiser advice that you think is absolutely necessary?

h. How are speciality restaurants on oasis? Interested in the bbq place and playmakers bar

thank you all!!

1 hour ago, carolsommers727 said:

a. How are the clubs on royal Caribbean ships? (Or oasis specifically) Do they get pretty packed? How late are they open and is the music good? I have nyc clubs to compare it to in my mind....Most are open pretty late, and it really depends on the club and music playing...like all clubs?

b. At the clubs if we wanted tequila shots with the unlimited drinking package, how often could we get them or is there a specific time period we’d have to wait between each shot? I don't think there is a time limit but you have to finish your drink before they give you a new one...unless the bartender likes you

c. Why is it impossible to find a drink menu for oasis anywhere? I want to make sure drinks I would want are included in the unlimited package. For example how much is a frozen pina colada? (A drink I see myself having a lot of) margarita? mojito? There may not be actual drink menus relative to Oasis as a whole but you can look at the different bar menus to gather a price range. Most of the drinks you listed will be available in the drink package.

d. How does it work if we do not want to pay gratuity in advance? Our travel agent says on the last night of the trip they will put tip envelopes for cash in our room, is that how it actually works or is there another way to self pay gratuity? So this is not 100% the truth, they will give you an envelope to put any extra tips you might want to disperse to various crew members. But the daily gratuity will be charged to your room with the final bill.

e. How does making my time dining reservations go? As well as theater and aquatheater reservations? You can make them on the app or cruise planner. I would check daily as sometimes things fill up quickly. With shows there is a standby line and with diner reservations, if you cannot get the time you want. You might be able to try on embarkment day.

f. For people who have been to the water park at coco cay and Atlantis, which is better? I did Cococay and it was fun, never been to Atlantis

g. Any first time cruiser advice that you think is absolutely necessary? Prebook as much as possible, I know you say you don't want to prepay gratuities but you don't want to ruin the high by having a big bill. Allow enough time for problems by coming in a day early. Get on the ship as soon as possible and have fun.

h. How are speciality restaurants on oasis? Interested in the bbq place and playmakers bar...Someone else will answer this and I won't be on her until March 2022?

thank you all!!

10 hours ago, carolsommers727 said:

a. How are the clubs on royal Caribbean ships? (Or oasis specifically) Do they get pretty packed? How late are they open and is the music good? I have nyc clubs to compare it to in my mind

They really aren't much like what you've experienced in NYC as far as clubs.  You have to consider that the range of ages on a cruise, so you'll be sharing the dance floor with 18 year olds up through 80 year olds.  It can be hopping at times but at other times it's rather subdued.  Make sure to catch the Silent Disco when it's offered because that's a fun experience to walk into.  You don't hear any music whatsoever but folks are singing along and dancing and wearing headphones.  The clubs will stay open until 1:30ish or so.  You need to pay attention because they do have the club nights at different venues.  Sometimes it will be held in Studio B (ice skating rink) and other times it will be in Blaze (comedy club).

b. At the clubs if we wanted tequila shots with the unlimited drinking package, how often could we get them or is there a specific time period we’d have to wait between each shot?

One shot per SeaPass card per order.  No time limit required between orders but you can't order with an unfinished drink in your hand.  You can totally order the shot and then give up your card again to order another round when they deliver the first one if you take the shot right away.  Really depends on how busy the bar is.  This goes for all venues where you can order drinks, not just the clubs.

Why is it impossible to find a drink menu for oasis anywhere? I want to make sure drinks I would want are included in the unlimited package. For example how much is a frozen pina colada? (A drink I see myself having a lot of) margarita? mojito?

The majority of the drinks are covered under the drink package, and I know for sure the ones you named will be.  They put the popular drinks right at about the $12 or $13 price point.  You can even call a better brand of rum or tequila for your drink and it will be covered.  I suggest asking for a Kraken Colada!  It's really when you venture into ordering wine where you'll find it to be priced outside of the package limits.

d. How does it work if we do not want to pay gratuity in advance? Our travel agent says on the last night of the trip they will put tip envelopes for cash in our room, is that how it actually works or is there another way to self pay gratuity?

If you didn't pay for gratuities in advance it will be charged daily to your onboard account.  If you want to use the tip envelopes to tip beyond the $14.50 per day service charge you are more than welcome to.

How does making my time dining reservations go? As well as theater and aquatheater reservations?

You should be able to go into your cruise planner now and make some reservations.  Otherwise download the app and once you connect to the ship's wifi on boarding day you can use the app to make reservations.

h. How are speciality restaurants on oasis? Interested in the bbq place and playmakers bar

The BBQ is pretty good for being cruise ship BBQ.  The portion sizes are HUGE and you get a lot of food for the price.  It's $7.99 for lunch and around $13.99/$14.99 for dinner which includes sides and dessert.  A single meal can easily feed 2 people there.

Playmakers is good bar food and it comes out hot and fresh.  It's very reasonably priced as a standalone eatery.    In particular I enjoyed the wings (they are lightly breaded), the buffalo crunch roll (think buffalo chicken in an egg roll), and the poke nachos (ahi tuna on wonton chips).  

g. Any first time cruiser advice that you think is absolutely necessary?

Just relax and enjoy your trip.  There's absolutely no wrong way to cruise!  Everyone has a different experience and gets different things.  You've picked a great ship to start with as there's so much to do and experience on Oasis!

11 hours ago, carolsommers727 said:

How are the clubs on royal Caribbean ships? (Or oasis specifically) Do they get pretty packed? How late are they open and is the music good? I have nyc clubs to compare it to in my mind

Compared to NYC, I'm sure the club scene is not very comparable. Depending on the crowd on the ship, it can get pretty packed (and loud) in there.  But I've always found it manageable. 

As I recall my clubbing days from college in NYC, I don't think the RC club scene is on the same level.

There's essentially one venue that turns into the late night club, and it's not bad, but not NYC level either.

At the clubs if we wanted tequila shots with the unlimited drinking package, how often could we get them or is there a specific time period we’d have to wait between each shot?

There is no publicized time between drinks. Some bartenders make you wait like 2 minutes, but I think you'll be fine.

Why is it impossible to find a drink menu for oasis anywhere? I want to make sure drinks I would want are included in the unlimited package. For example how much is a frozen pina colada? (A drink I see myself having a lot of) margarita? mojito?

Cocktails are almost always $13 before gratuity.  I'd expect the price for all 3 drinks you listed to be that.

That being said, nearly all drinks are included with the drink package. The exception is if you specify a very top shelf liquor, of which there are few that RC carries.

How does it work if we do not want to pay gratuity in advance? Our travel agent says on the last night of the trip they will put tip envelopes for cash in our room, is that how it actually works or is there another way to self pay gratuity?

Your agent is misinformed, as that last night envelope thing is a thing of the past.

If you do not pre-pay, every day your onboard account gets charged a daily fee per person. It's automatic and nothing extra for you to do.

How does making my time dining reservations go?

You can make reservations for My Time Dining either before the cruise on Royal Caribbean's site, or once you are on the ship. 

As well as theater and aquatheater reservations?

You can make them in advance via the Cruise Planner website

Any first time cruiser advice that you think is absolutely necessary?

Check out my First Timers' Guide to Oasis of the Seas