Where does your handle come from?

PRebecca

Some of you have really interesting and obscure screen names; I wonder what they mean, stand for, or where they come from. If you've been wishing someone would ask so you could share the cool connection or story, please do! I've made up what some of them mean or stand for on my own and would like to see where the really come from, if you care to share.

I think the term 'handle' may not be used properly in this context, nor is 'screen name' so feel free to correct me on what term I should be using!

Rebecca (my first name is Polly but haven't used it since elementary)

Mine is self-explanatory.  Tendencies toward excess...'nuff said.

I really responded to let you know, Rebecca, that I have a similar situation with my "real' name.  My name is Ramona...but I have never used that name.  I have been Raye since I was a child.  I was named for my father's brother (Raymond...called Ray...so Raye) and my father's mother (Mona).  BUT I wanted to say...I love the name Polly.  I laugh when I say that to you, b/c everyone ALWAYS says..."Oh, I just LOVE the name Ramona".  I usually execute an eyeroll and I expect you are doing the same, now.  

?

Short Story - Spelled out initials.

Long story - There is another Lisa is my close friend group and the first initials of our last names sound similar so I go by LC. On Facebook I do another variation on my name because I'd prefer not to be found easily. (There's a crazy story attached to why I semi-hide but you'd have to give me a few shots of Kraken first.)

Well my name is a combination of my initials, year born and the name of the first gift my husband ever gave me. I met him in the 2nd grade, we got married after I graduated high school, and he brought me a purple Care bear. My mother has bipolar disorder and I have never gotten a present before. I named him Purp because that was the best I could do. Purple became my favorite color, I have purple hair, and I had Purp almost 20 years until my house flooded. I try to use it wherever I can, my first name is Alicia but I go by Ali.

Let's see ...... mine is broken up into two parts ....

Coney ---- I live in a town called Lonaconing, MD (pronounced Loan-A-Cone-ing) ----- People in these parts just call it Coney for short

The second half -- Raven -- is in honor of the NFL team that should've gone to the Super Bowl this year

coneyraven

I'm as boring as they get over here. First initial, middle initial, last name. But on other forums you'll find me by the handle "Aralim" -- picked that up ages ago when I was on AOL and playing in a superheroic RPG; got the name from a class of angels I'd read about one time (as I recall, it translates roughly from Hebrew as "the burning ones"), and it fit the martial artist character I'd come up with.

Now, @twangster -- there's a handle I don't get. I've listened to his scopes and there isn't a hint of twang (southern or otherwise) in his voice at all. Maybe he plays a killer banjo? ?

Mine is my old AOL screename and email address since I was 13.. It stands for the name of everyone in my family.. A-Abby (my mom) G-Gary (my dad) S-Stephanie (which is myself) L-Laura ( my little sister) C- Chester (the name of our dog at the time who has since passed) and 5 is my favorite number but also was all of the initials listed.. For years my friends have made fun of me because they said no one has AOL email address anymore.. Well I still do but I have also recently made a gmail account but all my screenames for many websites since I was 13 have always been AGSLC5 so out of habit I keep it. 

On 2/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, JLMoran said:

Now, @twangster -- there's a handle I don't get. I've listened to his scopes and there isn't a hint of twang (southern or otherwise) in his voice at all. Maybe he plays a killer banjo? ?

Hey Joe! If you catch up with him on the Royal Caribbean Blog Insiders Facebook page it makes sense...  ?

Update: OK, I assumed wrong! I have no idea where that handle came from too! 

11 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

For years my friends have made fun of me because they said no one has AOL email address anymore.

Nothing wrong with AOL email. We still have ours, over 20 years now.

Another non-creative name here. Wife's and mine initials and our anniversary date,  Dec. 4.

OMG!  Late to the party but I love this thread!  Thanks for starting it!  So cool hearing where everyone got their handles from, and answers to many that I have been wondering, well not @JLMoran's or @WAAAYTOOO...those two are self explanatory lol.  And @JohnK6404, not sure what you are talking about, but I still have no clue where @twangster gets his handle from.  I must be working too hard and missed some posts and conversations. ?

Ok, mine not too creative either because I did not inherit the creativity gene.  I love to cruise, and I fell in love with cruising back in 2002 on our honeymoon.  That's all. ?

To not be left out...pretty obvious.  ? 

@Fuzzywuzzy I used to hang out on the CB roughly 40 years ago too!  My handle there was AngelFace.  Someone my first day gave it to me.  The first person I talked to asked me my handle, I told him I didn't have one yet.  He said I had the voice of an angel, so I probably had the face of one too.  So AngelFace I became!

@KathyC I love when people tell other they have the face of an angel....not realizing its an insult. Research suggest that looking at an angel causes blindness or bleeding from the eyes...also that quite a few hated humans. Now KathyC sound real purty....real purty

Also on another note how could some of you be on the CB 40 years ago...what type of genius babies existed back then?

Question Mark What GIF by moodman

It's been a fun read so far!

I've been using this name sk8erguy1978 and oppie328 around the web for years. I used to skateboard back in the 90's and was actually okay (at the time) I am also a male born in 1978. The 8 in the middle was me trying to be clever many years ago (8 = ate - although I do add the e back so? I was young LOL). The oppie328 is because in high school I was given the nickname Opie as many claimed I looked like Opie Cunningham. The 328 is my bday and the extra P is due to me trying to be slightly different (back in the late 90s) while embracing the nickname (I actually did like it).

19 hours ago, PRebecca said:

I for sure thought this had something to do with Disney world ?

13 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

....and here I thought your handle had something to with WDW !

LOL. Didn't even realize/see that until you both mentioned it. But nothing to do with the World's Happiest Place. 

But we are Floridians,  annual passholders for 3 years, and my wife has 6 different MagicBands to coordinate with her clothing for the day at the parks.?

On 2/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, JLMoran said:

19 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

but I still have no clue where @twangster gets his handle from

I'm going with this: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Twangster

On 2/25/2020 at 7:47 PM, AGSLC5 said:

For years my friends have made fun of me because they said no one has AOL email address anymore.. Well I still do but I have also recently made a gmail account

On 2/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, Ampurp85 said:

I still use my AOL account for almost everything and my Gmail account for nothing.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:25 AM, RWDW1204 said:

Nothing wrong with AOL email. We still have ours, over 20 years now.

I agree nothing wrong with using an AOL email for every day stuff but I wouldn't for job hunting. A lot of AOL emails are attached to whatever your screen name was (oppie328 is not a professional looking email), It can also show your age (I know shouldn't discriminate but employers do), and shows you're not embracing what's new/trending/etc.

I made my wife create a gmail account when she was switching careers, it lets her look that little bit more professional. 

Otherwise, I kinda miss the AOL days. My wife and I met on AOL back in 98 before it was cool to meet people online. We dated for a few months and I broke it off because I'm an idiot. She stayed in our friends circle and we started dating again in 2004 and the rest is history. Maybe that's why she keeps her AOL email around?