Newbie questions

Ohio_Momof3

Hi All.  I've been a lurker for awhile but now that my cruise is getting close I'm getting a little anxious.  This is our first cruise with RC. We have cruised once before with Disney when we only had one child - which was a fantastic experience.  Now we have added two more and are cruising this time with a family of 5 on Oasis in June.  My kids are 13, 4, and turning 2 while on our cruise in June.  We booked an oceanview room.  While booking the RC rep said there was only a certain room configuration that we could book for 5 ppl since we will be using a crib.  So apparently our room will have 2 pullman beds and a chair instead of a sleeper sofa, and we will use the pack and play for the little one.  

So question - has anyone had this type of room and could give me some advise?  I'm worried that my 13 y/o won't be comfortable in the pull out bed or that my 4 y/o is going to fall out of the bed - is there a good sized rail?  Will it be too tight in the room?  If we go back to our room to take a break during the day will we have enough room to sit and relax?  I would have loved to book two balcony rooms, but it was quite a bit more expensive.  Just looking for other experiences and maybe to put my mind at ease. 

The other question is I have is about drinks.  I don't think we are getting any packages because we really don't drink much and will be fine with coffee, water and tea.  Alcohol would be one or two a day.  My younger kids drink a lot of milk and juice - are these readily available throughout the day?  Or do I need to stock up at breakfast?  My teen is the only one that may drink soda, but not even daily.  Are the soda machines only if you have a package with a special cup? Would he have to get his soda in a restaurant if he wants to purchase a soda, or are there other cups that you can swipe your card or something and purchase at the machine?  I'm trying to plan if we may need some refreshment packages - what is the cost of the soda, milkshake, or smoothies?  I'm still thinking it would be cheaper to purchase as needed vs the package, but it's difficult when I don't know the prices.  I do like specialty coffees so thinking maybe about the coffee card - would hubby and I both be able to share that?

Thanks so much! 

Go on line to royal Caribbean.com and from drop down menu choose already booked. This will take you to a sign in page for the cruise planner. It will ask you your cruise ID/ confirmation number. Insert requested information and it will link your cruise to the cruise planner where you can find all these packages and their respective prices. There will be sales along the way sometimes. If you think it’s a good price, purchase and if it goes down you can cancel and purchase at lower price.

@Ohio_Momof3, Welcome to the blog, how exciting your first RCCL sailing. I am also a DCL transfer (today the platinum summer sailing opened up and out of habit I did look, and then left the site) straight back over here to RCCL. I was just like you, so apprehensive and full of questions but rest assured RCCL and this blog family will take good care of you. We have many future sailings booked with RCCL after our experience (HOTS) and may never go back to the mouse again. We felt our family of three, teenage daughter (13) derived much joy from this line. I can not answer to your specific room but we were very comfortable, RCCL staff takes care to make sure you have everything you need, I believe IF there is a comfort issue your stateroom host will make it right for you, they have so many families though, I just don't anticipate a problem & my daughter (very tall) slept really well and was quite comfortable on her pullman bed.

We are similar to you as we drink water, tea and not much soda. There is always lemonade & iced tea as well as water (not bottled) available. We purchased the refreshment package for the occasional soda (teenager) and bottled water, we drink a lot of bottled water and the special coffee once in a while, maybe just get this for your teenage son? You can get soda at the bars in addition to the special cup dispensers but you must have the refreshment package. Keep a close eye this package price reduces frequently, hint you won't pay $28.00 and if you see a reduces price you can easily cancel and get the better price. ALSO unlike the other line, keep an eye on the pricing you can reprice your sailing for a reduced amount, it is super easy!

Okay MEI shout out coming in 3,2,1.....I utilize MEI Sharla who I can't say enough about, if there is a price drop she let's me know ( [email protected]) You can do it yourself I believe by calling RCCL also but this way even if you miss a drop, she is on top of it. I have saved enough money from booked sailings to almost entirely pay for a 4 night in August 2020. 

So many others on here will jump in and give you more I am sure, we did order a frozen drink here and there but just paid a la cart for that. I promise you, you will be very happy you took the RCCL plunge, no question is stupid as my sailing mentor/godmother/friend @WAAAYTOOO, once told me. The more comfortable you feel the more you will enjoy the sailing, ask away and welcome again BUT be fore warned, you will LOVE IT!

42 minutes ago, Ohio_Momof3 said:

Hi All.  I've been a lurker for awhile but now that my cruise is getting close I'm getting a little anxious.  This is our first cruise with RC. We have cruised once before with Disney when we only had one child - which was a fantastic experience.  Now we have added two more and are cruising this time with a family of 5 on Oasis in June.  My kids are 13, 4, and turning 2 while on our cruise in June.  We booked an oceanview room.  While booking the RC rep said there was only a certain room configuration that we could book for 5 ppl since we will be using a crib.  So apparently our room will have 2 pullman beds and a chair instead of a sleeper sofa, and we will use the pack and play for the little one.  

So question - has anyone had this type of room and could give me some advise?  I'm worried that my 13 y/o won't be comfortable in the pull out bed or that my 4 y/o is going to fall out of the bed - is there a good sized rail?  Will it be too tight in the room?  If we go back to our room to take a break during the day will we have enough room to sit and relax?  I would have loved to book two balcony rooms, but it was quite a bit more expensive.  Just looking for other experiences and maybe to put my mind at ease. 

I am cruising with my wife, and two boys (8 and 4) and we are in one room. I looked at booking two rooms, larger rooms, etc. and it was an astronomical price difference. I can only share what ive learned in my research: 

There are rails that you can request. People on here, and even your room steward may tell you nobody under 6 or so should be on the top bunk. I say, you know your kids. I have zero fears with my 4 year old being on a bunk (he sleeps on a top bunk now). Heck, falling out of a top bunk in the middle of the night as a kid is a right of passage. I have slept in a pullman, as a full grown adult, and had no issue. So I cant imagine a 13 year old would. As far as enough room to relax.....depends on how you like to relax? Itll be cramped.  

1 hour ago, Ohio_Momof3 said:

Will it be too tight in the room?

First, welcome to the boards! Second, as a parent of two kids, I'd advise you to consider getting two connecting (smaller) rooms. Unlike on DCL, getting two rooms is not cost prohibitive and provides way more space for families.

I love my kids, but sleeping in the same room as them is terrible. Plus, sharing one bathroom is downright ludicrous. 

ludacris GIF

You may also find this blog post helpful: Royal Caribbean stateroom options for larger families

5 hours ago, Ohio_Momof3 said:

My younger kids drink a lot of milk and juice - are these readily available throughout the day?

You should be able to get milk any time of day.  They should have it readily available in the main dining room, Windjammer, Park Cafe, and Cafe Promenade.  If you don't see it, ask and they can get some for you, both chocolate and regular milk.  Juices are typically only available at breakfast but they have flavored waters and iced tea available at other times.

Are the soda machines only if you have a package with a special cup? Would he have to get his soda in a restaurant if he wants to purchase a soda, or are there other cups that you can swipe your card or something and purchase at the machine?

The CocaCola Freestyle machines will only work with the souvenir cup that comes with any of the drink packages.  When not using the drink machines you can order soda at any drink/eating venue and pay with your SeaPass card.  There isn't any way to have access to the Freestyle machines without a souvenir cup and you can only get a cup by purchasing a package.

what is the cost of the soda, milkshake, or smoothies

After the 18% gratuity you are looking to pay nearly $4 for a soda, $5.50 for a milkshake, $6 for a smoothie.  If you can catch a good price on the refreshment package that might be a nice treat for your teenager as he will have access to all the non-alcoholic drinks onboard including the frozen drinks, smoothies, and milkshakes.  Plus he will get the souvenir cup for the Freestyle machine.

I do like specialty coffees so thinking maybe about the coffee card - would hubby and I both be able to share that?

The coffee card is sharable.  It will allow you to get specialty coffee at Cafe Promenade and Park Cafe but it can't be used at the Starbucks kiosk.

You can bring Starbucks gift cards to use at the kiosk, though!

My husband and I don’t drink alcohol so always get the soda package.  The freestyle machine also has lemonade and Powerade, basically every Coke product and flavor imaginable.  If your son won’t be drinking a lot of soda, maybe he could share with his siblings. I’m not saying filling the cup and dumping into another container for each kid, that’s dishonest, but if he is only going to drink a cup or two of soda all day, I think it would be ok to also get a mug of lemonade or Powerade too.  My husband and I run and workout every day and in order to stay hydrated from that and being in the sun, we drink continuously all day long.  We also get a refill before heading to our stateroom for the night so I’m sure we drink more than most people.  Just a thought.

@Ohio_Momof3 Welcome! We had a similar situation when our kids were 18 & 15 and had 2 Pullman beds. The 15 yo stayed up top while the 18 yo stayed on bottom. There was plenty of room during the day. We didn't have a pack & play so I can't comment how much room that will take up. Try to keep everyone organized and clutter to a minimum. Have a great cruise!