St. Petersburg Russia

DunkelBierJay

We have a Baltic cruise planned for May 2021 which visits Stockholm, Talinn and St Petersburg. It sails from Copenhagen.

I lived in Russia for a while after college, and don't want to use the Royal excursion options. I want to do my own thing and connect with people I stayed in touch with over the years. Many. Years.

The ship docks from 7:00 am until midnight, so I want to take advantage of as much time there as I can. Single entry visas are $160 each. Hardly worth just a day in St Petersburg. Does anyone have experience signing up for a cruise line excursion and cutting away from it while in town?

I wont have any issues getting around town, so that's not an issue.

I think it would be difficult to sneak away. The excursions are all completed by Russian government approved tour guides and they all took head counts throughout the tours when I was there last summer. Also I imagine they would possibly get in trouble if someone snuck off under their supervision.  They are there to ensure people enter the country through non-Visa route after all.