Tipping the Porters.

It has been quite a of years, since my last Royal Caribbean Cruise, 2007 to be exact.

I don't remember what we tipped the porters that helped us with our bags last time. Can someone give me an idea, what I'm expected to tip the porters? I want to make sure to treat them right, and to have that amount ready.

Thank you, in advance.

Minimum of $5 total, but $1 to $2 per bag. I am a little more generous if we use them to disembark and they get us past all the lines and straight to customs. I am interested to see what other say as I am hoping I am not being cheap.

I usually tip 5 as well but will tip more if the porter seems very sociable. I appreciate someone with a positive attitude. Sometimes on embarkation day I'll tip a little more than 5, but 5 is my usual amount so nope, you are definitely not being cheap ;)

Oups ! I guess I will be the cheap guy here. 

I gave the porter at Port Everglade 3 $ for two pieces of luggage. But he actually didn't do much, the taxi driver got them out of the truck and put them right in front of the porter on the curb, so...but he seems ok with that. 

I hate to be political here, but it really depends on which port it is.  I am with the majority here and feel that $5 is probably enough.  I usually give a little more but I don't really think it's necessary.

....UNLESS you are going out of Bayonne.

That is the one and only port where I have had very BAD luck with the "porters".  Actually, the porters aren't the problem and (at least in Bayonne) the guys that meet you at your car to get your bags AREN'T porters.  They are longshoremen....and they are big time Union.

When we went on our Explorer repositioning out of Bayonne I gave [the guy who appeared to be "the boss"] $20.  He seemed to be collecting the money....for whatever that's worth.  When we got onboard and our bags were delivered, 2 were missing.  We had to go to GS to try and find them and sure enough, they were in the "lost and found" along with MANY other bags.  There were NO tags on either bag...and we have metal tags with a metal attachment so they HAD to have been cut off. 

I was extremely mad that this happened.  It would have been different if we hadn't given the guy a very generous tip...but we did.  Knowing that the tags were intentionally CUT really infuriated me.  While on the cruise we learned, from some "locals", that the Union had been in a scuffle with the port about renewing their contract or some other ridiculous thing and that many people had suffered the same fate.

There's not much you can do, really.  It's not like you can carry your own BIG bags on.  You are forced to use them and if they are determined to cause a problem, then it's going to happen.  Very disappointing reality but the truth, nevertheless.

Now...for those who are going to say "that is the reason why I always put another set of luggage tags on the inside of my bags"....we did.  They will not open your bags unless you are present, so in THIS particular case (no tags), that action was useless.  I expect if the bags had gone unclaimed for some period of time then they have provisions for opening the bags eventually but on the first day, they will not open your bags...they expect you to come looking for them.  We did.  We found them and all was well, but it really irritated me.

I tip a buck per bag to the porters bringing the bags onto the ship (especially since I just had to tip the taxi driver to pull them out of the trunk...).  For the first time I used porters at disembarkation on my last cruise - I will always do so again.  After we locate the luggage we were zoomed to Customs (where we basically waited long enough for a 'high five' and go on our way) and into a taxi in less than 5 minutes.  He earned his generous tip!

Minimum of $5 total, but $1 to $2 per bag. I am a little more generous if we use them to disembark and they get us past all the lines and straight to customs. I am interested to see what other say as I am hoping I am not being cheap.

Nailed my philosophy

I agree $2 per bag and round up to the nearest denomination in $5 increments. Also, In regards to an unrelated post about bringing soda and water on board, it never hurts to tip the porters a little more if you have affixed a luggage tag to a case of water or diet pepsi.

That is the one and only port where I have had very BAD luck with the "porters".  Actually, the porters aren't the problem and (at least in Bayonne) the guys that meet you at your car to get your bags AREN'T porters.  They are longshoremen....and they are big time Union.

When we went on our Explorer repositioning out of Bayonne I gave [the guy who appeared to be "the boss"] $20.  He seemed to be collecting the money....for whatever that's worth.  When we got onboard and our bags were delivered, 2 were missing.  We had to go to GS to try and find them and sure enough, they were in the "lost and found" along with MANY other bags.  There were NO tags on either bag...and we have metal tags with a metal attachment so they HAD to have been cut off. 

Yikes...this give me a very bad taste in my mouth for sailing out of this port

So I need to tip the porters--good to know (newbie here). Since they are adding a $13.50 daily gratuity charge I would have assumed that was covered. So you can brink water on board? I read somewhere that you can not.

Many people don't tip but it's good practice too, it's your luggage! I'm paranoid about that stuff.

official answer is no water but they do allow it, iv never seen anyone refused. Just make sure you carry it on, if you check any liquids you go to the naughty room to get your bags, so they can inspect to make sure its not alcohol.

I learned from last year that, when getting off the ship, porters are the way to go!

My back was hurting before we got onboard last week, and the terribly disappointing bed in my stateroom certainly didn't help, 

but I was completely happy to tip $15 to get a porter when we got in on Sunday.  Best money I spent all week!  I couldn't imagine

standing in that serpentine hell just to save a little cash.  

I learned from last year that, when getting off the ship, porters are the way to go!

My back was hurting before we got onboard last week, and the terribly disappointing bed in my stateroom certainly didn't help, 

but I was completely happy to tip $15 to get a porter when we got in on Sunday.  Best money I spent all week!  I couldn't imagine

standing in that serpentine hell just to save a little cash.  

I pulled my back on embarkation day when I was on Freedom of the Seas so I know exactly what you mean!

Why would you not just have good luggage with rollers? If seems anyone who travels should invest in bags with good rollers and not need to lift bags, or use porters. While not against porters not also available and it is best to have options.

Why would you not just have good luggage with rollers? If seems anyone who travels should invest in bags with good rollers and not need to lift bags, or use porters. While not against porters not also available and it is best to have options.

My problem is not the luggage itself, it is the amount of luggage I have.  And I enjoy being lazy on vacation

We do have new(-ish) luggage and they roll just fine.  However, with my back hurting as it was (and still is), paying for a porter was a no-brainer for me.  Standing is when it hurts the most, so even though I coulda saved a few bucks, utilizing the porter eliminated my having to stand in that very long line and go straight through.

• 3 years later...

Going on the ship we have 2 luggage so we give them 5 and are bag get to are room early. Now coming off is a different thing, (2 luggage) I point two the big is guy with a smile and give him my tickets and tell him that to look for the luggage with color ribbons and he get it and then he gets us thru with passports and then to are bus to the airport he will get us on the right bus and put the luggage right up front so he will get $10-15 depend on how much trouble it is to get to the bus.