Johnny Rockets

Clay Purvis

We’ve never done any specialty dining on board, but I thought we might try something different next cruise.  JR is the least expensive option and we love the MDR for dinner so I thought lunch one day at JR. I’m a little fuzzy on how it works. I’ve looked at the menu and I assume each person can order one appetizer, one burger, and one desert? Is anything unlimited?  Also I understand beverages are not included in the $9.95 or whatever fee it is unless you have a package. So if you have the refreshments package does that cover all beverages including milkshakes? And honestly is it even worth doing?  We have always enjoyed the complementary dining on previous cruises but Mariner has way more options than our two outings on Enchantment, so I figured if we were going to try something now is the time. 

@Clay Purvis

If you have the beverage package milk shakes are included as well.  The rules I believe differ on different classes how the food works.  On Quantum class ships you pay for each menu item, and on the other ships It is a flat fee for your food and you pay for your milkshakes if you do not have a beverage package.  Not sure which ship you are going to be on.

On Mariner you pay the cover charge per person and you order one entree per person and then whatever else you want as far as apps and dessert.  Soda is included with a JR meal there regardless of having a drink package.  Milkshakes are extra if you don't have a package but they will be included with the refreshment package if you choose to dine there.

1 hour ago, Clay Purvis said:

We’ve never done any specialty dining on board, but I thought we might try something different next cruise.  JR is the least expensive option and we love the MDR for dinner so I thought lunch one day at JR. I’m a little fuzzy on how it works. I’ve looked at the menu and I assume each person can order one appetizer, one burger, and one desert? Is anything unlimited?  Also I understand beverages are not included in the $9.95 or whatever fee it is unless you have a package. So if you have the refreshments package does that cover all beverages including milkshakes? And honestly is it even worth doing?  We have always enjoyed the complementary dining on previous cruises but Mariner has way more options than our two outings on Enchantment, so I figured if we were going to try something now is the time. 

The main reason we go to JR is for a change of pace and a good burger.  As more ships have good burgers in other venues, it isn't a "must do".  I like breakfast there once per cruise - no charge.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:22 AM, KenCP said:

@Clay Purvis

If you have the beverage package milk shakes are included as well.  The rules I believe differ on different classes how the food works.  On Quantum class ships you pay for each menu item, and on the other ships It is a flat fee for your food and you pay for your milkshakes if you do not have a beverage package.  Not sure which ship you are going to be on.

I have the beverage package on Allure. Can I get a milkshake to-go, or does this have to be a sit-down meal?

I am looking forward to eating at JR just for the atmosphere and the feel of a diner.  My dad used to take me to one as a kid and it was always a good time.  I am sure the food will be similar to a quick service type of meal, but i am alright with it.  When the meal is finished and if I dont think its worth a 2nd time then oh well I tried it.  I think vacation is the time to try new/different things.  Especially on a cruise where usually if you do not like the food served you can get something else and still have a good meal. 

We have done JR a couple of times, and in both cases were on Freedom class ships where we sat outside, overlooking the water, and the place was almost dead (for dinner). That alone made it worth it to avoid the busy, loud indoor establishments and enjoy a quiet meal in the fresh air. Food is meh, of course, but it has been an enjoyable (and filling) experience. 

2 hours ago, Zacharius said:

We have done JR a couple of times, and in both cases were on Freedom class ships where we sat outside, overlooking the water, and the place was almost dead (for dinner). That alone made it worth it to avoid the busy, loud indoor establishments and enjoy a quiet meal in the fresh air. Food is meh, of course, but it has been an enjoyable (and filling) experience. 

Don't think its like this on Navigator any longer...a la carte on the pool deck.....not the same look or feel or vive as before..from what I can tell

Johnny Rockets is just fine.

Not great. Not awful. But fine. 

In the just over 10 years I've been cruising, the cost has more than doubled. 

The quality of the food and the experience has not increased to commensurate with the price increase.

What really grinds my gear is how a competing line has an authentic gourmet burger joint that is included with the cruise fare and by all accounts from those who have tried both is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Johnny Rockets...