Advice for Repricing

kadmgs

I have a B2B on Mariner in July that I literally paid off a week ago. I just checked after reading Matt's post about the current sale and I could save approximately $380. Not a huge savings, but will make up a bit for the crazy price on the DDP. How does the process work to reprice? Do I have to cancel and rebook? We are relatively new to cruising and our previous cruises did not have price drops (that I saw). I booked these myself, so no TA to help me. (I know, I know... transfer future cruises to a TA). TIA for any advice you can give. 

48 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

I have a B2B on Mariner in July that I literally paid off a week ago. I just checked after reading Matt's post about the current sale and I could save approximately $380. Not a huge savings, but will make up a bit for the crazy price on the DDP. How does the process work to reprice? Do I have to cancel and rebook? We are relatively new to cruising and our previous cruises did not have price drops (that I saw). I booked these myself, so no TA to help me. (I know, I know... transfer future cruises to a TA). TIA for any advice you can give. 

When you cruise in the future and use a TA, make sure your TA does repricing. As stated on some other threads here, not all TA's provide that service and make sure your TA doesn't charge you. They get a commission from RC so their services should be free to you, at least where booking a RC cruise is concerned. If they want to charge you, they are not the TA for you. I would like to put a plug in for Danette, from MEI. She has repriced my current cruise twice, without me asking, and saved me $1400!

Happy Cruising!

32 minutes ago, FManke said:

When you cruise in the future and use a TA, make sure your TA does repricing. As stated on some other threads here, not all TA's provide that service and make sure your TA doesn't charge you. They get a commission from RC so their services should be free to you, at least where booking a RC cruise is concerned. If they want to charge you, they are not the TA for you. I would like to put a plug in for Danette, from MEI. She has repriced my current cruise twice, without me asking, and saved me $1400!

Happy Cruising!

I have two more cruises booked, so I will transfer them. Is there a way to contact Danette directly?

• 2 months later...

All the threads on repricing and on FCC I didn't think I should start a new one.

Anyone have experience repricing your cabin after a FCC is applied? Our cabin went down about another $1K a week or two after we repriced and added FCC to the booking. I got RC on the phone to ask about repricing and she had to check with the resolutions department since there's a FCC and got disconnected. I had been on hold 3 hours and didn't want to do that again so gave it a couple days and am on hold to try again today but wondered: is it a big deal to reprice after a FCC has been applied?

Side note: this is the cruise we had booked before we started using MEI, which is why I am doing it myself.

45 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

is it a big deal to reprice after a FCC has been applied?

Generally, as a rule of thumb, I never apply an FCC until final payment.  Reason is that it affects re-pricing big time.  In the past, when I apply an FCC, it changes the actual cruise fare paid, so when the price drops, it messes up the price drop because it will show that you paid less than the price drop itself.  I'm not explaining it well at all but, yes, it is a big deal.

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Generally, as a rule of thumb, I never apply an FCC until final payment.  Reason is that it affects re-pricing big time.  In the past, when I apply an FCC, it changes the actual cruise fare paid, so when the price drops, it messes up the price drop because it will show that you paid less than the price drop itself.  I'm not explaining it well at all but, yes, it is a big deal.

I understand. I had gotten a FCC from a cruise last year and it was worded in a way that stated it would have to be used on a cruise before our next one which is this December. I brought it to our travel agent and he was able to call Royal up and have it applied to that cruise. What they did was apply it to the base cruise fare. I wish it could have been applied as some kind of discount because the cruise price had dropped below what we were originally paying a few weeks later, but with the FCC applied to the base rate, that was lower. 

10 minutes ago, USFFrank said:

I understand. I had gotten a FCC from a cruise last year and it was worded in a way that stated it would have to be used on a cruise before our next one which is this December. I brought it to our travel agent and he was able to call Royal up and have it applied to that cruise. What they did was apply it to the base cruise fare. I wish it could have been applied as some kind of discount because the cruise price had dropped below what we were originally paying a few weeks later, but with the FCC applied to the base rate, that was lower. 

^^^Yes! What he said! ?

23 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Grrr, ok that was the info I was after, thanks. Now to decide if it's worth it to even try! It's a decent price drop that we'd save so it feels worth it, but on top of that the suite is also sold out so although they told us the new price I think sometimes not all customer service reps know that it is possible to re-price a sold out room. 

Well, I am on my second attempt and holding for 1:43 this time so I will give it a shot. Thanks for your feedback!

1 minute ago, PRebecca said:

Grrr, ok that was the info I was after, thanks. Now to decide if it's worth it to even try! It's a decent price drop that we'd save so it feels worth it, but on top of that the suite is also sold out so although they told us the new price I think sometimes not all customer service reps know that it is possible to re-price a sold out room. 

Well, I am on my second attempt and holding for 1:43 this time so I will give it a shot. Thanks for your feedback!

They can ? reprice a sold out room category. I always do this. The FCC though, that is another story. Look at your confirmation and see what the base fare is after you applied your FCC. If your price drop is lower than that, it should not be an issue. However, if not, then you might not have much luck. 

35 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

1 hour ago, PRebecca said:

is it a big deal to reprice after a FCC has been applied?

I don't think so but I haven't tried this.  I did use a FCC that was applied to an existing reservation which resulted in a significant refund after everything was repriced.  You can only apply the FCC to the cruise fare --- NOT the taxes, fees, and gratuities, etc.  In my case, the FCC was slightly less that the cruise fare so it looks like the cruise fare is reduced to almost zero.  Therefore, I could apply the entire FCC.  As long as the cruise fare isn't reduced to zero then there is room to reprice.   

When the FCC is more than the cruise fare ...  basically you NO CAN DO because it really gets complicated.  In that case, I would recommend an upgrade so the fare increases

1 minute ago, Dad2Cue said:

I don't think so but I haven't tried this.  I did use a FCC that was applied to an existing reservation which resulted in a significant refund after everything was repriced.  You can only apply the FCC to the cruise fare --- NOT the taxes, fees, and gratuities, etc.  In my case, the FCC was slightly less that the cruise fare so it looks like the cruise fare is reduced to almost zero.  Therefore, I could apply the entire FCC.  As long as the cruise fare isn't reduced to zero then there is room to reprice.   

When the FCC is more than the cruise fare ...  basically you NO CAN DO because it really gets complicated.  In that case, I would recommend an upgrade so the fare increases

So we applied the FCC to an existing reservation that we had upgraded to a suite knowing we had a decent FCC on the way. So what we had paid already on the cruise ended up showing at the cruise amount and we will get the leftover FCC after we sail to use on the next trip.

So to use simple figures for example purposes, the trip was $6K  and we had paid $3K and then applied the $4K FCC to it which leaves us with $1K FCC to apply to next years trip. The new price (still using simple figures for example purpose) is $4K for the room after the FCC our fare only shows we paid $3K so although the cabin is $2K cheaper it doesn't appear as such since we used the FCC. Essentially I am trying to get the $2K price drop taken off but at this point it's gotten too complicated, as you've mentioned.

Oh well, again it's a lesson learned for next time! I wouldn't have known to do any of this before joining this board so I am still coming out ahead and wiser for next time ?

1 hour ago, PRebecca said:

So to use simple figures for example purposes, the trip was $6K  and we had paid $3K and then applied the $4K FCC to it which leaves us with $1K FCC to apply to next years trip.?

Mine was something like that but the $1K was refunded so I didn't have any leftover FCC.  They did everything behind the scene and I was just on hold for about 30 minutes.  They did talk to me once in awhile trying to explain what they were doing.  

I did learn that if you mention that you want to upgrade something they are more eager to work with you.

Otherwise, a reprice is easy and fun to do.  When a FCC is involved - not so much fun and just more headache. ? <---exploding head