Side to Side Cruise Coming Up, question.

KenCP

I am booking a back to back but on 2 different ships.  Anyone have any experience with this? 

When i get off Empress, will the terminal be open to go into and wait until boarding time for Navigator?  I have 3 nights in Miami and will arriving a few days before the first cruise and it is actually cheaper to go on another cruise than book 3 nights in a hotel.  Why not get a few more C&A points.

Edited by KenCP
New Cruising term

Just now, KenCP said:

I am booking a back to back but on 2 different ships.  Anyone have any experience with this? 

When i get off Empress, will the terminal be open to go into and wait until boarding time for Navigator?  I have 3 nights in Miami and will arriving a few days before the first cruise and it is actually cheaper to go on another cruise than book 3 nights in a hotel.  Why not get a few more C&A points.

This is called a Side to Side (S2S)(vs B2B).  We did it this past year.  We boarded Brilliance in Tampa November 25 for a 5 night Thanksgiving cruise which ended in Tampa on Nov. 30.  We drove (rental) from Tampa to Miami, spent the night in Miami and boarded Oasis on December 1 for a 7 night cruise.  A slightly modified S2S since we spent 1 night on land, but close enough.

Just now, KenCP said:

@WAAAYTOOO Thank you!  I love learning something new about cruising on here. First time I have seen Side to Side.  I must of gotten the Royal Cruising bug this will be my third cruise in the 8 months, and have booked a transatlantic for next year too.

WOOHOO !!!!  So glad that you are "all in".  Welcome to the asylum

On my bucket list is to do a B2B and I thought this was going to happen this year. Unfortunately I could not swing 14 days on Liberty, so it is nice to know that what i planned is actually called a cruise term. I have version of a side to side coming up in Oct/Nov. I do Liberty Oct 25th and when I embark that sun I fly out to board Navigator on Mon the 2nd. Its not a true S2S or B2B but it is 2 cruises within 24hrs of each other. The important thing is that its 2 cruises ???

Navigator is using terminal A at the moment and that terminal becomes a train wreck around 9:30am (traffic congestion).  I'd suggest trying to get to terminal A as soon as possible upon debarking Empress even if you have to wait outside for a few minutes for the terminal to open.

For me Empress mostly used terminal G last year and once in 2018 it used terminal J - the only terminal on the other side of Dodge Island.  It all depends what other ships are in port that day.  Empress can fit anywhere, some other ships can't.

Inquire at Guest Services while on Empress to see if Royal will offer a shuttle to Navigator.  It isn't an official service so they may or may not do it for you.   

When they do offer a S2S shuttle it isn't always intuitive where to go.  Most ship crew can't go off the ship to work in the terminal, their ship work VISAs don't allow it.  Terminal workers are contractors for the port, not Royal employees.  No one seems to know anything amidst the scramble of airport buses and hotel or car rental shuttle vans descending on the terminal.  In some cases I'm tempted to pay an Uber for convenience.