Let's talk money

Jeff

Technically, you don't need to bring any money as everything can be settled to a credit card if you happen to rack up any charges on your room account. The better question is what do you plan to do in the Bahamas? That's where you'll need some cash. However, if you plan to stay onboard, then that's a non issue.

If you're doing a 3 day cruise, is it safe to assume you'll be in Nassau and Coco Cay?

At least for Coco Cay, it's a private island and everything on the island will be handled with your Sea Pass. The only cash really needed there will be if you plan to make any purchases from one of the local vendors in the craft area. As for Nassau, as DocLC said, it really depends on what you want to do there. I typically bring cash ashore with me for any little purchases or souvaniers, but that's entirely up to you.

I would travel with a small amount of cash equal to what you believe you would spend by 1 to 2x times. But just as important as the cash I would travel with at least one ATM card. The ATM on the ship will give you US dollars they do add a small fee about $6.50 per transaction so better to do one larger transaction than two smaller ones.

You can also use a credit card in many places both on and off the ship and you can get card with your credit card on the ship, but a little costly. Maybe it is because I do not spend much time in the United States anymore but I always have cash in my pocket. The idea of going anywhere and not having several hundred dollars in cash just makes me uncomfortable. 

As others have stated, it can really depend.

Safe thing is to bring a couple hundred dollars and some credit cards. There really is no steadfast answer we can give for everyone because it really depends on what you like to do for fun.

I find on any cruise that I am nickled and dimed to death. I have to tip the porter that drags my suitcase to the counter, $2 or $3 for that. I can't drag it myself, just had my left hip replaced. I then use wheelchair service because the airport is huge and to walk all of it wouldn't work. Depending on the person pushing me around that is at least a $5 tip. Repeat when you get to the port airport, another, $2 or $3 and another $5 to $10. Then the bus driver, I really don't understand why he is tipped, he picks up my luggage and  throws it in the bus, $2 or $3. When I get to port, the porter there, $3 to $5. It just goes on and on. I kept a record when I went to Vegas about three weeks ago and ended up tipping a total of $75, that included waiters/waitresses, bag handlers, airport personnel, etc. That is absolutely ridiculous. I have read how much I am suppose to tip and I follow it, but I can't believe for a three day trip I tipped $75. I could have played that in a machine. :D

I would definitely take a couple of hundred for Nassau, if you are gambling, take lots more.

I have a nice fake leather travel document holder that I use for all our cruises, passports go in one side and the tickets/boarding passes, etc. go in the other. I also keep $200 cash in there for every cruise. Usually about half in 20's the other half in small bills (mostly 5's and 1's).

Generally I bring most of it back with me but I like to have the small bills in particular for tipping randomly.

When we get back I refill the cash portion and its ready for next time out.

I have an upcoming cruise in Europe, will probably pull about $1000 for that one just to avoid having to use ATM's to pull cash, again probably wont need it all but easier to bring it back than deal with getting cash there. (at least for me)

I have a nice fake leather travel document holder that I use for all our cruises, passports go in one side and the tickets/boarding passes, etc. go in the other. I also keep $200 cash in there for every cruise. Usually about half in 20's the other half in small bills (mostly 5's and 1's).

Generally I bring most of it back with me but I like to have the small bills in particular for tipping randomly.

When we get back I refill the cash portion and its ready for next time out.

I have an upcoming cruise in Europe, will probably pull about $1000 for that one just to avoid having to use ATM's to pull cash, again probably wont need it all but easier to bring it back than deal with getting cash there. (at least for me)

thanks for the tip

• 9 months later...

Any good tips where I can get small bills for tipping? We are flying from Europe and we can not get 1$ bills from here. What would be most convenient (and free if possible) way to change let´s say a hundred dollars to 1$ bills? Can I do it onboard or is it better to do it before embarkation?

Any good tips where I can get small bills for tipping? We are flying from Europe and we can not get 1$ bills from here. What would be most convenient (and free if possible) way to change let´s say a hundred dollars to 1$ bills? Can I do it onboard or is it better to do it before embarkation?

Guest Services will provide change for you. Otherwise, you'll need to stop by bank.