Specialty Dining - Attire

mpink

I really need to get better with the search function on this board...

Our party is on the Unlimited Dining package for our cruise next week on Symphony, and we're trying to figure out what to pack.  Would shorts with a polo shirt be acceptable for Specialty dining?

We're planning on Wonderland, Chops, 150 Central Park, and Jamie's.  All suggest "smart casual" which states "Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed."  

I'm on vacation and want to enjoy great food at my own comfort level, but I also don't want to under-dress for the venues.  If it requires a few additional pairs of khakis in my luggage, so be it.

I would say "yes".  Others will say "no".  As long as you TRY and look snappy, that's really all you need.  Dan always wears long pants to dinner, regardless of where we dine.  I will wear whatever I have on that day so long as it is not pool/beachwear.  On formal nights I would say long pants for the guys and something a little nice for the ladies, but trust me...nobody will be turned away as long as they don't have on pool attire.  As you say, this is YOUR vacation.  Do whatever makes you comfortable.

35 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I would say "yes".  Others will say "no".  As long as you TRY and look snappy, that's really all you need.  Dan always wears long pants to dinner, regardless of where we dine.  I will wear whatever I have on that day so long as it is not pool/beachwear.  On formal nights I would say long pants for the guys and something a little nice for the ladies, but trust me...nobody will be turned away as long as they don't have on pool attire.  As you say, this is YOUR vacation.  Do whatever makes you comfortable.

That sounds like us.  DH always wears long pants & either a polo shirt or dress shirt with blazer, with or without a tie, depending on the venue (we never do Windjammer for dinner, so it's either MDR, specialty, or on Anthem, Coastal Kitchen).  I wear either long sundresses or dressy pants/top with low sandals (knee issues prohibit heels for me).  I'll often skip makeup during the day, but will wear it for dinner, along with a little jewelery.  Won't go crazy, but do like to make the effort.

7 hours ago, mpink said:

I really need to get better with the search function on this board...

Our party is on the Unlimited Dining package for our cruise next week on Symphony, and we're trying to figure out what to pack.  Would shorts with a polo shirt be acceptable for Specialty dining?

We're planning on Wonderland, Chops, 150 Central Park, and Jamie's.  All suggest "smart casual" which states "Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed."  

I'm on vacation and want to enjoy great food at my own comfort level, but I also don't want to under-dress for the venues.  If it requires a few additional pairs of khakis in my luggage, so be it.

I am one who would say you should avoid shorts at dinner if you are trying out a "nice restaurant".  That said, it is your choice.  Just try to be considerate of others who may be celebrating a special night in a special restaurant and hoping for a special atmosphere.  In the end, we all try to balance our desire to please ourselves and our commitment to be supportive of others ( normal social conventions).  Have a great cruise!

I’ll add that if you are choosing specialty dining they all have their own feel, so what you might be comfortable with at one may not work for others.  

Not sure if Jamie’s is still there but that seemed like jean and collar shirt.  Chops would be also jeans at minimum but more likely Khaki’s or nicer.   Izumi also jeans at minimum, that one seemed more casual on the Quantuum class ships.  There is no Wonderland on Symphony, right?  That is another that I would do something nicer than jeans.  And Chef’s Table is someplace where I would also dress up more.