Alaskan or Northeast Foliage Cruise- which is better?

RCIDreamer96

I have had plenty of vacations in the Caribbean- now I'm ready to revisit other areas. Many of my friends recommend the Alaskan cruise, but the foliage cruise is more in our budget for the time being. Are the Alaskan cruises worth the money? What shore excursions are available for each? Interested in a less relaxing vacation and looking for a little more adventure 

I've got both on my horizon, because honestly, I'm not much of a warm-weather beaches kinda guy...though I'm doing the Bahamas late this year, mainly for the side destinations. Before that, I'm doing a May cruise to New England and Canada. Fall 2021, I'm doing Canada again -- Montreal round-trip along the St. Lawrence River. The first Canada trip I'm doing because I can sail out of Baltimore, which means no airfare, and next fall, well...it's my birthday, it's a unique itinerary for RC with only one sailing date, and it's after Alaska cruise season.

All that being said, I'm also looking very forward to Alaska, too -- likely next spring or the spring after that if I can bring myself to wait that long -- because I know it'll be a wholly different experience. There's likely to be boat excursions along the coast and up in Alaska, and of course in Alaska, I can walk on a glacier!

I've not yet done the Canada cruise but I do want to do it...can't seem to get my family to agree to go!
We went to Alaska this past summer, courtesy of my very generous mother in law who was celebrating a big birthday.  It was absolutely AMAZING.  She had booked us the 3 day pre cruise land package and that too was amazing...very tiring...and we were glad to get on the ship so we could "relax" LOL.  
If you are booking Alaska realize that one side of the ship costs more than the other.  We had a balcony but honestly did not spend a lot of time on it....when it came to it we were on excursions or mostly on the deck looking over the rails.  Though the balcony was quite nice.
The Alaska excursions DO book up so when you do decide to book the cruise look at what excursions are available and don't hesitate. (well, the helicopter one my daughter wanted to go on was full-so maybe I'm exaggerating about things booking up?)  Whale watching in Icy Strait was amazing and  the seafood bake that followed was fantastic.  We lucked out with the weather-if you call a heat wave luck! 

fullsizeoutput_7922.jpeg

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

I have to agree with what has been said here, I have been on quite a few "warm weather" cruises and while I have not had a bad one yet I have to say that Alaska was the absolute  best one that I have had yet.  Canada is definitely on my to do list within the next few years but I know that it will not be as amazing as Alaska was.  That being said, if your pockets can not afford an Alaska cruise at the moment then do what you can afford.  I can tell you that our trip from the point that we left here to the point that we got back home was about $10k we did not do anything that was super expensive, and we also stayed in Seattle for a few days prior to the cruise.  I did splurge for a Junior Suite since it was only $700 more than a balcony at the time of our booking, and that was the only major splurge that we did for the entire trip.  Shore excursions are going to be FAR more expensive than what you are used to!!  

1 hour ago, Okgladgal said:

Cruise to Alaska and drive to New England. We've done several foliage trips to New England and enjoyed driving our rental car on the backroads, barely making it to the next destination in the daylight. 

What makes 2 Canada cruises so attractive for me is the fact that I don't drive -- so it lets me get places up the coast a lot easier than via train or bus or paying out the nose for flights into regional airports! As was said above, cruise what you can afford -- and right now, the scenery I can afford is up the coast, and I'm really excited about both my trips! ?

Of course, I'm also salivating at the notion of Alaska. I was just thinking tonight that if I put it off until 2022 as my "main cruise" for that year, I'll be able to save up a lot more and have an experience that is much more grand without costing me grands more (Coast-to-coast flights are a lot for both the body and the wallet! ?)  Of course, that means I'll have to come up with a spring cruise for next year, because I'm not sure I can make it from December until October without a cruise! ?