Would you rather...

Mikeb1892

3 minutes ago, Brando95 said:

2 cruises … can you cheat and do a virtual balcony? 

I'd pay for the upcharge to get the virtual in a heartbeat this way!

Heck if I'm being offered two cruises I would sleep in a room that only fit a bed and space to stand my suitcase up.  I'll find a way to get cleaned up and brush my teeth.

@Katiel53 I wouldn't want to sail in an inside if I had to share. If I cruise solo then I cannot imagine really needing a balcony....unless I was on an Oasis class ship.

I originally said that obviously 2 cruise is better than one but there are a lot of factors to consider. I am a bougie type of girl who has no problem spending money on comforts, but there are just some things even my ego cannot justify. There is absolutely no reason for anything other than an interior on a port heavy/bucket list cruise. The extra money could be spent on experiences. Even more so when you are traveling solo. There are a lot of factors to consider and I think the answer would change with each sailing.

55 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

I wonder how the folks on the Diamond Princess feel about Insides?

Not exactly a fair question, since no one at all books a cabin expecting to be confined to quarters for two straight weeks. Especially when booking a trip like that is typically done at least a year in advance; who would have had any inkling at all a problem like that would be coming down the pike?

I imagine that was as much a bucket list cruise for many of them as doing Alaska or Iceland or the Greek isles would be, and that booking inside cabins is what made it possible for them / allowed them to make it a trip of a lifetime through the excursions they bought.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:45 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Assuming that time off is not a factor, I would take 2 cruises in inside cabins per year. More C&A points.

I call shenanigans. I seem to recall a certain stubborn Canadian Scorpio having issues with being in an OV cabin last year, not to mention being the queen bee of the Suite Snob Contingent here! ??

image.gif.51f7f45bc954b9e673b33728a13fec5e.gif

34 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I call shenanigans. I seem to recall a certain stubborn Canadian Scorpio having issues with being in an OV cabin last year, not to mention being the queen bee of the Suite Snob Contingent here! ??

image.gif.51f7f45bc954b9e673b33728a13fec5e.gif

I was answering hypothetically lol.  You know I would never personally cruise in an inside cabin!  I did it once, never again.

7 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 A smidgen off topic but you have an unofficial group cruise on Oasis in 2022, what are those dates because I am looking to cruise around then...it might be fun to meet some of you since I will be solo.

It's Oasis 03/13/2022.  That sailing is going to be epic!  We are calling it #majorstarclasstakeover. ?

Everyone has their own criteria and comfort levels.

For us, it's about getting on the ship.  

An inside room allowed me to do a b2b last month, and is allowing me to do another in Aug/Sept 2021.

Right now we are seriously considering grabbing a 4-night to Cozumel from Galveston this coming fall for $207 pp (inside gty).

As I can get claustrophobic at times, a balcony is a must for me. If I did not have that issue I’d go with double the cruises to build up to Diamond faster. 

After seeing what happened on the Princess Diamond it would be more difficult to do an inside cabin. Not that I expect a widespread ship quarantine to happen again, but if I became ill and was stuck in my cabin I would want the balcony and fresh air. 

I am not one to just sit around in my room and watch TV or whatever, so 2 cruises with interior rooms is what I would do. There are always places on the ship that is pretty much quiet and you can just chill out. My room is for changing clothes, bathing, and sleeping. Personally, the balcony is a waste of money because I won't be staying in the room very often. It all comes down to what  you use your room for and if you are ok being in a smaller room. Also, some ships have a virtual balcony for not much more than a regular inside room. It has a real time view of outside.

The only concession I've made so far to anything but an inside room is thanks to this weekend's sale, the price dropped enough that I was able to switch to a non-refundable deposit for my holiday sailing on Grandeur and upgrade to an ocean-view stateroom. Did I need it? No...but the price is dead-even with what I owe for final payment for this particular cruise. Plus, I was able to get the ocean-view cabin directly across from the inside cabin I'll have on my May cruise on Grandeur. Hey, I'm easily entertained! ?

I have only sailed an interior as an 11 year old and even on a cruise with my very best friend we found the room lacking. AT 11. hahaha

Suffice it to say I would pick 1 cruise/year with a balcony every time. On my 40-line cruise pricing spreadsheet I have not once priced a cruise for anything under OVB. I priced one Ocean View but it's only because it was on Empress and OVB isnt an option. ?

896175813_ScreenShot2020-02-21at1_40_47PM.thumb.png.a9bc60444f182dc7e9789465a8fd2e60.png

On ‎2020‎/‎02‎/‎18 at 8:54 AM, twangster said:

More cruises.

My fondest cruise memories don't generally involve my cabin.  

This ^^^^^ And I can"t stress this enough.....this^^^^^^^^^

Of course, there isn't necessarily a right answer to this question, it is just a matter of preference. Some people are on the ship purely for relaxation and so the balcony makes sense. Myself, I cruise for the experiences. I've often said I don't even need a cabin just get me on the ship. I'll sleep on a deck chair and shower in the gym. (My wife disagrees with this philosophy).

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

So...wow....do you plan to take all of these? Or do you do this spreadsheet to weigh out the possibilities?

NO way!!!! Just comparing the "value" of price divided by number of days for certain classes of ships! I am not quite of an age to afford anything over a JS so I only look at those two variables. So if the price per day and total price look good I put it on a more refined list of maybe bookings.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:44 PM, DDaley said:

Suffice it to say I would pick 1 cruise/year with a balcony every time. On my 40-line cruise pricing spreadsheet I have not once priced a cruise for anything under OVB. I priced one Ocean View but it's only because it was on Empress and OVB isnt an option. ?

Nice spreadsheet! I love to know I'm not the only geek out here.

Right now there are some last minute Alaska deals.  $410 interior or $1,584 in a balcony, per person plus taxes.  

For two people the cruise fare (pre-tax) is $820 interior or $3,168 for a balcony, a savings of $2,348.  That doesn't include any special CAS pricing or discounts, that's the rate anyone can book.  

Do you have any idea what kind of awesome excursions you can get for that savings?  Think of it this way...  how about basically free airfare and some free excursions by choosing an interior cabin.  

I've done Alaska in an interior cabin. It was awesome.  Read about it here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9160-not-so-live-blog-radiance-of-the-seas-alaska-southbound-83118/

Does it look like I missed out because I was in an interior cabin?

If the choice is to wait 5 years so you can save up for a balcony or experience Alaska now like I did in the thread above, I'd pick the cruise above in an interior cabin every time.

Plus as I sat on the train through the Alaskan wilderness I realized I was sitting higher than the folks next to me who had a balcony.  Why?  Because my wallet was a lot fatter.  

5 hours ago, twangster said:

For two people the cruise fare (pre-tax) is $820 interior or $3,168 for a balcony, a savings of $2,348.  That doesn't include any special CAS pricing or discounts, that's the rate anyone can book.  

Do you have any idea what kind of awesome excursions you can get for that savings?  Think of it this way...  how about basically free airfare and some free excursions by choosing an interior cabin.  

Yeah, this in a BIG way. And my Iceland & Greenland cruise on Celebrity is even crazier than this example.

Price for two when I booked, refundable deposit and no perks (not available on transatlantics like this when I booked) -- $4,500 after taxes & fees for Inside, vs $7,480 for a Verandah. A $3,020 difference.

Price for the exact same trip today, with the ship nearly sold out; but now includes 3 perks with refundable deposit -- $5,420 after taxes & fees for Inside, $10,580 for a Verandah. A whopping $5,160 savings for Inside!

And I had to book two cabins. So I've actually saved over $6,000 at the original rate by going with an Inside room. That savings covers almost everything else I'm buying for this trip.