Would you rather...

Mikeb1892

Definitely do 2 inside cabins oppose to one balcony...especially if it means I am doing 2 B2B, enjoyable itineraries. I have to fly from Chicago to any port so I want to get the most out of my cruises. If the inside cabins would be at different times of the year I might choose one balcony on a long itinerary. Because it might be cheaper than what flights, ridesharing and hotels might cost. 2 inside rooms could be more C&A points and faster status depending on who is traveling. A balcony is only good if you plan to spend at least 32% of the cruise in your room.

Currently doing two cruises a year! If the second cruise was free they could put me in the Solarium and I would be happy!?

Grandeur of the Seas  January 2019

Carnival Sensation      August 2019 Horrid

Anthem of the Seas     March 2020 Booked

Independence of the Seas August 2020 Booked

Actually, this is a difficult question for me. Solo, sure, all day long. With my wife, we really enjoy the balcony, we relax and enjoy each other, so it gets a bit more difficult to say 2 insides vs 1 balcony.

So, think I'd rather have that one, extended, relaxing experience with my wife with our own slice of the ocean and if we can swing it (assuming we can cause it is about $1000 difference or so) take a few long weekend land trips. 

2 is always better than 1 in our opinion. We had a balcony on our last cruise and rarely used it. Some people do and others do not, depends on each person's preferences. We are hardly in the cabin so it makes no difference to us. Until you reach the highest level of C&A points, the perks are minimal. We go for the relaxation and together time away from life at home.

10 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Actually, this is a difficult question for me. Solo, sure, all day long. With my wife, we really enjoy the balcony, we relax and enjoy each other, so it gets a bit more difficult to say 2 insides vs 1 balcony.

This hits the nail on the head. For just me, 2 inside trips would be great as I only spend about 30 minutes a day awake in the cabin. For my wife, the balcony is a must so if I want to travel with her the answer is 1 balcony.

I agree with @luv2sail, I would feel trapped in an interior. We also spend quite a bit of time in our cabin. It seems everyone in my family needs a place to go every afternoon on a cruise that is just us - no people, no din from across the bar, no flashing  lights seeping into our view. My autistic daughter especially needs time to reset, and the balcony gives us one more place to go when we're having quiet time. Plus, DH is up around 4:30 every morning, even on vacation. Poor guy might have an "accident" if we didn't have room to spread out a little and have a space further from the bed for him to read than what's offered in an interior. ?  Bottom line, we would hate being in an interior and to be honest would wait until we could swing the balcony or *gasp* take a land vacation. 

12 hours ago, Mikeb1892 said:

...go on 1 cruise per year in a balcony stateroom.

Or

...go on 2 cruises per year in an inside stateroom. 

And why? 

I would do the latter as more cruises would provide, well, more opportunity for adventure.  I don't use balconies that much.  When we get one, it is more for the larger room size and extra perks from our agent.  Inside rooms are better for sleeping.   Having said that, my wife now insists on an ocean view room....

Family of 4 here-- we either need one balcony or two inside rooms to be able to get some space. This year we did connecting interiors and mostly loved it. Except for when one of the kids needed down time and one of us needed to be in the room with them.  -- that was when we missed the balcony.   Trying a Central Park Balcony next year. 

So I guess this is a real choice for us every time - it's just for the same cruise instead of getting an "extra" ?  

More cruises.

Bucket list destinations come with bigger price tags.  I'd rather experience two special bucket list destinations rather than just one in my lifetime (or every 5 years).

Balconies are great, make no mistake, but once you step into the hall your cabin type is irrelevant.  Once you are off the ship even more so.  To experience a destination you take an excursion or tour.  By saving money on cabin type I can take over the top excursions and really experience a destination.

Suites are really great too.  Cruise once every 5 years in a suite, once every two years in a balcony or twice a year in interior?   

My fondest cruise memories don't generally involve my cabin.  

Two in an interior for sure. I think interior rooms are underrated and that they can offer a lot that people don't think about. I usually book an interior room (sometimes with a window to the Royal Promenade or other area) because of one word: NAPS. I always take a short nap or rest after we board the ship but before dinner, depending on what time we got back to our room. Interior rooms are mostly quiet and because there is no window it's very dark when all of the lights are off, and if you're like me, you need absolute darkness to sleep. Not to mention, interior rooms are less expensive than balcony's or suites, so I'm not only saving money but I'm getting some great sleep. 

Disclaimer: I've only ever cruised with my spouse, so if you're traveling with multiple people, book a larger stateroom. I'm just weird and like total darkness when a sleep, but I will say that the balcony rooms are nice

11 hours ago, DublinFC said:

We tried to book an inside room and changed it a few months later.  So I think we would end up with the 1 balcony cruise.  

When I took my first cruise many years ago, we booked an inside cabin.  Everyone told us that we would be given an upgrade.  Well, that didn't happen.  We boarded the ship, stepped in the cabin, stepped back out, got off the ship, and went back to the check in counter at the dock. Then, we paid to upgrade and got back on the ship and found our new cabin.  That sure wouldn't happen today!

Generally I'll take the balcony; like others here, my wife and I really enjoy the chance to hang out in the room on a sea day and watch the cobalt blue water go by, hear nothing but the sound of the waves, and just take in the peace of it all. The exception is when it's a bucket list trip or a port-intensive sailing that's going to have a big excursion budget involved. Then I'd strongly consider the inside cabin so that I had more money for those excursions, especially if the itinerary was rare / super-popular and priced higher than usual. Even then, it would depend on the ship; Quantum class has so many balconies relative to inside / OV cabins that the price difference would probably be small enough to allow the upgrade.