Straws

Cakelady

1 minute ago, Cakelady said:

We will be on the March 15th sailing of the Oasis.  This will be my first cruise and I am so excited.  I'm curious if RC still uses plastic straws or will I need to being my own if I do not want to use a paper one.  I just dont like the paper straw feeling in my mouth.  

Unfortunately, Royal has stopped using any plastic straws. If you want plastic you will have to bring your own

2 hours ago, Cakelady said:

We will be on the March 15th sailing of the Oasis.  This will be my first cruise and I am so excited.  I'm curious if RC still uses plastic straws or will I need to being my own if I do not want to use a paper one.  I just dont like the paper straw feeling in my mouth.  

Have an amazing time! I'm sure you will!

We really hate the paper straws too. Also thinking of purchasing silicone straws for our next cruise.

Funny, related, story : Went to Mellow Mushroom last weekend with my family...my son wanted a straw, and they brought paper straws out......that I had to put through a PLASTIC lid.

confused trailer park boys GIF  

Id opt for the stainless straws.  With two boys, we use straws all the time and have found we prefer the stainless steel ones to the silicone ones....but im sure its personal preference. We got some at Walmart with a cleaner for less than 5 bucks.  

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The problem (for me) with bringing my own straws is that I have no way to really carry them.  I know some people bring collapsible straws but that is not something I would do.  The whole bunch of plastic straws that I took with me on Oasis in December sat right where I left them when we unpacked.

Yep, I brought my collapsible straws every time, but had nothing to carry them in (or didn't want to carry anything to carry them in). I just learned to accept the paper straws.

Unless I'm drinking something in a car, I don't use a straw. The main reason is because I usually don't use ice in my drinks. First is that I find that it waters down the drink and secondly from working in the food industry for as long as I have, I've seen one too many dirty ice machines. ?

No thank you!

14 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

On my last cruise I brought compostable straws with me. They were just like regular plastic straws.  I don’t know how they work with the ship’s waste management system but I feel they are better than regular plastic ones.

BADD1712-DCBE-4C17-86CA-944B771B534B.jpeg

I wonder what the cost value of those would be versus the paper straws, if cruise lines went to those

As far as carrying the straws... I carry my plastic straw in my hand until I get to the bar... then I carry it in my drink... until I transfer it to the next drink, then the next... At the end of the day, I properly dispose of it, and start with a new one the next day. My husband does carry a few spares in his shirt pocket - but mostly to be the "Straw Fairy" and hand them out to all those who comment how jealous they are of my mega smoothie straws (for quicker delivery to my face). 

I also use the metal straws.  Ordered mine off Amazon (of course) and it came with the pipe cleaner.  Pack it all and we love it - especially with the drink package fits like a glove and happy to wash it every night.  At home we have the colored ones so that everyone knows what straw is theirs. Saves a little of the back and forth, you know, that mine not yours.   

18 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I wonder what the cost value of those would be versus the paper straws, if cruise lines went to those

I'm not sure how these compostable straws will work with the ship's waste management system.  Being compostable means the discarded straws need to be in contact with composting material and bacteria for them to decompose.

I purchased silicone ones with a small cleaner.  I wear a waist pouch when walking around the ship or by the pool in the day, so I put it in there.  Then I simply wash it out after use.  I forgot one time to bring it to the pool and the paper one got a hole in it half way through as it started to disintegrate.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jaredhamburg said:

I must be a rebel, because I am packing plastic straws.....The paper ones stink for my kids and always fall apart.

You're not the first ones to do it and probably won't be the last until they wind up on the contraband list with blow dryers and power strips.