Radiance of the seas thoughts

Well just used next cruise to book a cruise for May of 2021. It’s a Hawaii to Vancouver cruise 10 night cruise and it’s a bucket list cruise for my mom. Any thoughts on radiance of the seas. We’ve cruised on freedom, Mariner, oasis x 3, liberty, symphony and harmony so mostly bigger ships. I’m a little nervous about the smaller ship any thoughts on that aspect? Any advice is helpful as we’ve only cruised the Caribbean and Mexico (when those cruises existed from California)

I have sailed Radiance twice, the first time on essentially the same itinerary as you've got (mine was Hawaii to Ensenada). I love her! In fact, she's the reason I really fell in love with cruising for its own sake -- all those sea days at the end of that cruise. I thought for sure I'd get bored. Not a chance! Lots of things to do, and also lots of luxurious relaxation time! Before that I was completely about the ports and didn't care too much about the ship.

I love the Viking Crown space, especially when the bar is closed and there's no one there -- a great place to read or chat. The ship is just such a nice size, too; easy to get on and off, rarely has to tender. Hawaii is a comfortable place to cruise as well, with a lot more variety of activities than you might expect. 

Enjoy!

Radiance class are nice small ships.  They don't have newer innovations such as a zip line or bumper cars, adult water slides or ice skating rinks but these ships were originally built to offer more interesting itineraries and reach ports that big ships cannot.   They have a wonderful indoor adult only solarium as well as a small movie theater.  They offer the regular Royal activities such as trivia and bingo so all the normal things going on around the ship. 

Radiance normally offers some of the best Alaska itineraries and on Hawaii routes she is able to visit some additional ports that larger ships on these routes cannot.  

I loved Radiance on our Alaska cruise (I've also sailed Jewel and Brilliance in the same class). It's not going to be as elaborate as the big ships (or as complicated, really), but it's a lovely ship and wasn't considered that small until Oasis class came along. It's not much shorter than Mariner and is nearly 50% longer than Empress, the smallest one. Yet you won't have to do as much walking as on the longer ships. I felt like all I did was get my exercise on Independence. Radiance is a great ship to see the water on. I particularly enjoy the outside seating at the back of the Windjammer.

I was on Radiance two years ago, and we had a great time!  No its is not an Oasis or Quantum class ship but I can tell you that as long as you know this when getting onboard that you will still have a great time.  I believe that your cruise will be what you make it, I have been on some of the smallest ships in the fleet as well as the largest in the fleet, and I can tell you that while it did take some adjusting on our first small ship sailing we still had an amazing time.  Go in with your eyes open and expecting a great time, you will not be disappointed!  I also have to add, that Radiance was WAY larger than I expected and I would have no issues sailing on her again!  The itinerary that you guys are doing is one that is on my bucket list, and I would GLADLY take your place if you decide that it was not in your best interest at the last minute!!!!!?

8 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

I know this may seem like a little stretch, but the self leveling pool tables are amazing.  My kids learned how to play on the Serenade.  I wish they were on other class ships.

I'd like to see this in one of the pods of the seaplex aboard Anthem. However I believe I saw a rendering of playmakers being put in that area on Odyssey. 

8 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

I know this may seem like a little stretch, but the self leveling pool tables are amazing.  My kids learned how to play on the Serenade.  I wish they were on other class ships.

I remember them now. would love to see them back instead of the ping pong tables on other ships

22 hours ago, Kelslovestocruise said:

Well just used next cruise to book a cruise for May of 2021. It’s a Hawaii to Vancouver cruise 10 night cruise and it’s a bucket list cruise for my mom. Any thoughts on radiance of the seas. We’ve cruised on freedom, Mariner, oasis x 3, liberty, symphony and harmony so mostly bigger ships. I’m a little nervous about the smaller ship any thoughts on that aspect? Any advice is helpful as we’ve only cruised the Caribbean and Mexico (when those cruises existed from California)

I agree with the comments about the lounge on the top floor and the pool tables.  But of course the chess sets next to the pool tables get my vote, as does the small cinema.  We found the crew very friendly in 2018.

1 hour ago, RBRSKI said:

I totally forgot about the seating at the back of the ship.  I believe this is the only RCCL class ship that has this feature!  Not sure why it's not on more ships!

Quantum class has this feature as well. We took advantage most mornings on Anthem when we had breakfast at the Windjammer.

Just now, JLMoran said:

Quantum class has this feature as well. We took advantage most mornings on Anthem when we had breakfast at the Windjammer.

We were on the Odyssey for Christmas next year but changed it to the Oasis so we can do b2b Christmas/new-years for just a little more.  I hope they keep her in port everglades for some time so I can sail on her!!!

I love Radiance. My husband and I  did Hawaii to Vancouver a few years ago, and it was amazing. We were certainly on the younger end of our cruisemates, but we had a great time. The service was great, the staff was super attentive and really got to know us, which we loved. We really enjoyed the little movie theatre, the outdoor movies, the pool tables. We had a great time and would do it again. ?