REAL ID Act starting on October 1, 2020 !!

Driver’s licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles that are REAL ID compliant*  *REAL ID compliant cards are marked with a star at the top of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

Based on this map, most all states DMV's should already be issuing compliant driver's licenses. 

20200217_174744.thumb.jpg.58dcc8feaf171a4fb5d94c06292cd456.jpg

Be careful, not all states issue them by default. Pennsylvania, for instance, has a separate process for the RealID card. You have to go out of your way to get it and only at certain locations. If you just renew, you only get the noncompliant card. (I am pretty sure in PA’s case it is an example of the state legislators saying “you can’t tell me what to do” to the federal government). 

NY didn't start issuing them as default untill recently (last October I think) Luckily mine is up for renewal in March, so needed to renew anyway. Wife isn't but she's going to just request an Enhanced license when I do. We will both still cruise and travel internationally with passports, but for $30 more, might as well. 

While the missus and me will just use our passports to board plane flights for our cruise in the fall, I've been mystified by all the hype around the Real ID. Even if it's imbedded with some sort of fancy-smancy, secret spy technology, it seems to me that good fakes can be had by criminal masterminds no matter how cool they are. It's all more TSA re-arranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic if you ask me. ?

3 hours ago, ellcee said:

At least June. Because mine was up for renewal and I had to find my entire life (it felt like that with all the forms needed) and I got mine then.

Ugh, yeah I did the check list, utility bills, passport, social security card... Mine is up next month, wife and I will go together, get the enhanced and be done with it :).  

On 2/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I tried getting a Real ID the last time I renewed, but the staff at the DMV were clueless dicks, so I'm just going to use my passport, lol.

Indeed, we had this same issue when trying to get my son's license.  They didn't understand their own rules and wouldn't give him one. 

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Just a heads up that the Department of Homeland Security is extending the deadline for REAL ID by one year (October 1, 2021).

So does that bring it to 20 years to implement this supposedly vital piece of national security legislation?  I think this law was cursed!

On 2/17/2020 at 5:23 PM, Chadster said:

My ID doesn't expire until exactly a year later, so they won't renew mine. But they will send me an exact duplicate which is RealID compliant -- but still expires in 2021. ?

Exact same thing happened to me. I have two ID’s , a DL and a real ID that expire in 5/21. My husband got a real ID and his DL all in one because his DL was expiring, they even punched void on his old DL. Didn’t do that for me, I guess we will see what happens come next May when my DL expires! 

On 3/28/2020 at 7:50 AM, HeWhoWaits said:

At most it should have been extended by the length of time that the "official panic" lasts.

I agree with this. I don't see a point in doing away with it. It's just a simple increase in sophistication in our government ID's its not hurting anybody and it's not a big deal because they already know the information we are supplying anyway, more or less they are just verifying it

• 2 years later...
31 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

TSA precheck is some of the best money I have spent in a long time

When it works for me, it's awesome.  

My last name has an apostrophe.  It's on my passport and Precheck info, but so far, any airline I've flown on doesn't recognize it.  Sometimes Precheck shows up for me, other times it doesn't. 

56 minutes ago, teddy said:

When it works for me, it's awesome.  

My last name has an apostrophe.  It's on my passport and Precheck info, but so far, any airline I've flown on doesn't recognize it.  Sometimes Precheck shows up for me, other times it doesn't. 

A good friend of mine has an apostrophe and travels a lot for work. Always complains about issues with it. 

13 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

I traveled by air over Thanksgiving week (Sat before, Wed before, and Sun after).  I was shocked how few people were using TSA precheck.  I never had to wait for more than a minute to get thru the check point.  LOVE IT! 

When I flew in August, the line for Clear was probably 100 deep, yet hardly anyone in the standard precheck line.

On a related topic (slightly), I read yesterday that Delta is no longer going to allow those who "purchase" their Sky Club eligibility through AMX to use the Sky Club unless they're flying first class.  This is a HUGE deal, to me (as I have done similarly with AA through Visa).  So basically, those who have access to the Sky Club through their AMX but not through their rewards/seniority with Delta itself, will be locked out of the Sky Club unless they're flying First Class.  They cite overcrowding in the Clubs.  Of course, I'm sure they (just like AA) have not reopened all of their Clubs post COVID so it shouldn't be a surprise that the Clubs are overcrowded.  Just one more example (IMO) where the Corps realized considerable savings from the COVID lockdowns and don't want to return to their former level of service.

I'm sure it won't be long before AA does the same thing with us Visa-eligibles.  That will be the end of that credit card !  I never use that one anyway.  I JUST have it for the Admiral's Club access.  If that goes away, so will my AA Visa card.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

On a related topic (slightly), I read yesterday that Delta is no longer going to allow those who "purchase" their Sky Club eligibility through AMX to use the Sky Club unless they're flying first class.  This is a HUGE deal, to me (as I have done similarly with AA through Visa).  So basically, those who have access to the Sky Club through their AMX but not through their rewards/seniority with Delta itself, will be locked out of the Sky Club unless they're flying First Class.  They cite overcrowding in the Clubs.  Of course, I'm sure they (just like AA) have not reopened all of their Clubs post COVID so it shouldn't be a surprise that the Clubs are overcrowded.  Just one more example (IMO) where the Corps realized considerable savings from the COVID lockdowns and don't want to return to their former level of service.

I'm sure it won't be long before AA does the same thing with us Visa-eligibles.  That will be the end of that credit card !  I never use that one anyway.  I JUST have it for the Admiral's Club access.  If that goes away, so will my AA Visa card.

Unfortunately, lots of Airlines have reduced and limited the clubs/lounge amenities. Admiral's Club feels like just another terminal area but with comfier chairs. 

7 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

How is this related at all? ALL SkyClubs are operating and in fact they are opening eight new ones. Overcrowding is nothing new at SkyClubs. 

1 hour ago, BMW Hoosier said:

How is this related at all? ALL SkyClubs are operating and in fact they are opening eight new ones. Overcrowding is nothing new at SkyClubs. 

The topic is about flying and ID compliance. TSA precheck/Clear was mentioned along with how they reduce wait times. Some people wait in lounges/clubs. This person relayed that people who use certain credit cards to get in the lounges/clubs might not be able to any longer unless they are flying a certain class.

22 hours ago, KJones said:

I'd go one farther, and say for the extra $20 Global Entry is an even better deal (assuming one travels internationally)

If you fly internationally a lot, Global Entry is definitely worth every penny.  You save a TON of time using Global Entry if you are reentering the U.S. at airports like MIA, ATL, JFK, EWR, BOS, ORD, DFW and LAX.